“Good food, good service and excellent theatre!”
Review of La Trattoria

La Trattoria
Ranked #16 of 486 Restaurants in Caen
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2013

In an area do Caen jam packed with restaurants, it was hard to decide which to go for. We picked this restaurant as we wanted a change from the Normandy cuisine. We struck lucky. We had a very good dinner and the service was warm and efficient. We were given a dish of herby cream cheese with chicory as an amuse bouche - a nice touch. We shared a plate of cooked meat to start, followed by saltimbocca and a trio of veal. The meats were very nicely done but I was a little disappointed to find the same mixed vegetables and risotto rice accompanying both dishes. I wonder if it's the same for fish dishes as well.... Show a slight touch of laziness, perhaps, in structuring a 'complete' dish? But that is but a small smudge on an otherwise excellent dinner. The desserts were good too, the pana cotta was creamy and silky, the nuggartine ice cream very more-ish. We left at a particularly hectic moment in the restaurant (it was pretty much full house that night) and we walk out unnoticed....or so we thought. No more then 5 or 6 steps from the door and Madame rushed out to say thank you and goodnight. Sends you home in a good mood, doesn't it?!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Friendly relaxed atmosphere. Excellent food using local produce. Generous portions and good service.
Although we didn't have it, the special carbonara,prepared at the table in a huge parmesan cheese looked amazing.
Puddings were pretty good too. We had the "coffee special" - a coffee served on a plate with various delicious small puddings to accompany it.
Good value for money and the wine was reasonably priced as well.

1  Thank Fergs85
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have enjoyed S. Mugnaini La Trattoria ~ four times EACH a memorable meal/evening. I like the old Caen warmth too, which I see changing a little in the charming town. From bread to dessert (if you have room) were top notch with presentations that will make you smile!.Great specials too to complicate your choice. English menu available. American Express not accepted. Reservation wil assure you a special place.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We found this restaurant, located a bit hidden in the touristic street rue Vaugueux, thanks to the good reviews at the Tripadvisor site. It was a wonderful experience! I've never eaten such a delicious lasagna before, and my friend was very happy with the veal 'en trois saveurs'. The food was of very high quality, and at a very reasonable price. Very friendly staff, warm atmosphere. Highly recommended!

1  Thank dessiebert
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Could the waitress be more helpful? Only if she carried me to my car afterwards. Simple delicious pasta with some delightful Italian wine, what's not to love. The dish cooked at the table next to us and finished in a massive cheese rind was a sight to behold!