“The best grill meat ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Pantagruel

Le Pantagruel
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bangkok, Thailand
“The best grill meat ever”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

By far the best place in town, if not in France for grill meat. The chef is a former butcher, so he definitively knows how to select and deal with meat. A very nice and cosy place with fire place and live cooking. Everytime I am in town, we go there with the whole family. Last month, we were a group of 10 and everyone was absolutely delighted. The manager, the Chef's wife is very welcoming and friendly. Everybody is only here to please you and ensure you will come back, we definitively will!

1 Thank SamAtlantis_Bkk

Petersfield, UK
“Hidden gem in Cherbourg”
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Having browsed the reviews on Trip Advisor, and not wanting anything too formal, my friend and I decided on this restaurant and are so glad we did.

We reserved in advance, which is just as well as it was fully booked by the time we arrived. Even though our ferry was late and we wouldn't arrive until 2130 they were more than happy to accommodate us.

The main dining area is downstairs with the centre piece of the restaurant being the open fire on which the chef cooks the meat to order. There are some tables upstairs but I would recommend downstairs, watching your meal be prepared in sight of you is great experience.

The menu, available in French and English, isn't huge but there are sufficient starters and choices of meat to cater for everyone. Obviously not for vegetarians!

The main courses are offered with either chips or baked potato with salad also being available. As is quite common in many French restaurants, vegetables are not served with the meal.

The quality of the meat was absolutely superb, cooked exactly as I like it.

Service was friendly and efficient with multi lingual staff and the whole atmosphere felt quite homely.

Wine list isn't massive but as this is by no means a fine dining restaurant that's not unexpected. However we were still able to enjoy a wonderful Chataeuneuf du Pape which hit the spot.

If you are in Cherbourg and want a good meal at a reasonable price in a lovely atmosphere then I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.

We will definately be back!

Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Huge portions of quality meat”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

£rd visit here and I think the portions have got bigger. Wonderful quality meat. My starter of chicken livers was huge and then a tender steak cooked on the open wood fired grill. Didn't have room for a dessert. Reasonably priced and very busy even on a wet Monday

Visited May 2012
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Busy, even on a Monday”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Back again. Jug of house red 50cl 6.80 euros, very drinkable. Friendly staff. My husband joined me in the entrecote this year, best steak ever. My creme brulee was huge. Cheese board a little smelly but good flavour. So full when we left. Meal for two, three courses with coffee and two ports and 50cl of wine was 66 euros

• Visited August 2011
Ireland
“Cherbourg resto tip (vegetarians don't read on)”
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I recently found myself 'between ferries' (as you do) in Cherbourg, north coast of France, and came across a nice little trad eatery called Le Pantagruel, which specialises in "grilling meat over a wood fire" in that 'watch the chef cook it in front of your eyes' fashion. A simple classic melted goats' cheese salad (€6) was accompanied by a glass of nondescript, although harmless "Chardonnay" (€2.50: I didn't note a vintage or where from but probably the south somewhere). Followed by a wee glass of much better St-Nicolas de Bourgueil red, from the Loire Valley (€3.20: again no vintage stated and I've forgotten which domaine now), probably 2008 or 2009 I'd guess from its youthful fruitiness; which went well with a delicious "magret de canard" (duck breast fillet) and wood-baked potato (€13). And to finish off - nearly finished me off actually - their "Gers cup" homemade prune ice cream with a hefty glug of Armagnac poured over it (€6).
43 Rue Tour Carrée, Cherbourg. Tel: 02 33 03 08 31.
Review from my blog: