“Something for everyone” 5 of 5 bubbles

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Something for everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Reading the latest Braderie reviews I was disappointed for the lady who went on a day's coach trip and found only commercial tat. While there certainly is an element of that in the Braderie weekend, I assume someone with limited time and knowledge of Lille would have spent most of her time in the town centre, where the "commercants" have their stalls. Wander a little further towards the Quai area, and you pass through streets of "vide grenier" families, selling a variety of genuine wares. Go a little further and you will find the "antiquaires", some expensive, some less so, selling vintage French domestic and decorative items. The Braderie is not for those with limited time - the crowds alone mean progress can be slow. I prefer to travel to Lille on the Friday, when the town is quiet and "normal", do a little window shopping on Friday evening as traders set up their stalls, make an early start on Saturday for the best bargains, and wind down with a cold Leffe as the crowds build up later in the day.

7 Thank kroothoep

London, UK
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“The most amazing street market”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

10,000 sellers, 100 kilometers of stalls.... stamina needed!But this annual event (taking place on the weekend of the first Sunday in September) is a bargain-hunter's paradise.
I go every year.
A amazing 'buzz' in this lovely city, a very crime-free huge crowd (in my experience, over many years).
Book early for a hotel stay if you want to go: 2 million people descend on little Lille for this particular weekend.

2 Thank Perpetuatraveller
london
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“okay for a visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We visited on Saturday 1st sept on a day trip by coach. Its's a very long journey for what was really just a boot sale. Lots of cheap stuff, clothing, shoes and other sort of junk you would find at a cheap market. Very few real antiques for sale and the prices were very high. Lots of reproductions posing as the real thing. A few real boot stalls with locals selling odds and ends but much better to be had at boot sales in England for half the price. The cafes and bars had cashed in and the prices were high.( 10€ for a small beer and a very small coffee) if you wanted the toilet you needed to go to a cafe and the toilets are only available if you buy a drink or food. I still waited 25mins to use the toilet by which time I really needed it . The woman in front of me drank her coffee whilst waiting. We went into a restuarant for a meal steak, frits & salad and chocolate fondant. My steak was good but very small and the frits were cold, my husbands steak was tough and stringy. The fondants were just chocolate cakes covered in chocolate sauce and very solid and heavy. We waited 30 mins before they even took our order and the whole experience was dissapointing. That said the whole town was buzzing. Lots of music and street food and its worth going for the experience. Bit of a carnival feel and very crowded. Glad I went but will not be going back. We will return to Lille another time for a weekend as the town looked very interesting and I would like to see how it is without all the madness. n Younger people would probably had enjoyed it more that us.

2 Thank farmgirlLondon
Paris, France
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Yesterday we decided to leave for the Braderie de Lilles. We went over to the Gare du Nord and in one hour we were there!! We left for the South end of the city where there are the professionals around the Park. If you want real antiques, this is the only place to go because the rest of the kilometers of stands varies from normal French market fare to varying quality of goods from people's attics. We were looking for Bronze statues and we found many, many to choose from. Much more than the Flea Market at the Pt de Clignancourt in Paris. After making some very beautiful purchases, we ate the traditional moules/frites (muscles and french fries) in a Thai restaurant and they were the best that I had ever eaten!! However - beware of the crowds and the best shopping time is before 3 pm. After that you cant move up and down any street in Lille - too many worthless stands cluttering the sidewalks and streets which prevents the shoppers from even stopping to look at the goods.

2 Thank wjsinfrance
Surrey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great find and great fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Having been at Uni in Lille, I know the town very well and I have been to a few Braderie in the past. It is still great fun but the commercial side has changed as we see more and more pro sellers than "car boot sale" people emptying their attics, which means prices are higher.
Still it's a great town, and walking along the canal while browsing at antiques is a must. You can still find great buys, I got 4 french flags dated from the WW2, still with the metal pointy french embossed RF at the top for €2...just arm yourself with a lot of patience and go for it!
What I love about it, is the party atmosphere in the streets, especially in the "Vieux Lille" quarter, students mixing mojitos in their flats above the market and selling them in the streets for €3 with great music blasting out of the windows, restaurants selling the famous Moules-Frites and making a mount outside with the shells as a competition with other restaurants, or the bands popping up in every corner and playing music until the early hours. Lille does not stop for 2 days; it's one of the best street party you will ever go to.
It's a great mixture of students, middle age and retired people, all walking the streets and enjoying the party.
This year was the 1st time they had to stop the Braderie because of the strong winds and torrential rain, so it closed at about 11pm on the Saturday night until the next morning, it wasn't great for the sellers and street parties, but the party mood was still very present in the main train station where we took cover and 100's of people started singing and dancing. Although we were soaked like never before (I litterally have never seen so much rain in so little time), it was an unforgettable moment.
Go, you won't regret it! but book your hotel long in advance as they get full quickly and very expensive indeed.

Visited September 2011