“Only Book For An Overnight Stay”

Premiere Classe Bayeux
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The location and price convinced me to book the hotel on-line months before arriving in October 2012 with my Dad and brother. I can only base this review on 3 people sharing a room. I was aware the rooms were small, and the price obviously reflects this, but I genuinely didn't expect it to be that small!
We all laughed when we first entered the room until the seriousness of the situation hit us as we had booked 4 nights! The room is FAR too small for three people. The only way 3 beds can fit in the room is to put one over the other two and the bathroom is extremely cramped. Definitely not for the claustrophobic. We ended up booking the adjoining room as well so my 79 year old Dad could have a bit more space, but this ended up more than doubling the price originally paid.
The immediate area is just outside the centre of Bayeux which is a short stroll away and, as we had the car, this was perfect for reaching and leaving the hotel to different areas of Normandy with ease. The hotel car park was of ample size.
It was pot luck whether the bed was made. On returning after a day out my brother's bed was made, only the top cover of my Dad's bed was pulled over and mine was completely ignored. Also a Bounty bar I bought from the vending machine miraculously disappeared!
We didn't try the breakfast and the staff were only available at certain times of the day. If booking, please remember you have to check in before 13:00 or after 17:00 as the reception is not staffed between those times.
Overall, I would only recommend this hotel for a one night stopover only. Any more than that look elsewhere. The room is just about ok for 2 people but 3 is pushing it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul G

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We just completed a 3 night stay at this hotel in Bayeux. Because of the previous reviews posted on Trip Advisor I knew not to expect a large room and was really worried about the bathroom. But overall I was very pleased to find out that the room was just like a cruise ship cabin and so was the bathroom. Definitely not the kind of room you want to luxuriate in for a long time, but the room was clean, linens fresh, staff friendly and the location excellent for touring as they provide complimentary parking in their lot. Very easy to get out of with the rental car, and the center of town is only about a 10 minute walk and is filled with shops and restaurants. Couple of tips - there is no coffee maker in the room; they have a coffee machine in the lobby for a shot of coffee for one euro or you can buy their breakfast for 4.90 euros per person. Since we were going to be out all day we just bought a quick shot to get us going. Also the hotel does not provide a hair dryer or wash cloths so you may want to bring your own and a European 2 prong adapter. Although not the honeymoon suite it was clean and fit our needs this trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYretirednlovinit
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights in this hotel around our two full day tours on the Normandy Battlefields. The room was incredibly small, with no floor or closet space, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable enough. The hotel is not staffed much of the day which seemed a little odd. They have a very modest continental breakfast buffet which worked out well the days of our tours. It is close enough to the heart of Bayeux to walk there easily.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom82752
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was a good call for a quick sleep over on a normandy trip. The room is very basic but clean! Also the breakfast is good and in buffet style but not a lot of choice. I would certainly choose again for premiere classe for a one night stay.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I must confess I stayed at the Premiere quite some time ago ( it was actually June 2009!) in a family party of four. I didn't expect to see it on here, as it was a motel chain but I thought I would share my experiences.

Having driven down from Calais- a rather long drive- we got to the hotel about 7 o'clock in the evening and I booked in using my lilting French. We paid £50 per night for a room including a buffet breakfast- this was to be a 3 day stay. I thought this was good value.

The receptionist didn't speak any English, which came as no surprise, but we got our card and checked in swiftly with a minimum of fuss. The room itself was quite small and comprised of a large double bed and two smaller single cabin beds for the two children in the party. Of some concern, I found the fire door which opened straight onto the car park, three floors down, unlocked and potentially easily opened by small hands! This was rectified by sticking a car key in it to engage the lock, however.

There was a kettle, TV and a generous shower cubicle, though this left the toilet area quite small. It was relatively new and clean, with firm beds and crisp sheets. We did try to go to the restaurant over the road but were rather rudely ushered out and were told they were closing, though none of the diners looked in a hurry to go anywhere- I must point out this was not a Premiere run diner, rather another well known chain...

With small children to feed I ended up driving into Bayeux on a Sunday to find little open and I ended up buying a few cans of pop and a large pizza/chips for the best part of £12! This being my first trip abroad since 1993, the advent of the Euro passed me by- the nostalgia of my cheap childhood outings to France were somewhat rudely shattered.

Morning came and breakfast proved to be rather good- cereals, yoghurts, toasts, juices, tea/coffee, although there was something of a queue to get seat on one day of our stay. If you were sneaky, then you could also sneak stuff out to keep the kids quiet in the car and supplement your Leclerc bought lunches!

Overall I was quite impressed- the room was a little on the small side, but otherwise it was clean, cheap, quiet and the buffet breakfast was a bonus.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one away from the car park to the front of the building,
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank AndyYorks77
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Check in is way too late at 1700, wouldnt let us check in early. Luckily it isnt too far from town. When we did return of course alot of people checking in at same time. Went up to room and it reeked of smoke, non-smoking room, beds looked slept in. Receptionist did give us a better room one floor down. Room was clean there, bathroom is like an airplane, with shower all in one with toilet. Did not eat food there after room experience. Would not stay here again. Sounds like this hotel chain isnt very well run. See the Bayeux tapestry, enjoy the cute little town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2012

After having stayed at another Premiere Classe on the way to Bayeux, and not having been so impressed, I was surprised at the standard of this low budget hotel. We could not check in until 17:00 because the reception was not open until then, and when it did open, there was a mad rush. We had to wait about 20 minutes to be served. However, when we finally got to our rooms, we were pretty happy. They were clean, sweet smelling and had a good view. The bathroom (probably like all Premiere Classe hotels) resembled that in a camper van. But it had a washbasin, loo and shower, and suited its purpose. I accidently put the shower on when wanting to flush the toilet, and got soaked. Easy mistake. Breakfast (4.90 Euro) was very simple, but absolutely fine. It was a bit full at 9.30 on Sunday, so probably a time to avoid.
The hotel is located within walking distance (10 to 15 minutes) from shops and restaurants, as well as the cathedral, which was perfect for us. A word of warning, though, if eating in Bayeux in the evening. The Taverne des Ducs threatened to spoil our entire holiday, and should be AVOIDED at all cost. The food was awful, but the service and attitude of the waiter and manager were the worst we have ever experienced. Another word regarding things to avoid in Bayeux: watch out for the dog poo!

Room Tip: If it is clear that you are travelling as a family, you may be given adjoining rooms. Although our s...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayeux
Campanile De Bayeux
#6 of 21 in Bayeux
Hotel Mogador
Hotel Mogador
#10 of 21 in Bayeux

Been to Premiere Classe Bayeux? Share your experiences!