“Loved the Lion D'Or!!!!”
Review of Le Lion d'Or

Le Lion d'Or
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
PA - USA
“Loved the Lion D'Or!!!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

First I wanted to say that my wife and I relied heavily on this site when we planned our trip to France this past July. As a big WWII buff I wanted to see the sites and we decided on Bayeux as our base location. Upon looking at the pictures and reviews we decided on the Lion D'Or. We could not have been happier with our decision. The hotel staff was very helpful, room was very large (we stayed in A1 which I recommend) and the restaurant onsite is one of our favorites in all of France. The location of the hotel is also great if you plan on visiting the D-Day locations and also is centrally located in a beautiful town (spend at least 1/2 day exploring this town). Trust me, you cant go wrong here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BC4323

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
England
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We drove down to Newhaven, stayed overnight, then caught the ferry to Dieppe. It's a long drive from there to Bayeux.

By the time we arrived in gathering darkness, trying to follow all the signs to the hotel, I was bursting. When we finally got there and pulled into the cobbled forecourt, I could wait no longer and went straight into reception.

Two stone-faced women sat there, and I explained in rapid French that I had a reservation, they were expecting me, but I needed the toilettte as a matter of urgency. Instead of saying "How nice to see you" or "Glad you made it" all I got was a curt nod and the flick of a pen towards the direction I had to go.

Not a good start.

Back outside, no-one had helped my (equally tired) husband to unload the car, so I did.

It got worse.

Up in the room which was supposed to be a Superior Room, I immediately called down to reception and had a furious row with them in rapid French. The room was so small that you had to close all the doors (corridor, bathroom and wardrobe) before you could unpack your suitcases. The (double) bed was so small that my husband had to sleep on the couch (in a Superior Room you get a couch squeezed into the room) for the two nights we were there. They could or would not change the room.

In the restaurant, we arrived so late that we were stuck in a side room, and it's one of those places where the Wine Waiter takes the bottle away from you and places it on a table just out of reach. This always makes me mad - it's our wine, not his!

Next night, I explained to the staff ahead of time that I was unhappy with the side room and wanted to be seated in the main restaurant. This took some time and great deal of energy. I don't remember the food or service being anything to remark upon other than that the Wine Waiter (who seems to be God) kept taking our wine away to pour it when he saw fit.

It got worse.

We checked out and headed north-east to another hotel. Driving away, I examined the bill. We had been charged for vodka and gin from the mini-bar. We don't drink spirits, let alone either of these. They had ripped us off but it was simply too ghastly to go back and complain, again. In any case, they would probably have just shrugged in total indifference. Again.

It's handy for the D-Day beaches, which was the purpose of our visit. That 's the only good thing I can say about it, franklly.

• Liked — Bayeux is handy for D-Day beaches. No need to stay here though.
  • Disliked — Everything, really. Unfriendly staff, disappointing room, patronising attitude and being ripped off.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ShaCL
Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We stayed here for one night, but we could have stayed for more. Very clean and neat hotel that is in the middle of a small and adorable town. The food was good - they are known for their food - and the room was nice.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank JRSy17
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 24, 2007

Our family reserved two rooms in March of 2007. Because we were off-season, we found the prices (through [----]) very reasonable. The location is good; we walked the four or five blocks to the Tapestry and Cathedral. The front desk personnel were friendly and capable.

The hotel has a quirky charm, as you often find in older hotels in Europe. We were quite comfortable and satisfied. There was a nice small lounge and bar. My only complaints were 1) that the shower head in one bathroom was at about 5 feet, which made it awkward; and 2) the lighting was inadequate in the hallways. Those with large vehicles should know they may not fit in the tight parking lot. Parking is €5 extra per night.

There are many shops and restaurants on the rue Saint Jean. (We found that little is open on Sunday or early on Monday morning.) We did not eat in the hotel, but if you have three hours for a leisurely dinner, the prix fixe at La Rapiere, two minutes away on rue Saint Jean, was superb and a good value..

I don't know how good a base the Le Lion d'Or would be for a family with small children, but for adults and teenagers, I'd highly recommend it.

• Liked — Older hotel with character, well presented and maintained
  • Disliked — Lighting in the hallways was inadequate.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank KansanRover
Worcester, UK
Reviewed March 22, 2007

We stayed for three nights at the Lion d'Or in February for our wedding anniversary. The hotel was a treat and the photos in the lounge showed a variety of famous people who have stayed there over the years.

We had a small suite on the second floor - no lift, but one of the very friendly staff helped with our bags. The sofa was comfortable and the bedroom was to die for. Large bathroom, with robes and separate toilet - all spotlessly clean. TV and mini bar were also in the room. We overlooked the courtyard, but as this is an old coaching inn this added to the atmosphere and there were views of Bayeux Cathedral in the distance.

Where the Lion d'Or really comes into its own, however, is the food. We ate in the hotel and thought the prices were reasonable for the standard of food we enjoyed - I would never have thought that prawns,
pistachio and caramel went together - but, boy, they did!

This hotel is a wonderful centre for exploring Bayeux and the D-Day beaches, but I would recommend it just for a relaxing weekend with incomparable service.

• Liked — The food & service
  • Disliked — It was perfect!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MuggleB
Allen, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2007

We stayed here in June of 2004. I would say the room was the most expensive we stayed in on our trip to Europe that summer but it included breakfest and dinner. Our room was comtable and clean. Very convient to visit the Normandy beaches we used Battlebus tours which I would highly recommend! This is a very quiant hotel. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was clean. We had a room that overlooked the parking lot but was very quiet. I would stay here again when I plan on returning to Normandy

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DWDSWT
columbia,south carolina
Reviewed October 23, 2006

Stayed two nights in Bayeux at the Le Lion d'Or Hotel. Spacious room and hotel staff courteous and very helpful. Our reservation included breakfast and dinner. Our dinners were two of the best we had in France. Also, Bayeux is a charming place to visit. We were there for an Invasion Tour, but enjoyed the town as well. ( October 06)

2 Thank aikenfan