New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel De Rouen

Hotel De Rouen
Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in Caen
Durham, United Kingdom
“Handy for the train station”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We decided to stay here for a single night after reading a couple of favourable reports on Trip Advisor. First impressions were not great as there were a number of police in the Hotel and were asked if we could return later as there had been a "little problem". We had a walk around town and it became apparent that the hotel seemed to be located in one of the rougher parts of town. When we were finally checked in were went to the room which was quite small but clean. There was no door to the bathroom just a curtain which afforded very little privacy which I found odd. The bed was very comfortable and once the shutters were closed the room was very quiet. The breakfast however was very disappointing. We paid 6 Euros each for what was basically bread and jam. Parking was available just a short distance down the road for only 6 euros a day. If you are arriving here by train then the location is perfect if you are arriving by car you could find better elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank CoxhoeDave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Rijnsburg, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We arrived at this hotel very late in the evening and Mareys greeted us, she promptly checked us in and gave us all the info we needed. The room was clean, ample and the bed was very comfortable. Our room was on the street side but as there were shutters on the window and so no street noise was heard.
Breakfast was typical French breakfast and very filling. I will certainly stop there again when I am passing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Watford UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

I stopped at this hotel in June for one night. I had noticed it on a previous visit to Caen, what drew my attention initially was the very reasonable room rate of 40 Euros. When I travel I am simply looking for somewhere to put my head down, extensive facilities, restaurants, wi-fi, gyms etc. do not feature in my requirements.
Booking my stay was easy, I sent an email, the quote came back very quickly and I was booked. The proprietor took my booking on trust, no need for me to leave credit card details.
Upon arrival I was made very welcome and the usual etiquettes were explained. My room was clean, tidy and had ensuite facilities. The shower was very invigorating.
If you are looking for a no-frills, clean, comfortable and inexpensive Hotel, then this fits the bill.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo