“What an experience!”

D-Day Historian - Paul Woodadge
Ranked #7 of 37 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours of the D-Day beaches and battlefields of Normandy for history-buffs and passionate travellers who want a detailed look at the historical areas, visiting not just the famous sites, but places off the beaten path that are often overlooked. Paul Woodadge is also an author and military consultant for TV shows and projects about the DDay landings and battle of Normandy.
Westchester, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What an experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I did the two-day American Experience tour. Paul offers his tours to small groups of people, which works out well in holding your interest and minimizes distractions. He took us to some wonderful spots and told stories of how the military actions played into the invasion. Some areas are well known - e.g. Omaha Beach; others are little out-of -the way spots that had a telling impact on the big invasion picture. His knowledge of the D-Day battle (both facts and details) is very thorough, but the stories he tells are what really grips your interest. Paul knew and still knows some of the D-Day veterans, and he is very passionate in telling their stories. We felt very moved by the courage, heroism and sacrifice of the individual soldiers involved in these engagements. We highly recommend his tours. Paul - you did a great job.

Bob and Patricia

Visited September 2013

Naples, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An intense experience for history lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is more than a tour. It is more like an experience, and is definitely not a casual day's stroll. Paul will take you to some lovely, picturesque spot and will proceed to tell you what happened there. It is sobering. You will leave with an understanding of why and how events unfolded and the unimaginable courage and sacrifice of individual soldiers involved. His knowledge is encyclopedic, but it is his passion for his subject that makes the difference. His retelling of events is thorough and comprehensive involving strategy, weather conditions, equipment, psychology, decision-making, results...you get my drift! Thorough. Read his website and come prepared. I found myself hoping to become more worthy of the terrible sacrifices that were made for the lives of people like me, people those soldiers never knew! Many thanks, Paul!

Visited September 2013
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 4 days touring with Paul. Because I am very interested in the airborne operations of D-Day, we signed up for his American Experience tours, his Band of Brothers tour, and I also reserved a fourth day private tour. All four days were truly Exceptional. Paul combines a wealth of information along with a burning passion that translates into a remarkable touring experience. When you tour with Paul, you have access to information that has been conveyed to him through the personal experiences of those that were there. You also receive accurate information from someone who has done his homework thoroughly. The sites and stories that are on the itinerary are the true stories of D-Day--not just the big name sites like Omaha Beach. Paul spends significant time describing the heroism and significance of the soldiers who bravely fought and died for freedom. The stories are well told and are conveyed in a way that both the novice and the informed will enjoy and learn from. I have read over 30 books on the subject of the D-Day landings and felt that I had a good grasp of what transpired but the information I had was miniscule compared to Paul's. I would recommend Paul's tours without reservation. I know for a fact that I will return for more tours with Paul. If you sign up with any other tour operator you are making a big mistake.
We enjoyed our four days immensely.
Pat & Stephen

1 Thank Stephen W
Evergreen Park, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I spent a lot of time researching tours for our trip to France. The main focus was to be Normandy and the D Day beaches with a few days in Paris. I did a lot of internet research for our tour in Normandy and finally decided to take the two day American Experience tour with Paul. Are we ever glad we did! It was by far the highlight of our ten days in France. Being born after WWII my knowledge of the Battle of Normandy was from school, my parents, movies, and books. I knew we would see the sights but what I wasn't prepared for was the stories. Paul has an overwhelming knowledge of the facts of battles and places where key events took place. Yes you could travel to Normandy and rent a car to see Omaha and Utah beaches as well as Pointe Du Hoc but you would miss out on the details and information that Paul gives you. He has personal relationships with many of the veterans (sadly there are less and less of them left). Their personal accounts of what happened are re-lived through Paul-how wonderful that these veterans stories will go on even after they are gone. Yes it was great to see the beaches and all the places that any tour will take you but what will stick with me forever are the lesser known places that Paul took us where key battles were fought and many hero's were made. I think the church in Angoville Au Plain affected me the most. What a story! If you want a moving and meaningful tour you should take this one!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent tour from a well read and highly knowledgable guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I took the two day American tour in the beginning of August 2013. Paul was an excellent tour guide who took us to a number of points of interest, besides the main stops you'd get on a big tour. He was able to relate the actions that occurred D-Day in a way that was very engaging and kept everyone interested. Will definitely use him again if we make our way back to Normandy to explore more.