“Convenient location/faded charm”
Review of Le Lion d'Or

Le Lion d'Or
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed February 16, 2012

One of the few centrally-located Bayeux hotels open during late January. I got a great rate of 128E for double room and half-pension. The breakfast selection was fantastic. Dinner in the restaurant was "correct" as the French say, nothing more. Rooms are definitely shopworn. My father and I stayed in rooms 3 and 4 on 1st floor (Eisenhower stayed in room 8). The short flight of stairs was manageable for my elderly dad. We were there during record cold - the rooms never were really warm and staff never lit the fireplace in the bar, which would have been welcome. The location is fantastic, we walked everywhere. I wanted to avoid paying for parking, but didn't see any free parking close to the hotel. Staff ranged from extremely friendly and helpful to slightly diffident.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Bayeux is a peaceful town (in the off-season even during a holiday weekend) but accustomed enough to tourists to offer a good variety of shops and restaurants. Many of these are within a short walk if you make a right turn out of Le Lion d'Or's courtyard. The town's other attractions are a little farther but the walks are reasonably short and pleasant. Those with little luggage could manage the walk from the train station, but most travellers will prefer the 7 euro cab ride. The courtyard isolates the hotel from the road noise (which is limited in any case) and we heard no sounds from other guests.

Our room was very clean and well-appointed. It was a bit small by U.S. standards but in line with our expectations.

The hotel staff was a little overwhelmed but pleasant and helpful. The breakfast buffet offered a selection that should satisfy most North American, British, and Continental tastes.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JoeWM
Reviewed November 17, 2011

My daughter and I spent the night at the Hotel while visiting Normandy. Hey, I read it was Eisenhower's favorite hotel (not sure which Eisenhower, probably Ike, maybe his son?)
The rooms are quaint. The bed was comfortable. The climb to the room invigorating (no elevator). Breakfast was in a nice room; but, not really worth the 13€ in my opinion. Others have complained about the "hand held" shower. Our shower in room 36 could be hand held but had a bracket that it slipped into that held it at the proper angel, really no different from what I have at home so maybe they've updated that since the complaints. I appreciated having the tub.
The staff was helpful, pleasant, and professional.
There is a minibar in the room.
The free Wifi was unreliable on the top floor but seemed consistent on the second floor.
Parking in the courtyard was assigned and handy although maneuvering in the courtyard was tight.
The night we were there they had a big group dining and the gaiety of one woman who was VERY loud in the courtyard carried to our top floor room.
The Hotel is on the main street; therefore, the Cathedral and museums are easily reached by walking from the hotel. There were many restaurants nearby - unfortunately we were there 11/11/11 and it seems France closed for Armistice Day. We did find and excellent place just up the street (Le Drakkar - get the Pork cooked in cider although the chicken breast with the mushroom cream sauce was nice too).
It was fun looking through the old scrapbooks of the hotel.
I enjoyed getting to stay in a place that had been there when the American Army was there. I recommend Lion d'Or.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Antimagellan
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed on our first trip to France, and were blown away by the prettiness of the hotel. Also ate at the restaurant, well worth it. Our room looked over the roof tops of the the local area, and was a picture in its self. THe staff were most accommodating, looking after requests without fuss or trouble. A genuinely nice place to stay

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank looseheadSydney
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two night with my two teenage children and my parents. The hotel was very accommodating and friendly. I requested a room on the first floor for my parents which was great and the stairs were no problem for them. My children and I were on the top floor in a spacious triple with a lovely sized bathroom. The decor was charming and French. There is a cosy bar area downstairs which is great for a drink and complimentary nibbles before dinner. In terms of location it is really super for Bayeux and we were able to walk to all the main sites.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, request a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Vered1
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Had a fantastic stay at this hotel, its location is perfect for walking in to the town centre and visiting the tapestry.
Car park is a little tight but a godsend.
The food was excellent in the restaurant and the staff could not have been more helpful we were celebrating a birthday and they brought out the desert with candles without us asking.
Had a fantastic time will go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Popside007
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Perhaps other rooms are better in this hotel than this one. We didn't mind the stairs, but we were definitely put off by the nursing home smell in the lobby. Not to mention the worn carpet, the communal bedspreads, the mold in the tub, the peeling paint, and the lack of Internet access in the room. When we opened the door to the room we were greeted by a swarm of flies even though the windows were closed. I travel often in Europe and am accustomed to the European custom of no screens, but have never been bothered by bugs in any other hotel.

We opted out of the cramped parking we had requested, and were given the following answer
when we inquired about parking elsewhere: "I have no idea about that. I never park on the street".

We had a wonderful dinner at La Rapiere a short walk away and down an alleyway. Expensive but worth every euro. (Rick Steve's got this one right although he steered us to a non-existant restaurant in Montmartre).

Room Tip: Don' t count on Internet access in the rooms. We weren
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends