“Hotel Le Bayeux”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
San Antonio, Texas
“Hotel Le Bayeux”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Le Bayeux. It is centrally located within easy walking distance to the cathedral, Bayeux Tapestry, and shopping. We stayed in a family room with a bunk bed and a king size bed. A partican wall separated the two sleeping areas. The price was a bit high for the room but it is very difficult to find a hotel where a family of 4 can share one room.

The parking was very tight with only 6 parallel spaces. We paid 10 Euros per day to park in the hotel car park. The manager suggested free parking on the street. We were hesitant to park on the street because it was a bit tight. However, if you go up the street less than a block there is a free car park. In hind sight we should have used that car park.

In regard to the room itself it was clean and modernish. The toilet area was located separate from the shower area which can be nice but in this case you had to leave the room with the toilet and walk through the bedroom to the shower room to wash your hands. The shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water but the shower head holder appeared to be installed upside down consequently instead of the shower gently sending water onto your head it shot water across the shower. European plumbing is always an adventure:)

Overall, it was a nice experience. The staff was friendly and helpful and spoke English which was wonderful. We would stay here again.

1 Thank frommkma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The staff at Hotel le Bayeux are very helpful and kind, and made sure my son and I were able to get in even though our train from Paris was delayed until midnight. Breakfast was very good, and the location of the hotel is excellent. Highly recommended.

amsterdam
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I would have given this hotel 2 stars: it's old, not that clean, the breakfast area is small and smells a little and the general condition and decor is poor. However they just try so hard. Friendly staff at reception, lots of information about the area in the room which included laminated maps of the d-day landing beaches. It just made me feel good about the people who ran it that I didn't want to give it 2 stars.

However, at nearly 100 euros a night I have had far better value in Normandy. Best stay outside the towns in the countryside and get better value. So unfortunately I would only recommend if you really want to stay in Bayeux, which is a nice little town. When you are just passing, book a place in the countryside.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chilipalmer83
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Wasn't too sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews but when we arrived we were very surprised as it is in an excellent location for train station, cathedral, tapestry, museum and restaurants, the english speaking receptionist was very friendly and knowledgeable and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. I couldn't fault the breakfast it had everything that you would want if maybe a bit pricey.Would be more than happy to come back to this hotel again its delightful and the staff deserve a pat on the back.

Yonkers
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Hotel le Bayeaux was a surprise! The people are amazing! So helpful and generous and knowledgeable. They speak English very well. We arrived during the Medieval festival and it was delightful! The hotel is clean and comfortable and is close to the train station( we took a cab from the train to the hotel but walked back to the train-it is that close!) We were able to walk to the Cathedral, the tapestry museum and throughout the lovely town. The desk clerk helped us get a rental car to drive to the WWII sites we planned to visit. The hotel provides wifi which worked very well. The breakfast was good. It is a combination of the people who work at the hotel and the location that make this a truly good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My parents along with my family of 5, so 7 people total stayed in two rooms at this hotel over three nights. Overall it was a very pleasant stay. The hotel could not be better located. Truly the best location in Bayeux. A stone's throw from the cathedral, the tapestry and all the charming streets and great restaurants. We booked one double room and one family room, room with large king sized bed and three twins, two were bunk-bed style. The double room my parents stayed in was rather unremarkable (room 26). It was fine, but nothing special and overall the general decor and finishings were not as nice as our family size room. My parents complained that the shower water temperature was very erratic and it was hard to get a good shower without constant flashes of too hot water or too cold water no matter where they set the knob. Our family room that slept five was overall much nicer. It was not only bigger, but nicer furnishings, decor and finish (i.e. they had some strange carpet flooring, and we had nice hardwood/laminate). The set-up was perfect for a family of 5, with the wall separating the king bed (really two twins pushed together, but it was great) and the three single beds. The bathroom configuration was also great, a nice large shower room with a sink, and then a separate toilet room. There was a great flat screen TV and they had a few nice movies in the lobby to rent (kind of annoyed they charged €5 for the movie "rental," though). So the room was pretty great, very comfortable and spacious. The only problem with this particular room (room 22) is that it shares a wall with the breakfast area. So the headboard of the king bed is just on the other side of the breakfast bar. Without fail each morning at about 6:00/6:30 I could here clanking and other taps through the wall as they set up breakfast. I didn't love that and while my husband slept right through it, I could not. So if they had this same room in another location in the hotel, I'd be all over it and stay there again, but if this were the only room of this type in the hotel and I were at all a light sleeper, I'd pass. Otherwise this was the perfect room for a family of 5. Parking here is very limited, but they do make a real effort to accommodate all guest vehicles. Parking is €10 a day, which I thought was kind of expensive. Breakfast is €9,50 per day. It's nice with great huge croissants, bread, cheese, juices, yogurts and eggs. I don't' think we would have done the breakfast at €9,50 per person per day except that they didn't charge for the children, so since they only charged for me and my husband it ended up being €19 for 5 people per day, which is a good price. The absolute best part of this hotel is the staff. The three front deskers that we came in contact with over and over throughout our stay were all wonderful. Upon reception we were kindly greeted, and the wonderful lady also gave each of the children a small toy. We instantly felt very welcomed, even with our big, loud group. That night we were all too tired to head out for dinner, and they didn't hesitate helping us order a pizza, and even setting out water, cups and napkins in the breakfast area for us all to eat, totally not something they had to do, but it was really nice and made our first night so easy and enjoyable. The first morning my daughter woke up with an ear ache, which I knew instantly was a recurring infection which we thought was treated and done with a couple weeks prior. I asked the gals at the front desk if they could help me find a doctor, and they were both on it! They were on the phone, on the computer and doing whatever they could to get me in to see a doctor as fast as possible. And they did. Before I knew it I had an appointment less than a 5 minute walk away, and less than 30 minutes later we were done with the doctor and the pharmacy and had the first dose of antibiotics already down. This saved our trip. So while the rooms were not perfect, the overall stay was exceptional. This place has real heart and you feel the love. I will stay here again when I return to Bayeux!

Room Tip: The family rooms are really great