“Fabulous”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Mirfield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

6 of us ate here while visiting Caen.The service was excellent,the waiter was very friendly and helpful.His English was certainly better than our French and he advised us on certain starters and main courses.All the starters were lovely,we had mussels,bruschetta,Italian meat platters- all delicious.The pizzas were gorgeous,the salads tasty- it was an absolute feast.Followed by equally lovely desserts such as Melting Chocolate Cake,Tiramisu,Creme Brûlée- we couldn't fault it.
We go to LeMans every year and sail to Caen,I would definitely return to this little gem of a restaurant.

Visited June 2014

Orlando, Florida
“Food and service lacking!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We were on our way to a tour of Normandy and decided to stop in Caen for the night. We had heard that there were several abbeys that were well worth seeing in the city. By the end of the night we were looking for a nice warm place to have a bite to eat and stopped in at La Maison d'italie as it looked warm and inviting. Unfortunately, that's where the warmth stopped. We understand that we do not speak French to the level of the people here but I can usually get us through a menu, however the young man that waited on us seemed to make it a point not to understand anything I said. Who has to say San Pellegrino in order to have you understand that Pellegrino means the same thing? After that it went downhill, we had to point to everything we wanted on the menu. My husband's veal was good but definitely not tender enough for escaloped veal. My minestrone soup was overly salty and I left over half the bowl. It became increasingly clear that this particular restaurant caters to the locals - as each local group came in they were greeted with smiles, aperitifs and salted olives (we received none of this treatment.) I do get it - the returning customer is a restaurant's bread and butter but if you don't want tourists don't put the menu outside! We would have had dessert and coffee but we were so uncomfortable that we left after entrees. Too bad, I had looked forward to our visit in Caen and this was a disappointing end to the day!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Debbie0791
Louisiana
“Great service and pizza!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Rainy night in Caen and this restaurant was just about four blocks from my hotel. I ordered a pepperoni pizza and some wine......both were excellent. Staff was friendly and service was fast. The menu is fairly extensive and a lot of locals we're acting by the time I left. They obviously knew the owner. I'd go back......and May tomorrow night!

Visited November 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Very good italian food !”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We were looking for a simple Italian restaurant in Caen. At first, we were a bit shy to get in, as it is in a side street with a very bad view (the next building, full of graffitti).

When we got in, we were welcomed and shown to a table that we wanted. The waiter was excellent and we had very good conversation with him. He obviously noticed that we were french Canadian.....easy !

The food was simple and excellent: salad Caprese (very big !), spaghetti carbonara and bolognese excellent ! We never have dessert so cannot comment.

Service and food great, a good place to go !

• Visited July 2013
Miami FL
“Change of pace.”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

After 20+ days of French food I needed an Italian fix and we did it here. French food is great but I missed my home food. This place did it for us. Great staff! They also brought us an after dinenr drink on our final evening. Prices are fair for what you get.

Visited June 2013