“Very good, I would give 4.5 if I could!”
Review of Il Bellagio - CLOSED

Il Bellagio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This restaurant was great! We wandered in one evening for dinner and were seated right away. Our servers were very nice and friendly. We split 2 pizzas between 3 of us and it was plenty! Their pizza seemed to be the most popular choice. The one with sausage, onions and peppers was delicious!!! They also carry cidre rose by the bottle which is my favorite :) For dessert we had the apple tart which was absolutely delicious!! I was very impressed by the restaurant and the decor was very charming as well. The only thing that bothered me a little was that they charged 4 euros extra for me to share my husband's pizza. However, this would not keep me from going back, which I definitely will if I am ever in Bayeux again!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

After several days of seafood and local fare, our group of seven felt like Italian and opted for this well located and busy restaurant in the main street area of Bayeux early on a busy Friday evening. It's only 3-5 minutes walk on flat streets from the Cathedral.
There was a local music festival being held in the main street and the town was very busy with a good atmosphere and warm and sunny weather. It would have been good to sit outside but the outside tables were obscured by a fog of smoke from other diners.
The service was very efficient and friendly with some English speaking staff. The wait for food was a little long but given how busy the restaurant was this wasn't unexpected and didn't inconvenience us. The menu options were very good with a wide pizza selection but, puzzlingly, very little pasta. The creme brulee desert was excellent.
Despite how busy the restaurant was, and the number of people waiting for a table, we were not hurried through the meal and didn't feel pressured to give up the table as soon as we had finished eating.
It was a little expensive given the non-specialist food options but this may be influenced by the central location and high-tourist footfall in the area.
Overall a nice meal, just wish that there were more pasta options.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We tried 3 different options of entrees from the "menu": steamed mussels, steak, and pork. All were great!
Service was great: timely and friendly.
A decent walking distance from the cathedral, but worth it.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

While staying in Bayeux, we were in search of a simple meal at a casual restaurant. We wandered into IL Bellagio, on Rue St. Jean. It looked like it fit our needs for the evening being it is a smallish, well decorated bistro type restaurant.
We were greeted by a waitress who seated us immediately and all seemed well. My husband ordered a beer and we ordered a carafe of wine. The place was not crowded as it was rather early for dinner by European standards.
Chubby blonde waitress brought our drinks, but when we ordered our meal everything seemed to change. We were not very hungry, so we decided to split a pizza. Realizing there is a 4 euro surcharge for split dishes, which I don't believe is fair when it comes to a pizza, we were not deterred. Judging by the look she gave us, you'd thought we ordered one pizza for twelve people. Her whole demeanor changed and she became rude and ignored us. We were at a loss to explain it, other than the fact that she wasn't happy with us splitting a pizza. The attitude continued and when I asked for a cup of hot water (I frequently bring my own tea to drink after a meal) she looked at me, and walked away without a word. At this point, I didn't know if I was getting the water or not, but she did deliver it, again without a word...just set it down and walked away. I was afraid to ask for a spoon, so I stirred the sugar substitute that I BROUGHT myself, again, because I was too afraid to ask for sugar, with my fork.
When it came time to pay, my husband laid our credit card on the table, and the next time she passed the table, she told him he would have to bring the bill up himself to the back part of the restaurant. Even the table of 4 Americans seated near us asked us what we did to deserve such treatment. It was truly embarrassing. We sat there stunned, long enough that she finally came back and took it herself explaining she was too busy to walk it back earlier. Although she had no problem bringing other customers bills to the back. (???) I also noticed she charged us 2 euro for the hot water!!! Never been billed for hot water before!
As a Tripadvisor top contributor, you can see, I have traveled many places and rated many restaurants, and I can honestly say, I have never been treated so poorly any where, any time. Based on the service, they do not deserve to display the Tripadvisor sign on their door. The poor service alone completely negates the quality of the food.
Oh...one more thing, the pizza was good, so to be fair I gave it three stars, but if I were rating the service alone, it wouldn't even get one star.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited this little gem of a restaurant on an overnight visit to Bayeux. We were recommended it by a local and we were not disappointed. We both ordered the super entrecôte steak and it was cooked to perfection. The wine was good too and it extortionately priced either. The waitress was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for her to make our visit a very enjoyable eating experience. Would definitely go there again. It is the second must do in Bayeux for sure..!