“Great Hotel!”
Review of Hotel Churchill

Hotel Churchill
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed April 12, 2007

Fantastic location. Nice hotel. Parking. Good breakfast. Owners very helpful in booking tours and itinerary planning. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Churchill

Reviewed April 10, 2007

Overall we had a good experience here. The owners are wonderful - accomodating, helpful, gave us great restaurant recommendations. It's very centrally located, near the D-Day tour pickup sites and next to a grocery store (15-cent bottles of water!) , and near lots of good restaurants, the tapestry and cathedral. We loved the liberation pictures in the hallways. Internet available in the lobby or in the room if you have a laptop. The bed was not really comfortable, though...and I think I would have chosen not to have breakfast through the hotel, I was quoted a price that included it but saw later that we could have opted out. It was expensive, good Museli but otherwise nothing to get excited about, and there were tons of pastry shops in the area.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank njtraveler15
Reviewed March 26, 2007

We spent 2 nights in March and we had a wonderful stay thanks in a large measure to the personalities and staff at the Churchill. Info and suggestions for area were terrific. the hotel is in the middle of the historic town and just close to everything, the tapestry is at the back of the hotel and we had a lovely room with a view of the cathedral. The breakfast room is cheery and nice they served continental breakfast with cereals and yoghurt (the best muesli that we had) they have a lovely boutique and are literally at the pick up point for the D-day excursions. We will return as our stay in this area was far too short.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank LunaMontreal
Reviewed March 11, 2007

If you're going to Normandy, stay in Bayeux and stay at the Churchill. We stayed here for three nights and wish it had been longer. The location is perfect, right on a pedestrian only street of shops and restaurants and the tapestry is just behind. Rooms are on both sides of a cobblestone walkway. Mme. Hebert is a wonderful host and recommended great restaurants to us, so be sure to ask her. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent - baguettes, croissants, pain au chocolat, butter, jams, orange juice and coffee, tea or hot chocolate - and the breakfast room is cheery. The boutique in the hotel has some of the nicest gifts I brought back. The stariways and hallways are lined with wonderful World War II photos - walking to your room was like a history lesson. We hope to return here and stay longer.

• Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank JPZ
Reviewed December 7, 2006

This was my second trip to Normandy, but this time I was travelling by myself. I chose Hotel Churchill based on other very positive reviews, and I found it to be charming, clean, comfortable, affordable and extremely friendly. I was in Normandy to visit D-Day battle sites and to view the Bayeux Tapestry. The location of the hotel couldn't have been more convenient for either. The Tapestry is located within a few minutes of the hotel, and the D-Day Tour bus embarkment area was a few steps away! It is also very close to the Cathedral. My favorite thing about Hotel Churchill were the owners and staff of the hotel. All were extremely friendly and helpful, and maybe because I was traveling alone, I appreciated it more. As an example, on the morning I was checking out, my rental car's battery was completely "dead"...the car would not start. To complicate things, I was leaving in an hour for a day-long tour. Rima Hebert, the owner, speaks fluent English and French and was extremely helpful to me making arrangements for my car to be "jumped" when I returned from my tour. I was allowed to keep my bags in the hotel after checking out (because my car would not lock) until I returned from the tour and until my car was back in service! Rima and her husband demonstrated geniune empathy and kindness, and it is reflected in their entire staff at the hotel. I plan to return to Normandy in the future, and I will stay at Hotel Churchill without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank Tommyhawk
Reviewed November 3, 2006

Trust me, you will not find a better place to stay for visiting the D-day beaches and nearby sites. Within six blocks, there are dozens of restaurants, shopping boutiques of every kind, banks and atms, hardware stores etc. Across the street (litterally) is the pick up point for all tours departing for D-day beaches. Also the Bayeux Tapestry is 100 ft away. The Bayeux Cathedral is just a 5 minute walk away but its spires are the view outside the windows day and night. The location is just perfect. There are only a couple of other hotels along this main street where all the shops and restaurants are located but they are not as centrally located or convenient to the main attractions. They are probably not nearly as inexpensive either. The room was warm, the beds were very comfy, we had a nice sitting area and the bathroom was clean. The owners were very helpful, courteous and genuine. Reminded me of the service you can still get in the rural south in the U.S. The owners speak English and are anxious to answer any questions, call a taxi for you, point you the way, help with luggage or anything else. Trust me, if your an American, it's the only place, in my honest opinion, to stay in Bayeux. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or would like to see pictures.

John Upton
Lancaster, PA
johncindyupton@comcast.net

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank JohnUpton
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Our family (2 children both age 11 and 2 adults) spent a weekend in October visiting the sights of Normandy. The Hotel Churchill was our “home base”. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and always willing to help with dinner reservations, directions and suggestions. The location was ideal for exploring the major sights of Normandy: Bayeux, the D-day beaches and Mont-St-Michel. We highly recommend the hotel and hope to return some day.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family