“Overlord Tour Excellence”
Review of OverlordTour

OverlordTour
Ranked #2 of 40 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Based in Normandy,our tour agency invite you to discover the most poignant locations of the 1944 Normandy Landing,including the key landing beaches, war museums, and battlefields. Recommended by Veterans.
Reviewed January 23, 2014

On our tour last June (2013), we had as our guide, Stephen, for the Overlord Normandy day tour. We went to both Utah and Omaha beaches. He was not only incredibly knowledgeable about history, but he had also served in the military and brought that insight into his stories. We were warned...doing this in one day is exhausting! At times we felt rushed, but it was a trip we will never forget. Stephen was able to answer all of our questions and the true stories he shared made us feel we were a part of everything we experienced. A suggestion would be to get tickets EARLY! We got the last seats of D-Day week and almost lost our chance to visit this memorable site. From the reservations to the tour completion, Overlord handled everything professionally. Thank you to Overlord and Stephen for bringing history alive.

1  Thank Chicagobluesgirl

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I went back-and-forth on making the 3 hour train journey from Paris to Normandy considering the trip to Paris was only a week. Would we have enough time? Would it be worth it? Is the tour group reputable/for real? Having accomplished this trip, and taken the tour — we did have the time, it was worth it, and Overlord was first class and our tour guide Stephane was AMAZING!!!

I suspected that a history buff like me, and my 12-year-old son — also having a love of history —would enjoy the trip, but Overlord went ABOVE & BEYOND and the trip exceeded all expectations.

We took the SNCF train from Paris St. Lazare to Bayeux. Its a long ride that begins super early in the morning, but you can sleep on the train. The train is plenty comfy and as long as you have your tickets in advance, your are good-to-go. Stephane was at Bayeux to greet us when we got off the train, and made sure we were all in attendance before he began the trip. The tour bus is very comfortable, and has packets in the seat backs with photos for the trip. (There were about 15-20 of us on board. Along the route, Stephane was constantly explaining every detail. And learning of these little nuggets of information just made the trip that much more fascinating, and informative. He took the time to stop at every key spot, and allowed us to take our photos. Stephane was deeply knowledgeable of the battle sites, and helpful with answering questions and explaining all of the rich history of the area leading up and during the battle. Having told Stephane that I was a fan of "Band of Brothers," he took a moment to show us the site for the battle of Brecourt Manor as we drove by, and pointed out Carentan as we drove on the highway. Seeing the places we have learned so much about really brought the experience home.

Be prepared for a long day of "time travel." That was how it felt. The trip is so much more than just the battle sites of Omaha and Utah Beaches, Pont Du Hac and the US Cemetery. Seeing the villages and towns, and seeing how it is really unchanged after all this time is quite amazing. You get a real feel for where the boys were landing on the beaches from the sea, as well as the PIR boys from the air. The day will begin at 6AM and you won't be back in Paris until about 8pm or so if you catch the 6:30 train out of Bayeux.

There is a bathroom break at the US cemetery, Utah beach and when we stop for lunch. Lunch is simple but comfortable at St. Mer Eglise on the trip we did. I believe there was wheelchair access on the tour bus, but can't be sure as we did not have anyone in the group who needed the access.

I can't recommend Overlord Tours enough. From Christele in the office when I booked the trip helping me set up everything and giving me an understanding of what to expect to Stephane — this was the highlight of our trip to Paris and France. This should be something on EVERYONE'S bucket list. Make this part of your Paris and France experience!

2  Thank Andre G
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Booked this tour after exhausting review of TA recommendations. I brought my Dad to Normandy so that he could visit Utah Beach where his Dad, my Grandpa, landed during the invasion. The tour with Olivier was more than I could have hoped for. So much information, it was fantastic. Our group showed interest in the Band of Brothers sites, so he took us to a few of those in addition to the regularly scheduled tour.

Don't think, just book!

2  Thank ErinReisa
Reviewed January 8, 2014

If you are in France and interested in History, this is a must. We booked a full day exclusive tour and loved it. We always refer to Tripadvisor for travel choices and the reviews for Overlord were accurate and helpful. Our tour guide Brigitte was great. She picked us up at our hotel in Bayeux and dropped us back at the end of the day. She was very knowledgeable and passionate about the history and stories she shared with us. We had such an emotional journey standing in the places our heroes fought for freedom. We had to watch Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan all over again to see where we stood and had a greater appreciation for all that was lost and won.
Thank you Brigitte!
S&G
From Canada

1  Thank Solley100b
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Took a private tour with them back in July with some family members, wanted to do the private so we could go more at our pace and combine a couple things from the various tours, specifically more time in the Utah sector and surrounding area due to it being where our grandfather landed. Our tour guide Sean was friendly and very informative, he didn't rush anything and answered all the questions we had. I would recommend a tour with Sean to anyone out there.

1  Thank roachpapa13