“Michael brings Normandy to life!”

Perception Travel Private D-Day Tours
Ranked #28 of 37 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Normandy Tours of the D-Day landing sites personalised for you, whether driving from England or meeting up in France.
Boston, Massachusetts
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Michael brings Normandy to life!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

In our Lifetime, there are certain people regardless of ow old we get, whose names we never forget. You will never forget Michael Phillips. 5 years ago when we thought we were going to visit Normandy and WWIi Battle areas, I researched extensively every website and guide I could find on the Internet. I came across a review of a tour company written by George Wills, well known historian, author and commentator on a prominent and respected national TV station. I came across DDay tours, founded by Michael Phillips. I did some research on Michael, and chose his company as well as another to interview to take us around the battlegrounds and other significant sites. I emailed Michael and he promptly responded with dates available. As things transpired, we were unable to see him that trip. This past year I gave my husband, an avid historian, a tour with DDay tours and Michael Phillips as a birthday gift. (prior to booking again I did my research and knew we wanted to hire Michael for our tour guide). We booked with him and two months prior to our trip, he took it upon himself to call us in the States and speak withus regarding any special needs, requests or places to visit; he also asked if we had any family connections to Normandy that he could research for us to make the trip more meaningful, We knew we had a stellar guy!
He met us at our hotel and reviewed the extremely thorough schedule with us he had emailed prior to see if we wanted to make any changes. The day began at 8:45 am and ended at 5:pm. I knew my husband would love it, but I thought it might be a bit too intense for me. Quite the contrary! I loved all e places we visited, the thoroughness of Michaels thoughtful historical facts,a nd how he brought the region to life with all his human stories. We visited Mulberry Harbour at Arromanches and Gold Beach, gun battery at Longues, , Omaha Beach, American Military CemetRy, La Point du Hoc, special tour of the hedgerow all on day one. Day two came full circle wi Graignes Village, Carentan and CausewY, Dead Mans Corner, Utah Beach, Ste Mere Elise, Airborne Museum, Iron Mike Memorial at La Fiere, General Gavin's Foxhole, British Military Museum, Canadian Museum, Juno Beach, Pegasus Bridge. It was extraordinary, and Michael brought history to life in a way one would never imagine. We heard people asking their guides questions that they couldn't answer at Michael had just explained to us the whys and hows. He dedicates himself completely to his guests and only takes you on his tours which are private and geared to your wishes. We left friends, and will always remember Michael Phillips as an integral part of our long awaited tour of the WWIi beaches. He does a tremendous service to all the fallen of all the countries represented on these battlefields. For him, this is a life long avocation, not just a tour. If I could give him 10 stars, I (we) would.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Marilyn K

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Michael Phillips - Perception Travel”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 days touring Normandy, France with Michael Phillips. It was a trip never to be forgotten. Michael is extremely knowledgeable. He knows the historic facts as well as the human interest stories. Each day, he picked us up at 9:00 and we toured a different area, returning to our hotel around 5. Our agenda was well planned and varied. Michael was easy to travel with and provided so many curious and interesting insights. He was also quite helpful in directing us to good restaurants in Bayeux as well. We highly recommend MIchael should your travels take you to Normandy. The cost is well worth it.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Peg H
Allen, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific Tour!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife, father-in-law and daughters (then ages 18 and 20) had the opportunity to spend three days with Michael on July 3-5, touring the beaches and villages of Normandy and we all agree that it was the most enjoyable and informative time during our two weeks in France. Michael is an extremely personable and knowledgeable guide and we could not imagine having a better companion on our trip. At each stop along the way Michael took great effort to explain the background, setting and history of each of the various locations that we visited in order to allow us to understand and appreciate the significance of the history that was all around us.

In addition to the various sites listed as part of the tour itinerary, on the way back from Mont St. Michel to Bayeux, Michael took us on a spur of the moment side trip to the American Cemetery and Memorial in St. James. While considerably smaller than the American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, this cemetery was just as memorable given its magnificent setting in the rolling hills. Seeing that there were multiple cemetery memorials (including the British and German cemeteries) throughout the area puts into perspective the extent of those who fought and died in the Normandy campaign. It is truly a humbling experience.

We also enjoyed Michael’s personal ties to the D-Day experience as our daughters discovered the photograph of Michael’s father (a member of the British Army) on the wall at the Hotel Churchill and the tree in honor of Michael’s mother located at the German Military Cemetery.

Michael, thank you again for your time and efforts.

Marty, Lesley, Katie and Maddie W. Bill S.
Allen, Texas

Visited July 2013
1 Thank WiardaM
Oakland, Michigan
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best day of our trip. Thanks Michael”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our family toured the D-Day Beaches with Michael. It was an incredible experience. Michael shared history and stories that made the visit come to life for us. Can't imagine having visited without his knowledge and guidance. Thank you Michael

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Linda K
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“If you can get on his schedule, book him.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent a day with Michael touring Normandy in June. I thought my husband knew every detail of WW2 but Michael had him beat I think. He is very informative and will adjust the tour based on your interests but also makes sure to show you some sites that you might not have heard of or thought to visit. HIghly recommend Michael Phillips as a tour guide for Normandy.

Visited June 2013