“We did not have a pleasant experience!!!”

Hotel Reine Mathilde
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed at his hotel for 4 nights based on the Trip Advisor Reviews. We had a small(extremely small) room on the second floor. It may have been adequate for one person, but for 2 it was more than difficult. Our room was above the kitchen. We had 2 choices. We could open the window and get the smell of the kitchen or we could swelter. We chose the latter. Our room had no ventilation. The room had no view of anything, but the roofs of other buildings.
I did not find the staff particularly helpful, especially after we opted to have breakfast in a patisserie. This seems to be true all over France. (If you choose not to have breakfast at the hotel - the staff leaves you alone)
Our room was dark. The light fixtures had only one light bulb, instead of two. The water situation was a nuisance. You would be in the middle of brushing your teeth and the water would suddenly turn off. Not having a shelf for your soap in the shower was also difficult. I wanted a coke one evenig and my husband went downstairs for one. He was charged 5.50 Euros for one glass of coke. I thought that was excessive for being a guest in the hotel.
The best that could be said was this hotel was in a good location, the price was good and the parking was free.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JCarrabba

Reviewed June 19, 2009

If you plan to visit Bayeux in early June, book your accommodations many, many months in advance. I booked 6 months in advance yet many places were already fully booked. I settled on the Hotel Reine Mathilde, which turned out to be a decent value.

The hotel is clean and it is centrally located. The bathroom was a decent size. Our room had a view of the cathedral – very impressive, especially at night when it is light up. It seems the hotel was recently updated, which is a nice touch. However, many things are automatic – automatic sink, lights on motion detectors, etc. This sounds nice but only if the detectors can detect you! I had an impossible time washing my hands because the water would stop running at least 5-6 times. The first time I showered, the lights went off and despite my wildly flailing my arms, the light would not come back on. I had to shout for my husband’s help (he wasn’t too happy since he was still asleep at the time).

Our room was on the top floor so the ceiling sloped down quite a bit, requiring us to hunch over when crossing the room. This would have been no problem except that the ceiling was not a smooth surface but instead rough like very coarse sandpaper. I accidentally brushed up against it and the ceiling actually broke my skin. Not fun.

As is customary in France, breakfast is not included in the price. At the Reine Mathilde, it costs 7 euros. This is in line with what other hotels charge. That said, I suggest skipping it and going to the nearby boulangerie/patisserie instead for better food and better prices. I have always had great coffee in France but that coffee at this hotel was the weakest I have ever had. We requested stronger coffee, which was provided promptly but the wait staff acted as if my husband was a parasite for asking.

Finally, the hotel offers internet but you must pay. I am not sure of the cost as the packet in our room was incomplete.

Overall, it turned out to be a pleasant 2 night stay and I would recommend it to budget travelers. But, be aware of the caveats – skip breakfast and/or avoid staying here if you find automatic lights and sinks annoying.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Good location but I was disappointed with the staff's reluctance to speak English, even a little bit. I always began my conversations in French (I speak a little), but most of the staff refused to speak even a few words of English. The young girl working the front desk and breakfast would smile superficially and roll her eyes when asked for help.
If this town were dependent upon English-speaking tourism, I could forgive this. But they are, and showed little respect for people who came from countries who fought for their freedom.
I should also say I found this attitude from other service establishments in Bayeau, not just Mathilde.
As a result, I cut my trip to Bayeau short and returned to Paris where I found the people(ironically)much friendlier and willing to speak English when my French wasn't good enough.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank chumradio
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Stayed here for two nights while touring the D-Day beaches and enjoying time in Normandy. It's a really great family owned place. Everyone was extremely kind and helpful. Really can't say enough good things about the owners. They also have a restaurant with very good food. It's an ideal location and a real value. Rooms are clean, but small, as is the norm. The hotel is just steps from where the D-Day tours depart, and a very short walk to shops, restaurants, etc. I'd call this a gem.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElvisinLA
Reviewed June 3, 2009

The hotel has a great location in the middle of town. The cathedral was just across the street and 2 buildings away and the tapestry (a must see) was around the corner. We were picked up just behind the hotel for a D-Day tour and found lovely restaurants very close. We could decide and reserve for breakfast the day before. The owners were very nice with one of them always present. The place is well kept, priced nicely, and has a staff that is conscientious and eager to please.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Found this hotel to be excellent. Staff very accommodating. Restaurant has great food and breakfast is delicious and a good value. Rooms small, but cozy (we had three people in one room). Would not hesitate to stay here again. Location was perfect. Near to good shopping, the post office, several banks, wonderful restaurants and pubs. You'll enjoy it too!

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank hpdc
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Stayed two nights, and found this hotel to be great value for money in a great location. Room was very small, but clean and tidy. Bathroom was small but did have a seperate toilet. Staff spoke good english and breakfast was also good value. If you want value for money in a Bayeux hotel then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple