“5 Star Luxury”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Washington, DC
“5 Star Luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Brand new hotel owned by the Churchill Hotel ( next door ). Beautiful large rooms, king size beds, spacious bathroom with separate glass enclosed shower. Free wifi and mini-bar. Beautiful French doors opening with a view to the church steeples. Breakfast ( not included, 16 euro per person ) has a wide variety of foods plus eggs served any style. There is a gated parking lot. Nice little bar in the lobby. The staff speaks perfect English and Yuri was most helpful with our cell phone and computer problems ( our issues, not the hotel's ). The hotel recommended La Coline D'Enzo, Le Petit Normand and La Rapiere for dinner...all are excellent. The intown location makes it easy to walk everywhere. We were in room # 202 from May 4 - 8.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Blairsville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I have just returned to the States after spending the last two weeks in the Normandy area of France. We chose to have as one of our base locations the town of Bayeux. When I first started planning our May 2012 vacation, last September 2011, I found out about a new hotel being built in Bayeux by the same owners of the well respected Hotel Churchill. The family owned Villa Lara Hotel opened in March of this year and is everything and more of what other reviewers have commented on. Outstanding decor, perfect in town location, secure parking, elevator and excellent breakfast. The reception team, Yuri, Morgana and Alexandre were ALWAYS smiling and concerned about how our day had been and very willing to offer suggestions on attractions and dining choices. We only had contact with Julie at breakfast time and she was very charming to visit with. All the staff truly seem to care about your enjoying your stay. The housekeeping staff gets lots of kudos also as everything was spotlessly clean and fresh smelling.

We stayed at Villa Lara for five nights from May 14 - May 19 in a Prestige room (#202) and everything was perfect, perfect, perfect.

Thank you Rima and all your staff for making our stay and visit so enjoyable.

Room Tip: The hotel floor plan allows all rooms to have a view of the spectacular Cathedral and the views at n...
1 Thank joy12Blairsville_GA
Sun Valley, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed at the newly opened Villa Lara for 2 nights in mid May (wish it was longer!). The rooms are beautifully appointed with very comforatable beds and large bathrooms - separate tub/shower in mine. The in room safe is large enough to hold a small laptop - hard to find a large safe in most hotels. My room had a small balcony that looked out onto the Bayeux cathedral - spectacular at night! But what truly defined our stay is the outstanding service from Yuri and Morgana - they are so friendly and helpful - making sure you enjoy your stay at the Villa Lara. The breckfast was great too! This was by far the best hotel we stayed at in all of France and I can't wait to go back. If you are travelling to Normandy and touring the DDay sites - stay at this perfect hotel you won't be disappointed! Also, the Saint Laurent restaurant was wonderful in Bayeux - thank you Yuri for the recommendation!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jan W
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

We only stayed one night at Villa Lara and I wish we had planned a longer trip. The hotel was wonderful! We had two rooms. They were both perfect with plenty of room for the adults and the kids! The beds were large and extremely comfortable. There were two large televisions so the kids could watch something and we were not subject to cartoons. The bathroom was luxurious, with more than enough plush towels AND washcloths!! The mini bar provided complimentary water and soda which was wonderful after we had spent the entire day touring and had not had time to stop and buy anything. They also had a kettle in the room along with tea and coffee which again was very much appreciated after a long day and an early morning!
The location was perfect as it is close to everything and it is all quite walkable. The staff was more than friendly and all spoke perfect English. I loved the little bar in the hotel and even the guests were all very friendly!!!
I can honestly say I am really looking forward to another trip to Bayeux.. I loved this hotel and would happily stay there any time!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
South Harwich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

The Villa Lara is a first class hotel without being pretentious. Traveling alone, I stayed here May 1 and 2. The staff was welcoming and eager to help with any request. The room was beautifully decorated, the bed comfortable. The large marble and granite bath with its plush towels and robe was extraordinary. I loved the cozy bar and the attentive staff at breakfast.

The hosts Rima and Francois Hebert took great pride in the World War II history of Normandy. I was there to honor my late husband, a B-26 Marauder pilot, by visiting the Utah Beach Museum , which now displays one of the few Marauders left in the world. Francois was eager to show me the historic photos that line the walls of the adjacent Hotel Churchill.

This was my fifth visit to Bayeux, a beautiful town with a cathedral right next to the hotel, the historic tapestry a short walk up the street, and wonderful restaurants. This is also a very convenient location for touring the WW II sites. I look forward to returning and staying here once again.
C. Rehr

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank CRREHR
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed at the Villa Lara on May 17, 2012 & it was truly magnificent. The room itself could not have been better: it had an enormous bed that was extremely comfortable, it had a huge TV with a great selection of channels in many languages, a fantastic bathroom & a BIG shower. It even had a nice little refrigerator with bottles of still water, sparkling water, Coke & Coke Light in it & they were free of charge! The lounge/lobby area is impeccably decorated & very inviting. There is a lobby bar serving wines, soft drinks, cocktails, etc. They even give you peanuts, pretzels & olives to nibble on while you enjoy your drink(s). It was a big relief that there was wifi throughout the hotel - which was accessed by a passcode specific to my room! The signal throughout the hotel was very strong & fast. So, the Villa Lara provided me with a massive & comfortable bed, a great shower, a good bar & flawless wifi! Those are things I need the most when I travel. Also, everything was spotlessly clean despite the fact that I did not see maid carts blocking the hallways when I departed.

One important benefit of staying at the Villa Lara is its location. It is in the center of Bayeux & is therefore close to all the main restaurants & shops of the central city district. Also, most of the Normandy Battlefield tour operators pick-up their groups for tours of the D-Day landing beaches from Place de Québec - which is also the location of the Villa Lara! In other words, you can book a D-Day tour & just walk out the front door to meet the tour guide at his van/bus. In that crucial respect, the Villa Lara's location can't be beat. For any Brit, Canadian, American or German interested in seeing the invasion beaches from June 6, 1944, the most convenient way to do it is to stay at the Villa Lara. From Bayeux, all of the most significant locations associated with the Normandy invasion are not far away - if you have a car, you can be at Omaha beach in about 15 minutes, Pointe Du Hoc in about 20 minutes or Pegasus Bridge in about 30 minutes. Carentan is about 30 minutes away to the West, & Utah Beach & Sainte-Mère-Église are only 45 minutes away on the N13 highway. In other words, the Villa Lara is centrally located to every major site relating to the battles of the summer 1944, so it really is the best hotel location for anyone interested in World War II history. It doesn't hurt at all that this hotel is also walking distance from the Bayeux train station (I came in by train & walked to the Villa Lara in 10 minutes).

Although all of these features make this hotel a truly exceptional place, the best part of the experience of staying at the Villa Lara (for me) was/is the staff. From the moment of my arrival to the moment of my departure, the people who work there made the experience absolutely perfect. Everyone I encountered was very professional, very courteous & multi-lingual. In fact, everyone who works there is ACTUALLY English fluent (unlike some of the places that I've stayed in Normandy that claim to be English friendly but only know a few words & awkward phrases). The Villa Lara's staff could not be more welcoming & they catered to everything from restaurant advice to driving directions, maps & inquiries about ATMs & even the post office. These people know how to do hospitality.

I have nothing negative to say about this hotel, which is extremely rare because I travel a lot & I am very picky about accommodations. My only regrets were that I didn't have time to order room service or use the fitness center (three aerobic machines - no weights). The breakfast is also noteworthy in so far as it was quite good & everything was fresh & delicious.

In conclusion, the Villa Lara is the finest hotel in all of Normandy. I having always hoped that something like this would open in Normandy & it is finally here! From now on, I will not stay anywhere else.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

Excellent service, beautiful room, great location.

• Stayed May 2012