“Not exactly what we expected”
Review of Le Conquerant

Le Conquerant
Ranked #11 of 109 Restaurants in Bayeux
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: As Marc Fortier is french & his wife Dara is Irish, that makes for a warm welcome in french and english! Our aim is to give a friendly welcome whilst providing simple but good food & drinks at reasonable prices! Our food menu includes - FISH & CHIPS, hamburgers, fresh sandwiches, omelettes, homemade soup, toasted sandwiches, salads, & for those missing them - hot dogs! We also have a tasty choice of crepes, waffles & warm chocolate cake ..To drink, we have the treasured produce of Normandys apples.. apple juice, cider, Pommeau & Calvados. We also have the goodness of Guinness- of course!To quench your thirst further, we have a wide range of fruit juices, sodas, mineral water & very good coffee !! Food & drink service continues all through the day, so if you'd like a tasty omelette at 11.30Am or 5pm - yes we can ! Just follow the signs for the main entrance to the Bayeux Tapestry, we're the red building just opposite ! We look forward to welcoming you : ) Marc et Dara :)
Reviewed October 5, 2014

We chose this restaurant based on the reviews here. We are a family with six children, aged 6 to 17, so we needed something affordable and family-friendly. It was a Sunday night when grocery stores are closed, so we couldn't picnic like we normally do.

The restaurant was very pleasant and clean with a great comfortable feel. The waitress opened a previously-blocked off area just for us which allowed us lots of space. The kids paired up at different tables and played some games that were provided by the restaurant. My husband and I were able to relax and drink wine/beer while we waited for our food.

The restaurant promises food that is simple and affordable. I think that it fulfilled that promise. Our bill was 51 euros for 8. The kids drank water.

However, the food wasn't exactly what we were expecting. It was an interesting mix of English and French. The hot dogs came with ketchup, something that I've never seen in the US and something my kids do not like. The waitress suggested that they scrape it off, instead of offering to get them fresh plates. We could have insisted, but we tried to make the best of it. The kids' plain buttered noodles were heavily salted. My son asked for an omelet without cheese, but the waitress didn't understand and so he was a bit disappointed when it came with copious amounts of cheese. The salad dressing on my green salad appeared to be vinaigrette, but it was sweet, something I've never seen in France.

My only guess is that since this place is obviously geared toward English speakers, that the food is done in a British style? I don't know, but it certainly didn't suit these American palates. That said, the tomato soup was well done even though it came with plain white sandwich bread on the side.

Date of visit: October 2014
6  Thank JessicaGFisher

Reviewed September 6, 2014

We chose this place because of the great ratings and because we wanted something light. we had had a lot of heavy food, and just wanted something simple and plain.

This place did not disappoint. It's more of a bar than a restaurant, but it was still family friendly. English is spoken here, quite well. My son had hot dogs, which he really enjoyed. I had a "toastie" (kind of like a cross between an American grilled cheese and a French croque). My husband doesn't remember what he had but remembers it was nice and simple. We were quite pleased.

1  Thank TracieKnits
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We had spent the day touring Normandie and needed a late afternoon break. It was raining so we headed into the only pub I could find that was open and Le Conquerant had a Guinness sign above the door, so I knew we could not go completely wrong. Turned out to be a great local pub and friendly staff. Not as fluent in English as the sign on the door says but you are in France so people speak French. We met some local people to speak with and ended up having a great time, so much so we had to hustle to make the train. Le Conquerant is across the street from Bayuex tapestry and 5-7 minute walk to the train. Wine was below average, Guinness was great. Try the "Toasties" with frites, excellent pub food. Only drawback was the crashing of kegs and bottles that a delivery was made that almost cleared out the place. Prices not bad.

Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

What can I say.... Great food at a reasonable price & friendly staff. Adults & kids all loved the food here & would highly recommend

Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is a really lovely place to eat in Bayeux, friendly staff and excellent food, shame I left my souvenirs from the Tapestry museum here!

2  Thank Penny C
ConquerorBayeux, Owner at Le Conquerant, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Bonjour Penny ,
Merci for your kind words :)

The good news is - we have your souvenirs ! We were hoping that whoever had left them might be back again, so I was delighted to read your comment & so find the owner :)

If you would like to send your address to my e-mail at darabayeux@gmail.com , citing what is in the bag ( purely to avoid someone else possibly trying to claim them !) , we would be happy to send them onto you.

Kind regards