“Nice place, rude host”

Ranked #2 of 30 Bayeux B&B and Inns
Boston
“Nice place, rude host”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We arrived in the late morning to drop off our luggage to avoid leaving it in the car while we explored the Normandy beaches, as the Rick Steves guidebook and others had suggested. Anthony greeted us with "You are too early." When I explained that we'd like to leave the bags in the hotel, Anthony said "This is a civilized country; no one will steal your luggage. if your guidebook says otherwise, throw it out!" But he did take the bags and we found them on our return in the late afternoon in a spacious comfortable room. The room was freezing; no heat and Anthony nowhere to be found. I left a note and we went to dinner in town. The heat was on when we returned later.
At breakfast the next morning, Anthony was being charming and helpful to the two lady guests, but ignored us. I had no napkin at my place, and when I asked him for one, he snapped "What did you do with the one you had." We asked Antony to bring our car around, and it arrived covered with fresh, wet bird droppings. Antony helpfully noted that this had never happened before. We asked for help in cleaning the car off, and he threw a bucket of water on the car while the passenger door was open, wetting the inside and hardly dealing with the problem. We left to get the car cleaned at a service station. Anthony was probably laughing all morning.
We've traveled extensively in France and elsewhere. We love France and have always been treated well by the French people and have made many friends. My only conclusion is that Anthony might be wonderful to some folks, but if for some reason he takes a dislike to you, too bad. He didn't ruin our stay, but he sure was unpleasant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank alandynner
hotel-tardif, Owner at Hotel Tardif Noble Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your stay at our family property, Le Tardif Noble Guesthouse.
I'm happy to read you appreciated the comfort and design our your room, and the location of the property.
I would personally like to add some details to your testimonial.
You indeed arrived in late morning, around 11.30am. I greeted you with a "Bonjour, can i help you?" and you asked to check in. I responded that it was too early to check into your room, that the chamber maids needed more time to clean the rooms. But i ensured you that the room would be ready at 2.00pm.
You asked me to leave your bags here, what i immediatly accepte of course, as you explained me that you were told never to leave your bags in your car during your stay in France. I found this quite shocking I replied with a joke that people here were civilized and wouldn't attack your your car to steal your bags... So sorry we don't have the same sens of humour. In return you did elegantly throw your bags to my feet... Good start... Nevermind, i gave you directions to Omaha Beach and stored your bags.
As promised the room was ready from 2.00pm, with the bags waiting for you inside.
Later in the evening I found your note in the kitchen after i left 5 minutes in the garden to help another couple with their GPS in their rental car. I'm sorry if i made you wait while i was already busy with somebody else. Your radiators were adjusted at an average temperature. It just needed to be adjusted to your prefered temperature... What i did right after i found your note.
The next morning i did serve you breakfast when you came down at 10.40am even if (as advertissed in your room and explained to you the night before) we serve breakfast until 10.00am. I wasn't expecting any kind of "thank you for waiting for us" or whatever...
I served you quickly it's true, but again we were not supposed to serve breakfast anymore. We were all taking care of the others guests checking out or asking for informations.
You ordered me to carry down your bags, you did throw me the car key (i guessed it meant "can you bring my car?"), and so on and best... If you know France as well as you say, you must know that here like in the US we appreciate a "please" or a "thank you". It's not much effort but it makes big difference.
It's true your windshield had many bird droppings. Again you ordered me to clean it (no please or thank you...) but also the mud resulting of your D-Day visit... I never wetted the inside but i remember you emptying ALL the trash of yoru car and giving them to me.
And to conclude you are false, i was not laughing morning long (you checked out but noon anyway...) because i had better thing to do like taking care of new guests who sadly attended all this
I'm happy to read i didn't ruin your stay, as you didn't manage to ruin my day anyway.

Cordially,

Anthony VOIDIE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Hebrew first
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Hotel Tardif is as welcoming as it is beautiful. Antony was a delightful host, very eager to please and very knowledgeable. Our room (Dordonne) was huge and exquisite. We felt as if we had stepped back into the days of royalty. The hotel is just across from the cathedral and a short few blocks from the tapestry, but it is sheltered, private and quiet. I wish we had had more time to stay. I highly recommend Hotel Tardif to anyone.

Room Tip: Go all out and opt for one of the big staterooms. It is well worth the money.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed here four and a half years ago with my then 12 year old some and returned with my 13 year old daughter for a D Day and Bayeux tapestry themed visit. We actually ended up in the same room, although the price had gone up by 20 Euro to 85 Euro. Even so, this was good value and the guesthouse is in an exceptionally central position, with parking, and so makes a great base.

As an old but spacious house, it has a charming homely feel. Since our last stay the TV seems to have been upgraded to include more channels, if the set box is anything to go by, although we didnt watch it. We did use the wi-fi, which was welcome.

Antoine didn't begrudge us a late breakfast, even though the other guests had been and gone, and we had loads of croissant, baguette, jam, cheese, juice, coffee and hot chocolate to start the day. He also allowed us to leave the car until after a tour had finished at 18.30, even though we formally checked out late morning.

Would certainly return again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
hotel-tardif, Owner at Hotel Tardif Noble Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Jonben,

It's always nice when guests visit us again and again. Thank you for making of our family property your home for a night. We hope your wife will be able to join you next time.
Take care of you all and "à bientôt"!

Anthony VOIDIE
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed 2 nights to experience Normandy and the D Day beaches. Great hospitality from Antoine, made to feel welcome into the guest house, which was a great experience to stay in. Breakfast was great, chance to sit n the formal dining room of the house and cut to other guests etc. wifi access was great. Room was a good size including ensure, with everything we needed for our stay. Can't go wrong with a stay here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

From the moment you enter the hotel though the gated entrance, and drive down the path to the hotel, you know it is something special. The building itself is classic French, and the surrounding grounds and gardens beg to be sat in with a fine French cognac, which we did several times. The rooms are fairly large, the bathrooms are up to date and the beds comfortable. The hallways and parlors are also interesting with paintings and other period items. An ample continental breakfast is served in a comfortable and refined setting. The wi-fi worked just fine, and Anthony the owner, was eager to help with any questions or concerns. The center of town is really pretty and a short walk away. We were a group of five family members, but is would be a good place for any type of group. A nice spot in Europe that you actually want to sit outside and read a good book in the peaceful setting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ETROKER
Hanover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited a while ago and still remember how special and great our stay was. Our room was huge with wonderful tapestries and a beautiful bathroom. My husband and I were astonished at the low price we paid for such a great room in what truly is a lovely chateau. This is a family owned B&B and the level of personal touch on the service shows it. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We stayed here between a visit to Normandy and Mont St. Michele -it's an easy drive to either from here. The hotel is walking distance to everything in Bayeux. What a wonderful place to visit!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

This family owned and run hotel is a beautiful and charming experience. The home is stunning, with a magnificent staircase, floor, antiques and books. The owner grew up in town and has a vast knowledge of the area. He is conversant in several languages. He helps with all of the luggage and has a wonderful breakfast. His dog is darling. The hospitality and comfort level is first rate.

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom suite with one bathroom for our family of 4 adults. It was ideal.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family