“Great price/quality”

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Kathy B

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We received a warm and friendly welcome to the hotel by Julie, who was kind enough to direct us to restaurants and sights in the city.

The room was lovely, no faults. Comfortable beds, with all the amenities that you require. No iron in the room, but it was delivered in minutes when I requested it. The room and bathroom were clean and warm.

The location of the hotel is perfect as you can easily walk to main bars/restaurant areas. At the end of our evening, we phoned room service and had some drinks delivered to our room.

At check out, I was asked kindly if I enjoyed my stay by Alice. All well very professional and accommodating to our needs.

The hotel is also near a Sunday market which is great for a real Normandy market experience.

I would return to this hotel for sure if I return to Caen.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank RossinJersey
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The hotel is quite average and overrated. It is good enough to be classified as a three-star hotel, but definitely not four, as is proudly stated on their invoices. Luckily, we stayed for only one night touring around Normandy.
The common areas are drab. The room #405 was clean, but smallish and not very comfortable. Some pieces of furniture were in need of replacement. Surely, it wasn’t worth 171 Euro paid (breakfast not included).
However, there are two positive aspects about the hotel – the central location and the staff. If you are arriving by car, make sure to get driving instructions from the hotel. It is located in the pedestrian only area, so the entrance to the garage is really difficult to find.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I used the Moderne as a base for tours to the landing beaches. The front desk clerk made our tour reservations for us. Also she made a restaurant reservation for us. She could not have been more helpful. Our room was OK. Not great but nothing to complain about. We really enjoyed the breakfast room. The selection was good, the setting very relaxing. The Moderne in right in the middle of town within walking distance of historic sites, restaurants and shopping. I would come back again if I have the chance.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BJ G
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I'd previously been booked into a hotel about 100m away but it was so bad I left and checked into the Best Western.
The staff were really helpful and all seemed to speak English. The rooms was good, as was the shower room.
Breakfast was OK, maybe a little over priced at 15 euros.
If I were to stay in Caen again Id certainly stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SimonFord
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Moderne for one night in October. Hotel very central. Staff very helpful and friendly, pleasant room and bed very comfortable. Lift very slow so you wouldn't want to be in a rush for your room if the hotel was full. Good Breakfast room with views over the city but a poor choice of food and the coffee came out of the automated machine as chocolate with the waitress saying that's what happened if the previous person had had chocolate.
Lack of towels was remedied along with toiletries whilst we were out for dinner, but we were put in a room with a broken toilet seat lid despite the hotel being almost empty. The staff offered to move us, but it wasnt a great idea at 11pm.
There was only hanging space for clothes and no shelving or drawers to unpack into, so not great for any length of stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank christopher357
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I spent 4 nights here, using Caen as a base to see Normandy and the D-Day sights. This is a good hotel and is right in the middle of town. If you arrive by train, you can take a taxi or ride the Twisto tram (1,35 Euro) to the Bernieres stop (about 4 stops from the station) and then walk 3-4 short blocks to the hotel.

The room was fine, not that large but I am used to smaller rooms in France. The bed was great and I slept well every night. Double pane windows kept out the street noise. WiFi was included which worked fine. The breakfast wasn't anything incredible, but provided basic hot and cold selections and filled me up every morning.

I rented a car and wanted to park it at the hotel, but they actually recommended I park in a public garage about a 2 minute walk away (Republique) which was cheaper (about 5 Euro per night).

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and spoke good English. There is a small Carrefour market about 2 blocks away which I used to buy water and other snacks. I actually didn't spend that much time in Caen, as I was visiting D-Day sights, but I did walk around the downtown area a couple times and it seemed safe and somewhat interesting.

This hotel is a good choice and I would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room fronting the street for a nice city view. There aren't many of them, though.