“Breakfast overpriced. Hotel Clean and Comfortable”
Review of Hotel Carline

Hotel Carline
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Caen
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We didn't arrive till 10pm to the Hotel Carline and were pleasantly surprised by the room. Very clean and in good shape. The bathroom is small but well done and again very clean. I had to open the door to brush out my hair. lol The shower maybe the smallest I've ever been but my hat off for great use of a small space. The wifi did not work in the room so went to lobby to use, the entire space was filled up with a crowd that was on bus tour so not the best but they were having a good time. This Hotel was a very good value for a one night stop over but it is very far from most anything except a hospital so make sure you've got anything you need for the evening before you check in. The breakfast was dreary, at 8am there was only 2 rolls, no sliced bread, 2 slices of ham left so it was very slim pickings and we are pretty flexible with our breakfast needs. Incredibley overpriced breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just got back from the Battlefields tour [Normandy beaches].

Hubby [who is interested in that kind of thing] loved it. I'm not so interested, but was nevertheless captivated by the stories and information given by a very knowledgeable guide. The weather was glorious sunshine, all week - though progressively colder as the week wore on. The drivers of the coach were very good too, and good humoured.
One of the other guests on the tour was 92 years old and a veteran of the D Day events. Articulate, with a great memory for detail, talking to him was a privilage and and honour.

Transfers were efficiently carried out.

Not so good points - the hotel rooms were very small with no drawers and limited hanging space. The beds were also a bit hard. Still, we didn't have to spend much time in the rooms - they were just a base, and were suitable for that purpose. The continental breakfasts were plentiful and varied. If you didn't want to eat in the hotel, there's a Buffolow Grill next door, and a Mcdonalds round the corner. Across the main road there is a large Carrefour supermarket and shopping centre, with even more cafe's and restaurents - so lots of places to choose from. A bit pricey though. £12 for a plate of chicken wings and chips!!

All in all, an excellent trip, and we are likely to try another of legers' trips sometime soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank impis8
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just returned from a Leger Holidays tour and we stayed in this hotel. It was nice to see some of the changes that they have made over the last ten years.
We fouind the rooms comfortable and clean. The bathrooms, whilst small, were also very clean. The restaurant had a nice welcoming feel to it and whilst the menu was limited the food was well cooked and plentiful.
All the staff were very helpful and polite.
All in all a nice comfortable stay.

We did try the Buffallo Grill next door on one night - what a mistake, we wish we had stayed in the hotel. The buffallo Grill had poor service, poor quality food, wrong orders - bad mistake.

If you are after an affordable, comfortable hotel, then this is it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Karl501
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Clean rooms, Restaurant good for both breakfast and evening meals and reasonably priced. Also tried the Buffalo Grill next door, which was good. We didn't expect much on a coach trip by Leger to the D-Day landing sites, but were pleasantly surprised. The bar could do with more varation of drinks, and the rooms lacked drawer space

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scubie777
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I guess if your a businessman on a short stay over then this hotel is fine, and that is I guess what its aimed at, I however had two boys with me of 14 and 16 years each and decided to use one of the 77 triple rooms as we were "doing" the Normandy beaches, and triple rooms were in short supply. There were some people doing the Ledgers battlefield walks staying in the same hotel which I think is used by them too.

The room was big enough for the three single beds but not much else, the TV was bolted to the triangular table attached to a corner of the room and the complimentary coffee was three small, and I mean small, plastic cups plus three sachets of coffee, sugar or tea no powdered milk all on a bench table, but a chair did appear when we arrived back on the evening of our fist night.

The shower room was small, with a shower that flooded the room if you were not very careful and a shower tray that did not drain well so you always paddled about, distance between shower and toilet bowl, about two feet and a small, empty and sad sachet of Nivea hand and shower gel attached to the wall, glad I brought my own.

There were no cupboards or draws to put things in just a shelf above a hanging rail, I actually don't think you could have got one in the room anyway..

Sadly I cannot comment on the evening meals as we didn't have them, but breakfast was good. As you would expect it was continental (meats, cheese, and rolls) and ample but did cost an additional Euro 8 each person.

Ok I know it was a budget hotel so you don't expect much but and its just a place to lay your head in which case its fine, but as the room faced the sun all day it was hot and there was no aircon or a fan. I did ask the receptionist for one but as his grasp of English was minimal and my hand gestures for fan were obviously not expressing what I needed I gave up and went a bought a small one from the local supermarket.My youngest son decided it was not so much an oven more a microwave as the room was so small, but after we had the fan you could at least sleep and I did speak to another resident there who also said her room was very hot too.

Anyway in summary if your looking for a cheap stay, don't mind a hot room, well in summer anyway we went in August, and want to be near Caen and the invasion beaches without paying for that luxury then ok it is what it is small, clean and affordable and the buffalo grill next door did do excellent burgers, but I would suggest you did bring your own fan!!....oh and the WiFi was excellent and free and the parking was good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Clive58
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel as part of a Leger Tour and found the rooms adequate but lacking storage space with a small but efficient bathroom. Only one towel per person supplied, beds are a little on the hard side. The Hotel has a good well illuminated car park. The public areas are good and it was pleasant to sit in the garden with drinks and chat to the other residents. The Restaurant is closed for evening meals Friday Saturday and Sunday. The breakfasts are substantial and well presented. The staff are very friendly and helpful and some speak English. I tried the Buffalo Grill at the back of the Hotel and found it good with prompt and helpful service but you have to like charcoal grilled meat. If you wished to dine in the City Centre the modern Tram system passes the Hotel and the station is about 200 yards from the Hotel. The fare into Central Caen is 1.30 Euro and the trams run every 11minutes, ticket are bought from the machine at the station. A good overnight staging post for the onward journey into France

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, they are much cooler!