“Bertrand Saudrais -- best tour guide ever, hands down.”

Executive D-Day Private Tours
Ranked #6 of 37 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Bertrand is an independant tour guide who offers private tours on the sites of the Normandy D-Day Landing Areas.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
McLean, Virginia
“Bertrand Saudrais -- best tour guide ever, hands down.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Bertrand's guided tour was the highlight of the trip to France for us. I have been interested in the European front of WWII, especially D-Day, since I was a kid, so getting to walk the beaches and roads was an incredible experience for me. Without Bertrand, I am sure I would have tried to do too much and accomplished too little. Based on a handful of questions via email prior to our trip, Bertrand created the perfect tour for me. It was a perfect blend of history lesson (from the strategic "big picture” down to the bullet marks in the fences and walls), individual soldiers' stories, and just being in a space letting the enormity of it all wash over you. He also had planned the perfect number of sites for a full day, but was very attuned to when we wanted to linger and investigate a particular spot more closely. I can see Bertrand as a university professor of history (although the world would then be down one excellent tour guide). As an aside, he made several great recommendations for other sites once we left Normandy, although none came close to comparing to our day at the Normandy beaches.

Visited March 2013

Arlington, VA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A Fabulous Day”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I had such a wonderful, memorable day with Bertrand Saudrais as our guide. We started out at St. Mere Eglise, proceeded to Utah Beach, then to Pointe du Hoc, and finished up the day at Omaha Beach. Mike and I then followed his recommendations and did Arromanches, the American Cemetery, and Longues Sur Mere on our own. The entire experience was absolutely perfect! Bertrand is responsive, articulate, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I recommend him wholeheartedly!

Visited April 2013
“Sites and content were the best”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Bertrand knows the area but even more important knows the history in detail but provides it in an understandable and enjoyable way. Highly recommend using Bertrand.

Visited May 2013
connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Outstanding tour and even a better guide”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had an amazing day with Bertrand. We came to Normandy to follow in the footsteps of our fathers both WWII veterans. Bertrand brought the whole day to life. My husband and I thought we had a pretty good understanding of what D-day was all about but not until traveling around Normandy did we really realize the magnitude of the day and that was because of Bertrand.He picked us up at the hotel in Bayeux and customized the whole day according to our wishes. He is extremely knowledgeable and his attention too detail is unmatched. His advice to watch the movie the Longest Day was especially helpful. Finishing the day at the American Cemetery at Omaha beach during taps was extremely meaningful. If you want to tour Normandy and have a tour of a lifetime you need to book Bertrand.

Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Bertrand was an awesome guide for Normandy!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Bertrand was a spectacular guide for our tour to Normandy. He is extremely knowledgeable about the history and the countryside, pointing out specific details and even bringing old photographs to bring the history to life. Since we had booked a private tour, Bertrand was flexible with our schedule, even stopping at a lovely bakery so we could get wine and snacks for our train ride back to Paris. I highly recommend Bertrand Saudrais for a personalized tour of Normandy.