“An Excellent, One-Day In-Depth Tour of the D-Day Beaches and Sites”

Executive D-Day Private Tours
Ranked #6 of 37 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Bertrand is an independant tour guide who offers private tours on the sites of the Normandy D-Day Landing Areas.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“An Excellent, One-Day In-Depth Tour of the D-Day Beaches and Sites”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Quite simply, we had an excellent full-day tour of the D-Day beaches and sites professionally guided by Bertrand Saudrais. There are many ways to tour the D-Day beaches, but we were referred to Bertrand by a fellow tour guide. Bertrand is well read and his study of D-Day and all its fascinating history is evident. Well before we began our trip, we received excellent communications and details from Bertrand, including what we might read and movies we might see to prepare us for our visit. Bertrand also confirmed our tour a week or two before we visited. The day of our visit was quite rainy, and Bertrand was accommodating of the pace we needed to maintain for my elderly parents. Bertrand met us at our hotel and drove our rented SUV as he knows all the local roads, lanes, and approaches to the beaches. Bertrand's English is excellent, having lived in the U.S. for some time. He was an enthusiastic, positive, interesting tour guide throughout our day. You will do well to tour with Bertrand!

1 Thank jkmcculla

Bolivia, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Normandy D-Day Tour with Bertrand”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The full day tour was awesome. Bertrand came prepared with info, photos and maps. He knew all the places to stop, his information was well documented and his presentation was right on. The tour included information of the tanks and their added structures at the museum in Bayeux. We also visited Sainte-Mere-Englise, the 82nd Airborne Museum, the German cemetery, the Beaches of Omaha and Utah and Pointe du Hoc. Bertrand does have a quick step but not too quick for these two 60+yr olds. We thoroughly enjoyed the full day and the pictures in our minds of who, what, when, and where will last a life time. We also took Bertrand's advise for the next day with a visit to Mont-St-Michel...another fabulous sight. If there could be another visit, we would enjoy a trip to the Eastern Beaches and learn even more. It was a fabulous adventure and amazing to honor all those who sacrificed their lives for FREEDOM.

2 Thank Bolivia-D-S
Margate City, New Jersey, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Absolutely wonderful tour of the D-Day invasions (our 9 y.o. daughter even enjoyed it!!)”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Bertrand was recommended to us as a private guide for a one-day tour of the Normandy invasion area. I am certainly glad that we took that reommendation, as he was excellent. I highly recommend anyone that is planning on visiting Normandy to hire a guide, and I put in my two cents for Bertrand. You will not be disappointed. We had our nine-year-old daughter with us, and he was definitely able to accommodate her in the explanations of what we were seeing.

I was worried about a guide having a French accent while speaking to non-French speaking Americans, and I was greatly relieved when I first heard Bertrand speak. He is an excellent English speaker, and is married to an American, so he gets a lot of practice. I know from a friend that did a similar tour years ago that their guide was also excellent, but his accent was a bit hard to understand some of the time. You will not have the problem with Bertrand.

Bertrand met us at our hotel in Bayeux, and then chauferred us in our rental car to the different sites. I wanted to see St. Come du Mont, St. Mere' Eglese, as well as the major beaches and American Cemetery. Bertrand showed us all of that and more.

In St. Mere Eglese, you get to walk around the church square that you may remember from the movie "The Longest Day". Bertrand explains everything very clearly, answers all of your questions, and will take pictures for you. He can show you where there is still damage from bullets and mortars on local buildings, and the gouges in the iron bars of a fence along the edge of the square. He then suggested that we take about an hour to visit the Airborne Museum in town, which was definitely a great call.

On the way from St. Mere' Eglese to Utah Beach, Bertrand pointed out different spots where the Airborne men fought small skirmishes, where the first Allied air base was located, and how to this day people are using the wire mesh from the airfield as fences, gates, etc.

Throughout the day, we visited the different battle areas, and at each stop Bertrand showed us copies of maps, as well as pictures from the spot where we were standing that were taken during the battle. He was very well prepared for all of our questions, and the information in his binder that he shared with us as we were driving from place to place was really fantastic.

At the end of the day we visited the American Cemetery. Bertrand had a special surprise for us there, and I while I won't give it away, if you time it right, you will know what I am referring to. It will be something that my wife, daughter, and I will never forget, and we are very thankful for Bertrand for the experience.

While you could do a tour of the battlefields on your own, you will miss a lot. I thought that I knew more than I did about the invasion, and Bertrand made me realize through his expertise that even though I have read dozens of books on the battles, you really can't get a full sense of the effort that the invasion was until you see it for your own eyes.

Do yourself a favor, and visit Normandy. While there, do yourself an even bigger favor and hire Bertrand as a guide. You will not be let down.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Joe D
Saint Louis, Missouri
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Passion meets History rue du Bertrand”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

With an eye on getting an understanding of "Normandy" and the historical significance it has my wife and I hooked up with Bertrand for an amazing day of touring. First, there is NO WAY you can get much done in one-half day. Take the full day (9-6) and Bertrand will run you hard with history, unique perspectives and side streets. Now, this is a real business as you can see from all the guides and we only used Bertrand. Yet, you can tell his background and education is a win-win for a tour.
He is very respectful to the importance of the area to Americans while giving one the total significance as it related to the French, British. Some wonderful historical notes that I did not get from my Jesuit education:-)
I would NOT put much time in touring museums while with him but go back to those the next day as they fit a schedule and liking.
Bertrand is very flexible and mindful to what you want to see and do. And VERY passionate about making sure you really understand what went on and where.
If you have a car let him drive that. Saves a Euro or two and he is very careful and mindful.

Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely a Fantastic D-Day Tour!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We did a lot of research to determine best approach and best guide for our D-Day tour and we chose wisely. Bertrand is extremely knowledgeable and passionate concerning all details of the "longest day". We covered a significant amount in 1 day including; the German and American cemeteries, Utah and Omaha beach, St. Mere Eglise, Point Du Hoc and numerous points of interest in between. Even got to see Capt. Winter's monument. Bertrand is a great historian and we strongly recommend him.

Karen and Tony, Tampa Fl.

Visited September 2012