“Modern Hotel in a great location”

Mercure Caen Centre Port de Plaisance
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Caen
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed one night in a 'Privilege' room at this Mercure hotel and we were both very happy with our stay. Good coffee and beverages in the room, air conditioned, big bed - the works. The hotel has a great view of the fishing marina with easy access to everywhere and parking. We woke up the next day to a massive open air market right in front of the hotel and it was alot of fun. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
JYGUTH, Directeur général at Mercure Caen Centre Port de Plaisance, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Sir

We thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.
My team and I greatly value feedback from our guests. We will continue to uphold this standard of customer satisfaction.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We chose the Mercure Caen Port de Plaisance as a base for visiting the sights in Normandie. The hotel is very well located near lots of restaurants and bars, on the Port de Plaisance.

The parking is underground, and extremely handy at just 10 Euros a night. It is located on the left side of the block the hotel is on so just go in there and take the elevator to the hotel above.

The room we had (priviledge room) was perfect for us, quiet and excellent air con. Free minibar (no alcool) and Nespresso coffee. Great shower. We had breakfast in the hotel every day and it was very good and plenty for us.

A all, excellent staff....this is what really made the place great. Thanks for the hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BenitoMontreal
JYGUTH, Directeur général at Mercure Caen Centre Port de Plaisance, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Reviewed July 25, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank 1ChunkyMonk

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on four occasions now & consistently find it a very nice place to stay - the rooms are very well appointed with tea & coffee provided. Service, both at reception & in the bar is good as well. It's a great location to be based at if you want to visit some of the significant places connected with the D-Day landings, or if you simply want to stay somewhere close to a good selection of bars, cafes & restaurants. Breakfast is a little expensive at 15 euros per person so I always use a nearby cafe & enjoy a continental breakfast. The beds are exceptionally comfortable & the double glazing does a great job of insulating any outside noise.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Best regards

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had a one night stay here on the way to the ferry at Cherbourg. The hotel is well located in the city centre.Check in was good & the room was of a good standard. My only issue was the service in the bar , when my wife & I went in for a pre dinner drink the bar was completely empty & after a couple of minutes a barman arrived & I placed my order .As he started to get our order ready 2 waiters from the main function room came in , one after another , & placed large orders for the people in the restaurant which resulted in my wife & I (the only 2 customers in the bar! ) waiting way too long for our cocktails. When we got the cocktails my Margerita was really bad & to be fair to the barman he changed it for another drink without a problem. It's a good hotel & I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the waterfront
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
JYGUTH, Directeur général at Mercure Caen Centre Port de Plaisance, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments
I will pass them on to our teams.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on an Accor Promotion. Check in was OK although I had the feeling that the receptionist had her mind on other things and seemed a little disinterested in the check in process. She was looking over my shoulder into the business suite for most of the check in process, so I gained the impression that she was more interested in that location than dealing with a customer. As we were on a promotion we did not expect the best room in the hotel, but the view from our window was awful. We looked at concrete and this meant the room was dark. However, we did not intend using the room for anything expect sleeping and the price was good. If I had been paying the rack rate, I would have complained. The location of the hotel is good and Caen has so many good restaurants we decided to eat elsewhere. As others have said the hotel is rather tired, especially some of the carpets in the public areas. City location good and easy parking either in the hotel or in nearby streets.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank kembrokernyw
JYGUTH, Directeur général at Mercure Caen Centre Port de Plaisance, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Sir,
My team and I greatly value feedback from our guests.
I will pass them on to our teams.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Travelled with another family from a campsite in SW France to end a two week France holiday. We stayed in a fantastic family room, loads of space for our three children. Had breakfast at the Sunday market stalls right outside the hotel. The room was clean, modern, had free WIFI, free nespresso coffee. The bed was super comfy. We headed up the coast to Omaha beach on the Sunday en-route to the ferry at Cherbourg. If there are any other families thinking about doing this, this is the hotel for you. The room cost €160.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family