“Excellent wine and meat selection in the heart of Caen”
Review of Boeuf and Cow

Boeuf and Cow
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Boeuf and Cow is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 473 Restaurants in Caen
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Restaurant en plein cœur du centre ville face à l'église St. Pierre (fraîchement restaurée), produits frais et locaux, entrées, desserts, garnitures (frites, purée, légumes fraits) et plats faits maison...Grande salle climatisée à l'étage.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is an excellent address for meat lovers. The service is very good and the wine selection excellent. The quality of the beef is superbe. Be sure to book a table upstairs with a view of Saint Pierre.

There are newer reviews for Boeuf and Cow

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is an outstanding restaurant is every respect. It's got to be the best in Caen. Of course we haven't eaten in every restaurant in Caen, but we were so impressed that we returned again the very next evening. The beef is just beautiful and we had a very real sense that it all came from very happy cattle.

The staff were briilliant, funny and most welcoming. The food was stunning and great value for money. At twice the price it would still be worth every penny. We really felt that the staff wanted this to be the best meal we had ever had, and that our presence was important to them.

This place should be packed to the door absolutely every evening. We found it via trip advisor so a big thank you to everyone who continues to contribute, not just with complaints about the places to avoid but with praise for the excellent.

The newly printed menu in English is very funny. It's all back to front with tons of errors, but it matters not a jot. We laughed along with the waiter as we enjoyed the superb food. Make sure you go before prices rise and before you need to book a month in advance.

2  Thank Trevor11music
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Had an amazing meal my husband and I ordered the rib eye and it was just perfect. The service was really good and staff were friendly and attentive. We will be back!!!

1  Thank NessInfrance
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Having lingered at the American cemetery for a bit too long we were starving and looking for a good restaurant. My wife used the iPad to read some reviews of Caen restaurants and what she read about Boeuf & Cow
sounded promising ( they spoke English & and were
concerned about our needs. Wow, did we not have a good experience. First we sat down on a sidewalk table and learned that English is only spoken upstairs. So up we went. We were told that the window seats had been reserved and so we were seated on the next row from the window (more about this later). After we asked to speak English we were given a waiter that seemed to have very little command of English. So, after some tough questions for him he sent over a man who was much better equipped to deal with us Americans. I made it quite clear to the waiter that I was concerned about having a steak that would be cooked at the medium scale. He said no problem, and if there was he would take it to the kitchen and ensure that it was cooked as I requested. With this assurance my wife ordered the fillet & I ordered the ribeye. As you' ve probably guessed by now, I found after cutting my steak twice that the center was blood red & warm, like a rare steak would be. My wife's fillet was equally undercooked, if not more so. And neither of these steaks was thick like you'd expect. As a matter of fact, if I went to any supermarket in Houston and searched for a ribeye or a fillet the thickness of these steaks I'd probably have to ask the butcher to cut it especially by request. I other words, there is no reason for the chef's failure to comply with our request. So, against the advice of the little voice inside my head I asked the waiter to have the steaks cooked a little more. My wife's returned to the table with the surface blackened, but the inside still had a little red and some pink. My ribeye on the other hand was black on the outside, grey inside, dry with no good steak taste. The English speaking waiter put the plates before us and made a hasty retreat. How bad this was - pretty much a ruined meal. We went from rare to well and burned, never even getting close to medium as requested. My major problem is that this restaurant specializes in beef steaks. And I find that they don't know the difference between rare, medium rare, medium, medium well and well? I'd advise you to look elsewhere if you're looking for a decent meal provided by decent people. You won't find it here. And if you do, consider yourself lucky. And as promised, back to the seating. About 8:00 pm the sun started coming into the window. My wife said the glare off the table by the was blinding her. So I swapped seats with her. And as the minutes dragged on the sun in the late evening sky burned through with an ever increasing intensity. It was really, really uncomfortable. I asked the waiter if anything could be done and he shrugged his shoulders and said no, that's just the way it is. What really frosts me is that these guys have the balls to build the tip into the price of he meal, you can't even stiff them no matter how much they deserve it. Anyway, if you ignore my advice and eat there I wish you Bon apetite and a whole lotta luck. I only wish that I had read my review before choosing this restaurant, then maybe I would not have chosen this restaurant and my entire evening would not have been ruined! J Place, Houston, TX

2  Thank jimplace
Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

We both had starters mains and desert accompanied by very good French wine. All fantastic. Service was very good. They have an English menu and here staff are friendly and helpful. But what makes this place so good is the delicious food!