“A beautiful place”

Ranked #8 of 32 Bayeux B&B and Inns
Illinois
“A beautiful place”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

This was our second stay at the Hotel de Sainte Croix. We came last summer with 4 of us, and this time it was just me and my 12 year old daughter. We actually had one of the rooms we had before. It's called the Victoria room and it is quite large.

Florence, the owner, seemed kind of reserved when we came the first time, but I think that was the language. She does speak English quite well, but seems much more comfortable if you speak French. This time, I spoke to her in French initially, and she looked excited and surprised and said "You speak French!" (in French). She was very helpful any time I asked for anything (which wasn't much) and seemed interested in our plans.

Of note, there are 3 beds in the room. The first time, I stayed in it with my sister and only one bed was made up (the queen). We asked her to make up another one, but she never did. I think there might have been a language barrier, though, since I don't know how to ask for a bed to be made up in French. This time I had asked in advance for a second bed to be made up, and she said it would be 5€ extra. I agreed, and the bed was made up.

We walked from the train station because I didn't see any taxis. I think it took us about 20-30 min with a 22 inch roller and backpack each. It is gradually uphill walking, though. Not really steep, just enough to make walking harder. We took a taxi back to the station. I can't remember the cost, but it was less than 10€. We walked down to the Churchill Hotel 2 days for Battlebus D-day tours. It took about 10-15 min to walk down there.

The breakfasts are excellent, with several kinds of break, juice, tea/coffee, and a special dish which is different every day (chocolate cake thing one day, last time there was French toast type stuff one day) and yogurt or some sort of fruit (some rhubarb thing one day which was not bad even though I don't like rhubarb). There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance.

There are only 2 down sides to this B&B that stand out for me. First, when you go out you leave your room key on a hook in the entry and take a house key. Therefore, other guests have access to your room key. We didn't have any problems with it either time, though. Second, there is no phone or internet access, although Florence did let us use her phone to contact our tour guide the last time. This time I had a cell phone, but I didn't need to use it for anything.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bjerkreim
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We traveled in a group of two familes (four adults, four children and one baby), and stayed three nights in two family rooms (i.e. suites). Coming from Disneyland (great, too!), the contrast was striking. The old-fashioned Sainte Croix was "the real France".

The beds were huge, and comfortable. The bathrooms equipped for all our needs, and the rooms themselves gave us the feeling of travelling 100 years or so back in time. There is a big garden for the children to explore. The hotel is situated at a big square, in a quiet neighbourhood, still just one minute away from the main street of Bayeux.

The breakfast was superb, something new every day, even freshly baked fruit pie one morning!
The service was very good, everything we needed for our baby was supplied.

There is a public (=inexpensive) bus from the train station stopping by the Sainte Croix on its way to Omaha Beach (D-day), so its a perfect place to stay if you want to explore the historic WW2 sites on your own.

Taxi to train station costs 7 Euro.

We would definately stay here again. It was a real bargain, and thanks to to the good reviews here on TripAdvisor that led ut to Sainte Croix in the first place!

Knut, Norway

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Southest US
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I found this place through TripAdvisor so I wanted to share my great experience. I traveled with my parents and my young daughter. Mme Florence is amazing, she recommended a perfect room for us (bathtub for my daughter, huge bathroom by any standard with two sinks), and she even had a changing pad and baby bed waiting for us when we arrived. The location is right on the square which is great for market days (noisy early in the morning setting up if you don't wake up early). She allowed us to park our vehicle within her gates. The "jardin" and back yard are great and was a good spot for us to let my daughter run and play while we ate dinner at her tables. She prepared lovely breakfasts during our stay and was just a really nice person. She was great with my daughter, my father's only complaint is that there was no wifi connection....but for me that was a positive so that he wasn't on his IPhone the entire trip =). Bayeux is a great access town to all of the D-Day sites. If you are looking for a peaceful, charming stay in Bayeux you should choose this B&B. By far the best place I stayed during my 5 weeks in France.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
sydney
Reviewed July 1, 2010

This is a gracious B&B rather than a hotel and was the best value and most homelike of all the places we stayed at during our five week trip in France. The rooms are simply enormous and beautifully decorated, with couches and room to relax without having to sit on your bed. The website photos just don't do them justice. There was room to park a small car inside the courtyard at the front or to leave it on the street with a bit of juggling for markets and day time (cheap) parking fees. The breakfasts were wonderful, with home touches like warm baked apples, caramel crepes, little pots of yoghurt and spice cake as well as the usual juice, baguette, brioche etc. The owner is charming yet professional. We felt as if we were staying in someone's well cared for and very elegant home. Bayeux itself is a great base to explore Normandy and beyond. We stayed two days and wish we had booked for longer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel de Sainte Croix. The location is great--Bayeux is small, and the Hotel de Sainte Croix is an easy walk from anywhere you want to go, though also fairly quiet (we were not there for the market). The rooms (especially the bathroom) are incredibly spacious and well appointed. The hostess Florence is terrific. Her breakfasts were great, and she was always friendly and helpful (and very understanding and complimentary of our mediocre French!).

After reading the other reviews before we left, we were a bit nervous about both parking and needing to leave our key. Both situations were undoubtedly helped by our being there in March--the B&B was very quiet, as was Bayeux overall--but we had no trouble with either (parking was readily available on the street every night), and we would definitely come back, as we very much enjoyed our stay and found the Hotel to be a terrific value.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Sezanne, France
Reviewed June 12, 2010

We found this bed and breakfast by accident whilst traveling Normandy. What a great surprise. It was really super and the best place we stayed at in Normandy for a variety of reasons. First the room was spacious, charming and very clean. Secondly the bed was super comfy with extra pillows and everything I like in a bed. Last but not least the breakfast was great, great, great! Fresh bread and croissants. Yogurt, toasted brioche and a baked apple too! Really a great place and a great bargain!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
winnipeg
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We stayed in this lovely big old house for two nights in early April, 2010. The location was very good and since Bayeux Is not that big, everything was within easy walking distance. We walked from the train station to the B&B (Note: Although it was not far, walking with suitcases on the hilly roads is not for everyone.) but because of the time of our train, we chose to take a taxi to the station for our departure. The service we recieved during our stay was very good. Our hostess Florence, gave us a nice warm welcome. The room we stayed in was located on the top (3rd) floor and was spacious, bright with big windows and nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable and everything was neat and clean. The Bathroom was large with a nice mix of modern fixtures and period furnishings. The old wooden floors added to the charming character of the room. Breakfast was served in a large elegant dining room. The food was absolutely delicious, ample in both amount and in selection, with very nice presentation. Being served Canadian Maple Syrup was a nice 'touch of home' for us! We required early breakfasts both mornings and were readily accommodated, even though there were other guests staying there on the second night. On the day of departure our hostess also arranged our taxi ride to the train station. We could easily have stayed longer if it had been possible.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple