“Beautiful hotel”

Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Deauville
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Very beautiful hotel with amazing views!
We had a room on upper floor with a king size bed.
The hotel was renting bicycles (free of charge) that we decided to take and go around Deauville - it was just wonderful!

The food is just AMAZING (however priced quiet high).

The service is excellent and I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: upper floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
RDdirection, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Dear Malvina31,

Thank you for your comments.
I am delighted to read that your time at the Royal was enjoyable and that you had the occasion to discover Deauville with our bicycles.
I will make sure our chef, Eric Provost, and all our F&B team know that you appreciate the food as well as the service.

I hope to welcome you again soon at the Royal.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We spend three nights at this superb hotel! Staff is friendly and efficient, room very spacious (#317) excellent bathroom, open windows, superb view on boulevard and ocean. Concierge, voituriers, pool attendants are very friendly! Food and service are very good. Housekeeping is excellent!! speedy make up of room in the morning, evening turndown excellent! May be the hotel can do with a indoor pool & Spa
This was our 3rd stay in 10 months in a Barrière hotel, Majestic in Cannes, Le fouquet's in Paris. Truly great hotels in exceptional locations Bravo Barrière hotels. Chairman Dominique Desseigne explained the companies expantion ambitions in last week Figaro Magazin.
I wish Barrière hotels lots of luck!!!

Ask for a room or suite with an ocean view!

Dear Tom K,

It is with great pride and pleasure, that I shared your comments with my entire team.
Your remarks makes us proud of our work and are worth every efforts we make in our quest to satisfy all our guests.
I am particularly happy that you find our staff friendly and efficient; they and the great pride they take in taking care of our guests are our best commercial argument.
Regarding the Spa, we have a project under study.
I am also delighted that your stay in our sister hotels in Cannes and Paris were equally satisfying.

I am looking forward to welcome you again in Deauville.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We recently spent two nights at this property and loved Deauville and the location of this hotel to the beach and the village. However, without a/c we were required to sleep with the windows open. The problem was that there were a number of folks partying on the lawn directly beneath our water front window. The party went on well into the night.
The room was very nice, but showed signs of wear. Bath amenities were not replaced for the second night of our stay which seemed odd given the price point this hotel occupies.

Room Tip: Normally I would recommend the water views, but be careful to avoid the rooms above the garden table...

Dear Martin W,

I am please to read that you liked your tile in Deauville, but saddened that your stay was marred by some disturbances.
We have difficulty to install air conditioning due to the fact that the hotel is a listed building, so far only the suits are equipped. Housekeeping could have provided fans on request, especially if you could not let the windows open due to the noise coming from the party.
We are undergoing works in some rooms right now to prepare the full refurbishment of all our rooms.
Bath amenities are changed every day as long as they are used more than halfway through, this being in accordance with Lucien Barrière group environmental policy. Again; our housekeeper would have brought you fresh ones on request.

I hope these setbacks will not stop you from coming back at the Royal.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Very good location, but no air conditioning in the room, old furniture and carpet.The key in the room was permanently not working, we change them 5 times in 4 days.Front desk stuff were not professional and could not solve the problem with the key.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear avgnj,

I was disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at the Royal.
Regarding the room, I am well aware that some of them are not in their prime anymore, but we started a refurbishing program this June that include a total makeover of the rooms.
We have difficulty to install air conditioning due to the fact that the building is listed by the French authorities, so far only the suits are equipped. Housekeeping could have provided fans if you had requested.
I am very sorry with the inconvenience you had with your room key, and even more sorry that our front desk staff could not help you, giving a good service to all our guests is our foremost concern, I will see our head receptionist about this issue.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

It is a wonderful hotel and a very attentive and helpul staff.
We had a wonderful stay at the Royal Barriere. The breakfast is very good (hot and cold buffet with plenty of choice). Our room had a view on the back but it is also nice because you have a view on the city and on the swimming pool.

Dear Catherine b,

I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
I will share you remarks with my team, we are very proud of the service and attention we bring to each guests and your comments is proof we are doing the right things.
While most of our guests request sea view room it is true that the “country” side of the hotel give a fantastic sight of both Deauville and the lovely countryside around it.

I hope to welcome you again soon, perhaps with a seaside view this time.

Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Rude staff at the concierge. Paint peeling off in my expensive room. Front desk staff were unfriendly and snooty.
Great location but cold buffet breakfast. The night turndown service is ridiculous and certainly not 5 star service. Only one small bottle of water provided and one glass for two people in a room that is over 554 euros.
Generally felt unwelcome. Would never stay here again.
No hot tub and no free Internet and you have to pay to use the pool I've had better stays at super 8's.
Save your change.

• Stayed: July 2012
8  Thank Canadiatravelgoddess

Dear CAnadiatravelgod...

I was saddened to read that you did not enjoy your stay at the Royal at all.
First and foremost I am very surprised that you find our front desk staff unfriendly, making our guests to feel “at home” is the most important thing for my team and myself. I will see the head concierge and receptionist about this matter.
Regarding the state of your room, we are aware that some of them need an makeover and we are currently totally refurbishing two of our rooms as example for a total refurbishment of all the rooms.
While we have mostly cold food on our buffet for breakfast, we although have hot items, such as scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes available and you could have ordered porridge, fried eggs, omelettes to the restaurant staff. I am sorry if the breakfast was not properly explained to you.
As for the night turndown, without further explanation I can not know what was not up to the standard you were expecting.
The pool access is free, although the deck chairs are not, this due to the fact that we only have 80 of these for 252 bedrooms.
Again I apologies for the bad experience you had with us, but I am surprised that you did not ask to see anyone of the management during you stay or on departure considering the number of disagreements you encountered.

I hope you will give us the chance to make you feel welcome and have a real “Royal” experience with us.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I agree with much that has been written.
The hotel foyer is plush and the reception staff are attentive.
But there were aspects of our room that did not match the image. There is no air conditioning and, on days when the sun shone, at night the room was too hot for comfort. Even keeping the windows wide open, we could not get it cool. The furniture and paint were chipped. The bathroom has a separate loo, which is good, but there is no separate shower, but a shower fitting that pulls out, but then one is not quite sure where to put it…. didn’t appear intended for those who prefer showers to baths. An alternative way of filling the bath was from a green lions head, which regurgitated water rather slowly. It was a bit surreal.
And we too, noticed a strong smell coming from the carpets. We imagine it is because the hotel staff use a powder before hoovering, but it really lingers
Some of the charges were steep. The hotel has a pool which one can use as part of the total price. But sunloungers are 20 Euros per person per day. And breakfast is 30 Euros per day. The breakfast charge is pretty well advertised, but I had not realised when booking a hotel with a swimming pool that our family of 3 would need to part with 60 Euros per day to lie down on a sunlounger by the pool.
The location is great. The best thing about this hotel is that they have bicycles, which they hire out for free. They are not bookable, but at 9ish, there were lots available. Well maintained, with gears, which means that one has an excellent means of transport in order to go out and get breakfast at a sensible price elsewhere! And it really is bliss to take the bike out at 9ish and cycle along the promenade (in one direction) past beautiful beaches and the sea, or cycle in the other direction to the port and beach at Trouville

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank David503775
RDdirection, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Dear David503775,

I am happy that you enjoyed some aspects of our hotel, the main hall has been refurbished last year, we changed the lightning and music system as well as the furnitures and carpets and it very succesfull with our guests. I am also very happy that you found the reception staff attentive as good customer service is our main aim.

But I am concerned that you did not enjoy other aspects. I took note of you comment regarding the air con and apologize for the inconvenience.

Some of our room and bathroom do need refurbishment, which has started in june.
I will speak with my maintenance staff to ensure the lion head taps are checked and the necessary work is done.

I am very surprised by the smell you felt was coming from the carpet and will see my head houskeeper to discover what caused this smell.

The access to our pool is totally free but it is true that we are renting lounge chairs 20 euros per. The price include the pool attendant service, a solar cream, refreshing towels and a fruit’s granita twice a day. We only have 80 loungers for 252 rooms, for that reason we can not allocate free loungers with our rooms. We also have free sunloungers in the sundeck above the swimmingpool.

Regarding our breakfast, while it comes at a price I feel we offer a large choice of quality food and beverages without limit of quantity, and we have many good feedback on it.

I hope the negatives aspects of your stay will not stop you from coming back to the Royal.

Sincerly

Laurent Roussin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deauville
Hotel Barriere Le Normandy Deauville
Augeval Hotel
Augeval Hotel
#4 of 27 in Deauville
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Thalasso & Spa
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Th...
#2 of 15 in Trouville-sur-Mer
Ibis Deauville Centre
Ibis Deauville Centre
#9 of 27 in Deauville

Been to Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville? Share your experiences!