“Bertrand Saudrais- outstanding D-Day guide” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Executive D-Day Private Tours

Executive D-Day Private Tours
Ranked #6 of 36 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Bertrand is an independant tour guide who offers private tours on the sites of the Normandy D-Day Landing Areas.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Tualatin, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Bertrand Saudrais- outstanding D-Day guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We came to France for the primary purpose of remembering the people that helped to save the world and paid the ultimate price to deliver us from evil. Bertrand optimized our time and heightened our experience. Of our eight days in France this was without a doubt the best day of the trip. Bertrand's openness to craft the day according to our desires facilitated a day in which every activity had special meaning for us. His expertise, insights and perspectives were delivered in an engaging and sensitive manner. We made a point to schedule a private full-day tour with Bertrand and though not inexpensive, it was money incredibly well-spent. If you're going to Normandy, I highly recommend scheduling Bertrand for a private tour just after you complete your air and hotel reservations- you won't be disappointed.

Charlotte, NC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“There Is No One Better for D-Day Tours Than Bertrand Saudrais!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I read all the TA reviews of private D-Day tour guides and chose Bertrand because no one had better reviews than his. And we were THRILLED. He is AMAZING, even better than his uniformly excellent 5-star reviews, if that's possible. I'm sure there are tour guides as good as Bertrand, but it wouldn't be possible for anyone to be better. He is personable, outgoing, and warm, quickly making everyone in our small group feel comfortable asking questions and delving into some of the stickier and very interesting issues behind the standard responses of packaged D-Day tours. The breadth and depth of his knowledge and the amount of thought that he gives to his responses is riveting, and he was able to effortlessly hold the attention of each of us -- for EIGHT hours!! -- even though we were four people with four very different levels of WWII knowledge and interest. My brother-in-law is a WWII expert, and me, not so much... I was in France for the museums, the chateaux, and the wine, but after a day spent with Bertrand and all that I learned from him, I am reading everything I can get my hands on about the war, from it's build-up to it's conclusion. He is a real teacher, a genuine motivator, and an incredibly lovely guy to spend the day (or a half-day) with. From my first contact with Bertrand by email, to our meeting at 9 am at the museum in Bayeux, to our delicious picnic lunch (he took us to the best place in St. Mere Eglise to purchase) eaten in a bunker on the beach, through our many stops and discussions along the way -- supplemented by a well-chosen and helpful collection of photos, to our final goodbye that evening, he was fantastic. His English is perfect, his perspectives are broad, his personality is gentle and kind, and he makes it easy to spend a long and emotional day. I promise you, I am not over-stating my case here. I depend on TA reviews for honest help with all the trips we take, and I am always thrilled to be able to give back, so I am always equally honest and open in my reviews Please feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions you'd like me to answer, but be quick and book Bertrand at Executive D-Day Tours. You'll be sorry if he's not available on your day!

2 Thank banksidedrive
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Bertrand Saudrias Executive D-Day Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The day spent with Bertrand on the Normandy Invasion beaches was an informative, inspirational and emotional experience. Bertrand's is a true historian and his information and knowledge made us appreciate even more the sacrifice that was made from people all countries involved what happened during this event. We walked the landing beaches, the cemetaries from all countries, the beach fortifications and museums with the right blend of information from both the Allies and Germans perspective. His English is clear and to the point. Highly Highly recommend Bertrand he will significantly add to your experience.

Harrogate, UK
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Superb D-Day tour with Bertrand Saudrais”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

We planned our Normandy vacation around this wonderful tour. We went on a full day tour of the D-Day sites with Bertrand and we could have had more, there is so much to see and learn. We have taken other private tours before in both Prague and The Vatican and know this is a wonderful way to get insights into an area and tidbits that can't be picked up on one's own. We were not disappointed with Bertrand. He has had a fascination with military history since he was young and this passion comes through. It is helpful that he shares not only the perspectives of the Allies during WWII, but also the Germans and others involved and affected during this period of time. We particularly appreciated the pictures taken during WWII that Bertrand brought along to show exactly how events unfolded at the exact sites on which we were standing. We even ate our lunch atop a bunker on Utah Beach. He is extremely knowledgeable and as a result you can develop a real sense and feel for the history of this area.
We had a fantastic time and his tour was the highlight of our visit to Normandy. From the start he was easy to contact and gave us advice what to do on our other days in Normandy. We highly recommend Bertrand Saudrais and Executive D-Day Tours. You will not be disappointed.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“Bertrand's Guided Tour of American Sectors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Having studied Overlord and visited Normandy on my own two years earlier, I can honestly say that Bertrand provided an outstanding one day tour of the American sector. He is exceptionally knowledgeable. His most effective teaching technique is to take you to a fairly obscure location --certainly one that you would not find on your own -- and explain what happened there and then reinforce his analysis with photos of that same location from that same perspective in 1944. I am sure he would do the same at the other beaches, as well as move to more inland locations. He is most highly recommended.