“Very friendly and hospitable.”
Review of Le Conquerant

Le Conquerant
Ranked #9 of 101 Restaurants in Bayeux
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: As Marc Fortier is french & his wife Dara is Irish, that makes for a warm welcome in french and english! Our aim is to give a friendly welcome whilst providing simple but good food & drinks at reasonable prices! Our food menu includes - FISH & CHIPS, hamburgers, fresh sandwiches, omelettes, homemade soup, toasted sandwiches, salads, & for those missing them - hot dogs! We also have a tasty choice of crepes, waffles & warm chocolate cake ..To drink, we have the treasured produce of Normandys apples.. apple juice, cider, Pommeau & Calvados. We also have the goodness of Guinness- of course!To quench your thirst further, we have a wide range of fruit juices, sodas, mineral water & very good coffee !! Food & drink service continues all through the day, so if you'd like a tasty omelette at 11.30Am or 5pm - yes we can ! Just follow the signs for the main entrance to the Bayeux Tapestry, we're the red building just opposite ! We look forward to welcoming you : ) Marc et Dara :)
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We found this bar by accident whilst visiting Bayeux on a social visit with colleagues and were very pleased we did. Dara and Marc were very good and friendly hosts and we found the drinks to be reasonably priced compared to other bars in Bayeux that we visited the previous evening. We were welcomed and encouraged to socialise with other local users of the bar which improved our grasp of the language a little also. We will be coming to see them again on our next visit for sure.

4  Thank Paul G

Reviewed December 10, 2011

Well, where shall I start? Me and my husband only live 10mins from Bayeux so we decided one sunday lunch time to go for something to eat. We had previously been to 'Le Conquerant' (English speaking) before but just for something to drink after our visit to the 'Bayeux Tapestry'. We had briefly looked at the menu and said we would come back someday to try the food.

We arrived around 1 o'clock-ish and was greeted at the door by the owner who shook us by the hand. He said we could sit anywhere we wished. We sat in a little room out the back which was beautifully decorated. Very comfortable chairs!!! We were given a menu each and the owner recommended the 'Fish & Chips' and said it was very good. He left us to decide and then after a few minutes his wife (a lovely irish lady) came and took our order. She also told us that they sold guinness and a very nice apple cider. We ordered our fish & chips and my husband ordered a half cider and I had a cappuccino.

Well, the cappuccino was devine. A lovely strong french coffee with cream on top and chocolate. Yum yum :-D My husband's cider was out of this world! A lovely apple flavour with a sweetness to it. Not to fizzy like other ciders we have had. I would recommend trying this if you visit here.

We didn't have to wait long for our meals to arrive. They both came freshly cooked and hot. We were also given sauces (including tartare sauce), vinegar and freshly cut lemon on a side dish. The fish was golden and crispy. Not greasy at all which was nice. The fish was also skinless and boneless which was another bonus! The chips were also crispy and the meal came with a side of coleslaw which we both thoroughly enjoyed. We finished our meals happy and relaxed.

The price of the fish & chips was €8.50 each.

We will definitely be returning to 'Le Conquerant' and will recommend it to others.

2  Thank MrsReim
Reviewed November 13, 2011

After being in Paris for 5 days we just loved the relaxed atmosphere of this cafe! The tomatoe soup was the best! The owners were so nice and sat and talked with us for a long time.

2  Thank Carol M
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My sister, my niece and I stopped by Le Conquerant for an afternoon beer after visiting the Bayeux Tapestry. The owner, Marc, could not have been nicer! He noticed my lack of a jacket and insisted on moving us to a table in the afternoon sun. His outdoor chairs are, by the way, all furnished with comfy cushions. We chatted amiably, but not intrusively (some language difficulty but we managed). The outside of the establishment looks like a pub but the inside has a quite nice-looking restaurant/bar vibe with fireplaces. I would highly recommend Le Conquerant to Bayeux Tapestry visitors and also to younger visitors since Marc and his Irish wife frequently offer live music.

3  Thank hquigley
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I went to this pub primarily to use the internet. I was charmed by Dara the Irish woman who with her husband just took over the pub in April. She was extremely helpful- above and beyond the call of duty- and later I went back and enjoyed a snack and a drink.

3  Thank barbara l