“Fantastic”

Le Pommier Restaurant
Reserve with
Le Pommier Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 100 Restaurants in Bayeux
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The owners Isabelle and Thierry Lhuillery are strongly attached to the region, which displays lot's of famous specialities. Their cooking is both original and typical. The owners know pretty well the local producers, with whom they have been working for many years. When the ingredients are cooked, it is always in the respect of their original flavour, only spices and fresh herbs are added in order to make the best come out of them. Enjoy eating fresh sea food straight from the coast; try our daily raw marinated fish course, or a slice of duck foie gras flavoured with apple fragrances. Don't miss our Normandy beef and duck breast, or our delicate fish dressed with a light cream dressing. Do not also go by, without tasting our local cheeses such as : Camembert, Pont L’Eveque, Livarot or Neufchatel. And finally to put a pleasant end to this perfect meal try a chaudfroid apple dessert... It will be our pleasure to help you choosing in our wine and cider list the most appropriate beverage.
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I ate here twice while in Bayeux on business recently. It was so good on our first visit that we booked it for our last night in the town too.

The menu is large and has a wide variety of options. On the first night I ate there I had sea bass is a ginger caramel -delicious! On the second night I had magret de canard - cooked to perfection! The desserts are also excellent.

My colleague toroughly enjoyed her meals too.

The service was always attentive but discreet and although we spoke French to the staff, they seemed to be happy dealing with tables of customers who spoke to them in English too.

I would recommend booking a table in advance. On our first visit we walked in without a reservation, but latr in the evening the owner/manager was turning people away.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

Le Pommier is right around the corner from the cathedral. My wife had a white fish and lobster dish that she says was 'the best thing she ever ate.' I had white fish as well that was excellent. For dessert we had crepes with a citrus sauce and coffee - also excellent. The waiter spoke English and was very helpful in selecting a dinner wine. Great restaurant for a romantic dinner.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

We went as a family - four adults, a two year old and a baby - and often as not we found that we might not be too welcme, as the baby was tired and hungry, and the two year old wide-eyed with excitement.
We were welcomed extremely well and provided with a comfortable area for us all, and the children were welcomed just as much. The food was of a higher standard than we had expected, with the Formule végétarienne suprising us all - NOT by any means the usual vegetarian fare we had seen so often - very inventive - and filling.
I can understand the frustration some diners may feel with the relaxed service, but we found the pace exactly right for a relaxed family meal - in France.
Yes - the fois gras four ways IS something very special (fois gras ice cream?!) but it works splendidly.

Reviewed July 23, 2009

I have recently revisited Le Pommier and again found the meal from the tourist menu excellent in quality and value. It is sited very near the entrance to the cathedral and in the other direction the main shopping street. I had lunch there but could not understand a previous reviewer's annoyance of a slow meal in the evening.......that is exactly what a good meal in France is all about......as a quote from the film 'a good year' (excellent film with russel crowe)....if you want fast food go to Mc D as they call it in France.

Reviewed June 22, 2009

We had dinner at this restaurant based on Rudy Maxa and other reviews. We arrived early, shortly after 7p.m. The restaurant was beautifully decorated and the menu had many offerings.
The dinner was delicious, but we had to wait 30 minutes between courses. Even though we were among the first to arrive, we were almost the last to leave. We didn't leave until almost 10 p.m. I only ordered one glass of wine. My husband did not order any. Perhaps, that was the reason we were not served more quickly. (Or could it be that we were the only Americans in the room). I try not to criticize the French for having an attitude with Americans. After all, it is their country. But, after this experience I'm not to sure. I would recommend this restaurant, provided you are not in a hurry.