“Wonderful choice for an engaging experience”
Review of Bayeux Shuttle

Bayeux Shuttle
Ranked #1 of 46 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Guided private tours and group tours of the American, Canadian and British D-Day beaches and shuttle services to Le Mont St Michel.
Reviewed July 8, 2017

This tour was part of a 2-weeks solo backpacking trip in Europe. As my stay in France coincided with the anniversary of D-Day I thought it would be meaningful to explore the Normandy region and visit the landing beaches. My brother had piqued my interest in the events on D-Day having watched films like Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan and I was naturally inclined to go for the American D-Day experience tour.

Andy was our guide and he did an excellent job keeping the tour engaging. Together with the videos played on the bus and a real-time GPS map, there was never a dull moment. I appreciated how he made sure I didn't feel left out, being the only non-American in the group of 15. Andy was very knowledgeable and I felt I would have benefited much more if I had spent more time understanding the history of that fateful day before the tour. Nevertheless, Andy ensured the tour was not just a show&tell and sets you thinking on how no one wins at the end of a a war. I felt that it was extremely meaningful to start the tour at the German war cemetery. Being from a country where all men serve mandatory military service I sympathise with how these brave soldiers might merely be following orders and serving their nation.

Being an "American" D-Day Experience tour, there was heavy focus on the bravery and heroic acts of the American soldiers. But I was taken aback by a lady in the group who openly and specifically asked for my opinion towards the end of the tour, after confirming that it was my first time at the beaches (like many fellow American tour members). I could only presume that she thought I had zero knowledge of D-Day before the tour and probably even expecting me to sing praises for the bravery of the American soldiers. She later followed with a snide remark on my less-than-perfect complexion which I thought was uncalled for.

Other than the small incident, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I wished I had the time to also join the British and Canadian tours to gain more perspectives on D-Day and would encourage everyone to do so.

I also took the shuttle service to Mont Saint Michel through Bayeux Shuttle without any issues. The driver, Frederic, was polite and friendly.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,054)
All reviews
"normandy beaches"
in 98 reviews
"his passion"
in 67 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 61 reviews
"american beaches"
in 66 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

We decided two days before our arrival at Normandy that we should do a tour instead of try and figure it out on our own. I would HIGHLY recommend the same to anyone else wishing to see the D-Day sites.

We found Bayeux Shuttle on TripAdvisor and booked the tour through TripAdvisor as well, super easy process. We had no idea what to expect and with such short notice we figured it might not be that good. We were quite pleasantly surprised! This was an incredibly well done tour and our guide Jon was incredibly knowledgeable about all things D-Day. The van was modern and comfortable and even had onboard wifi! It is a full 9 hour day, but it is chock full of info and you get to see all the major relevant sites, there's no way you could do this yourself in this compact amount of time. Lunch is included and is served in a house that has been restored to D-Day era furnishings, which was also well done.

We were on our three week honeymoon and this tour was definitely one of the highlights of our trip, highly recommended!

Reviewed July 7, 2017

After reading reviews of various Normandy Beach tours, we selected Bayeux Shuttle and we were thrilled with our choice!! Lloyd was our tour guide and he was amazing. His extensive knowledge, enthusiasm and story telling skills just added to whole experience. We also enjoyed the provided lunch!! Do not hesitate to sign up for a Bayeux Shuttle tour and if you have the opportunity, to select Lloyd as your guide. This was the highlight of our trip to France.

Reviewed July 7, 2017

Andy provided an excellent background of not only historical facts but also the human side to what happened at Normandy when the Americans became involved in World War II. Our group of 14 extended family members thoroughly enjoyed his commentary, the short video clips on the bus and the site visits on this day-long tour which has given us new insight, perspective and interest in D-Day events.