“Churchill-A Lifesaver” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Delran, NJ
“Churchill-A Lifesaver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day trip through Normandy and into Paris and I must say the Churchill far surpassed my expectations and needs. The first night was delightful, the staff was exceptional, the petite dejeuner enjoyable. The second, unplanned night was stressful but doable thanks to Rima's help and understanding. My husband experienced a fall at Port du Bessin and actually was unconscious for several seconds. With the aid of 2 residents, I was able to bring my husband to and drive back to Bayeux and the Hotel Churchill where Rima called an ambulance which transported him to the local hospital. The hospital was basic, but the doctor did all the right things for him. As I said we needed to stay over another night so that my husband could rest. Seeing how upset I was, Rima was also able to acquire a driver for us so that I did not have to drive into Paris the next day. She even gave us perfect directions to the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach, since my husband was determined to get there no matter how he felt. I can't praise the hotel, staff, para-medics, and hospital enough. I would definitely stay again and hope to soon, as we missed Mont St. Michel due to the mishap. Kudos to all and merci mille fois!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grandmere3x

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Bunker Hill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

This has NEVER happened to me before and I'll bet it has never happened to you either. We reserved our room and in the reservation told the manager that I'm 6'6" and 250 lbs. When we arrived the manager saw just how big that actually is and said, "You'll never be able to fit in the bed that's in that room. Go walk around for 30 minutes and come back while we put a queen size bed in there." AND THEY DID!. Can you imagine another hotel doing something like that? No chance. The staff is superb. The breakfasts are filling. The location can't be beat.
We had to leave the hotel at 0615 to catch our train. When the manager heard me ask for the early wake-up call, she said, "I'll have one of the staff have an early breakfast for you." Breakfast is not normally served til 0700 but she had ours on the table at 0600. Again, can you imagine another hotel doing that? I don't think so.
This was, without a doubt, the best hotel experience we've ever had and we've been traveling for a lot of years to a lot of different places.
Like the title says...Stay here or miss a TREAT.

• Liked — The entire experience
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Mudge2
washington, dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

The Hotel Churchill, The Perfect Place to Stay in Bayeux!! Everything about it is great. The owners run the hotel and they are such nice, helpful people. Just what you'd hope for and more in accommodation and pleasantries. It is very comfortable, the beds were good, decor right for a Normandy experience, and the location was exceptional ,only a block from their glorious cathedral and the incredible tapestry (that I have wanted to see for a long time!). Right out the door are many restaurants of all price ranges and up the street either way are very nice shops. Directly across the street is a gourmet cheese, wine and goodies shop which was delicious and dangerous for the waist line. Parking ample, convenient and free. Breakfast is daily but at an additional cost, so do check the prices so your are not surprised.

This hotel only books directly from their web site which is [--] and their email is info@hotel-churchill.fr But they do reply immediately and are profecient in English.

If we were handicapped there would be a problem as we did have to climb stairs. There may have been an elevator but didn't see one, so if that is a concern, please inquire first. Europe is not very disabled friendly on the whole and needs to work on more accessibility.

Bayeux is a wonderful central location to base your stay in Normandy and only an hour and a little from the beaches, Mont St Michele and Honfleur, my personal favorite and a must see in your life time. Caen is worth visiting to see William the Conqueror's Chateau or Fort and his Abbies. We really liked Dinan and Rouen also.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank travelagentjudy
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

We just returned from an 8 day biking trip to the coast of Normandy through a self-guided tour. The first 2 nights were spent at the Hotel Churchill. The staff went out their way to make sure that everything was just so. We encountered some difficulties with our tour personnel not arriving as specified, and Rima made several phone
calls to Vancouver, BC for us to speak with the tour operators. She and the other hotel staff were patient and genuinely concerned about this problem and worked to help us correct it. Many kudos to them for making our stay pleasant.

The room was clean, located on the first floor (#11) and looked out onto the back and side courtyard. Breakfast was good-croissant, pane chocolat, baguettes, orange juice and wonderful coffee. The hotel was
conveniently located to everything including the tapestry, the cathedral, and many restaurants, grocery stores, and pharmacies. Bayeaux is close to all of the D-Day landing sites, and this hotel would make an excellent place to stay to do day trips from.

• Liked — staff, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank debc58
West Sunbury, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

The Churchill Hotel in Bayeux was a lovely place to stay. Rima and Francois Hebert and their staff were extremely helpful. I happened to get sick and needed to seek medical attention while in Bayeux, and the people at the hotel could not have been kinder. I appreciated their caring attitude and quick response to my situation. Thank you so much for making a difficult situation so much better.
Elizabeth Travaglio

• Liked — staff/location
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank travtraveler
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

My family and I just returned from a week long holiday in Normandy utilizing Bayeux as our central base for visiting WW2 sites and the gorgeous coastal towns. I place great emphasis on the comments made at the tripadvisor site particularly as it pertains to hotel accommodations. I am in complete agreement with the multitude of outstanding comments about the Hotel Churchill that precede mine.

The hotel is an absolute gem in the heart of Bayeux! Mrs. Rima Hebert makes each of her guests feel right at home in this charming, well priced, boutique style hotel perfectly situated in the center of town. Her warmth and generosity were essential to making my family's (including two boys, ages 8 and 10) stay the most memorable of our entire trip to Europe. Mrs Hebert's really does demonstrate an incredible ability to make each of her guests feel like visiting friends. As such, we look forward to staying with our friends at the Hotel Churchill again when we return in the near future.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank huey_chopper
San Jose, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2007

We stayed in the hotel in late May 2007. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Excellent central location. You are right downtown and central. Rooms are very nice and kept really clean. I can not speak so highly of the staff.

• Liked — Helpful Staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple