“Hotel Churchill and Bayeux”
Review of Hotel Churchill

Hotel Churchill
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Our first impressions of the Churchill were a little less than we expected. We chose the Churchill for it's location and excellent reviews. We arrived by car from Paris (an easy drive). We were travelling with another couple. Our room (100) was great if a little tired and more "european" than our rooms in the big cities. Room 100 overlooks the courtyard/parking lot which is nicer than it sounds. Our room was large with a queen bed, day bed, desk, coffee table, good size closet. Plenty of floor space. Our friends room was small and a bit smelly. Their room only had twin beds which was upsetting since we had booked 6 months in advance and it was quite clear that we were couples. Our friends were told that Americans prefer twin beds anyway. We laughed. Oh, well. The hotel is very charming with pictures of WWII all over. The staff was very nice and managed to get me on the internet with my laptop which other hotels couldn't do.
It is right in a very old village. The hotel recommended two restaurants: The Rapiere and The Frangole. Both were fabulous and we would def. go back to either. The Rapiere was a bit higher end. The Frangole a little more casual but the service and food were beyond compare at both.
We booked a WWII tour with BattleBus and we met the bus in the parking lot. Couldn't have been easier. Our tour guide was Stuart. Unbelievable. Just great. The famous Tapestry was around the corner and shouldn't be missed. It only takes a few minutes to view the Tapestry with an audio guide. We drove to Mont. St. Michel. Too crowded but worth it.
I would stay at the Churchill again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank jtperreca
Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed July 30, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Churchill for several nights in late June 2007. We had two rooms, #200 and #205, and paid 90 euro and 120 euro for them. One room had a queen bed and was a bit small, but nicely decorated and well kept. The other room had a double bed, but also a sitting area with a couch and a bench. This room was quite large. It also had a great view of both the front of the hotel from one window as well as a fantastic view of the cathedral.

The breakfast room is large, and very light and welcoming. Breakfast is the usual breads, cereals, juice, etc. Coffee was not self serve, but rather they took our order for exactly how we would like it. This room has drinks (sodas included) available for guests at all hours.

The hotel has a nice boutique as well. All sorts of Hediard items (great chocolates!), specialty drinks, and various gift items.

The hotel is in a great location. The town of Bayeux is small, and the Churchill is very central to everything. It is a short walk from the train station as well. The Tapestry is just on the other side of the parking lot from the hotel, and the Battlebus D-Day tours leave from this lot as well. There is an alley out the back of the hotel to the street which is lined with shops and restaurants.

The staff are extremely helpful. The first night we asked for a restaurant recommendation for dinner and they asked us what we liked. They did not just give us a run of the mill recommendation, but rather based the recommendation on our preferences and it turned out to be perfect! They also were very helpful in providing train times for us.

This hotel is very comfortable, and the staff were all exceptional. We look forward to returning!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank Mtngrl
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Our family stayed at the Churchill in July '07. Rima and Francois were a great help during our stay. We enjoyed the great location and the small town of Bayeux. We also enjoyed a trip to Normandy. I would recommend staying at this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank CindyCincinnatiOhio
Reviewed July 15, 2007

My sons and I stayed for a week in July 2006 as we traveled the war sites. Both Rima and Francois were outstanding. They always made us feel like famliy and had great local knowledge. I would love to come back a stay again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day trip through Normandy and into Paris and I must say the Churchill far surpassed my expectations and needs. The first night was delightful, the staff was exceptional, the petite dejeuner enjoyable. The second, unplanned night was stressful but doable thanks to Rima's help and understanding. My husband experienced a fall at Port du Bessin and actually was unconscious for several seconds. With the aid of 2 residents, I was able to bring my husband to and drive back to Bayeux and the Hotel Churchill where Rima called an ambulance which transported him to the local hospital. The hospital was basic, but the doctor did all the right things for him. As I said we needed to stay over another night so that my husband could rest. Seeing how upset I was, Rima was also able to acquire a driver for us so that I did not have to drive into Paris the next day. She even gave us perfect directions to the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach, since my husband was determined to get there no matter how he felt. I can't praise the hotel, staff, para-medics, and hospital enough. I would definitely stay again and hope to soon, as we missed Mont St. Michel due to the mishap. Kudos to all and merci mille fois!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grandmere3x
Reviewed July 9, 2007

This has NEVER happened to me before and I'll bet it has never happened to you either. We reserved our room and in the reservation told the manager that I'm 6'6" and 250 lbs. When we arrived the manager saw just how big that actually is and said, "You'll never be able to fit in the bed that's in that room. Go walk around for 30 minutes and come back while we put a queen size bed in there." AND THEY DID!. Can you imagine another hotel doing something like that? No chance. The staff is superb. The breakfasts are filling. The location can't be beat.
We had to leave the hotel at 0615 to catch our train. When the manager heard me ask for the early wake-up call, she said, "I'll have one of the staff have an early breakfast for you." Breakfast is not normally served til 0700 but she had ours on the table at 0600. Again, can you imagine another hotel doing that? I don't think so.
This was, without a doubt, the best hotel experience we've ever had and we've been traveling for a lot of years to a lot of different places.
Like the title says...Stay here or miss a TREAT.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Mudge2
Reviewed July 9, 2007

The Hotel Churchill, The Perfect Place to Stay in Bayeux!! Everything about it is great. The owners run the hotel and they are such nice, helpful people. Just what you'd hope for and more in accommodation and pleasantries. It is very comfortable, the beds were good, decor right for a Normandy experience, and the location was exceptional ,only a block from their glorious cathedral and the incredible tapestry (that I have wanted to see for a long time!). Right out the door are many restaurants of all price ranges and up the street either way are very nice shops. Directly across the street is a gourmet cheese, wine and goodies shop which was delicious and dangerous for the waist line. Parking ample, convenient and free. Breakfast is daily but at an additional cost, so do check the prices so your are not surprised.

This hotel only books directly from their web site which is [--] and their email is info@hotel-churchill.fr But they do reply immediately and are profecient in English.

If we were handicapped there would be a problem as we did have to climb stairs. There may have been an elevator but didn't see one, so if that is a concern, please inquire first. Europe is not very disabled friendly on the whole and needs to work on more accessibility.

Bayeux is a wonderful central location to base your stay in Normandy and only an hour and a little from the beaches, Mont St Michele and Honfleur, my personal favorite and a must see in your life time. Caen is worth visiting to see William the Conqueror's Chateau or Fort and his Abbies. We really liked Dinan and Rouen also.

Stayed: May 2007