“My room is a torture chamber!”

L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 107 Hotels in Lille
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

It's hard to believe this is 5-star hotel. I travel to Europe frequently so I know how nice 5-star hotels can be here in Europe; my expectations were therefore pretty high. I was given Room #110 on the ground floor just steps from the lobby. I was running a tour group here and should have had the good sense to tell them as soon as I saw the room that it was going to be too noisy, but since I was here for work I decided not to. Bad mistake.

My first night here, last night, was awful. I was woken too many times to count by loud footsteps walking on the hard tiles outside my room, and by metal carts being wheeled at all hours of the night. I was told the next morning that they do a lot of set up in the middle of the night for events and thus the noise. With no regard to guests who are trying to sleep. I was told by the front reception this morning that I should call and complain. I'm
really not confident that would have helped, as how can you prevent people from walking down a hallway in high heels?

Pillows on the bed are dismal, hard and lumpy like in a cheap US hotel. there are no free plugs in the room for plugging in electronic devices so had to do without lights just to charge my stuff.

The towels in the bathroom were also of Motel 6 quality -- flat, old, scratchy. My last two 4 star hotels here in France during my stay had lovely big fluffy towels. And just one measly bar of soap for both sink and bath.

I am truly dreading tonight, as an in-house soccer team climbs up and down the stairs next to my head.

There are two chairs in the room that really serve no purpose and I only trip over them. And there's nowhere to put luggage if you have more than one piece.

I would leave if I could but can't due to my work, as my tour group is housed here. I only pray that their rooms are better than mine. I scouted the other floors and at least they are carpeted.

Beware if you book here which room you get. Better yet, skip it; it falls down in too many 5-star categories.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Madam,

Following your comment in TripAdvisor, we had the pleasure to meet you in order to understand better the different issues that you faced.
I understand that you were very satisfied by the answer and solutions offered by our staff.
As you could not delete the above comment , you decided to write a second post on the 11th of June in order to let know to everyone how professional our behavior has been.
I thank you very much for reconsidering your opinion and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

It was a short visit, be I wish I could have stayed longer. The building is a beautifully restored ancient ecclesiastic hospital, the rooms are all suites, one different from the other. Great service and very good value. Sad i could not taste breakfast, it looked very good.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear Antonio,

I am glad to read that you had a wonderful stay among us.
Too bad that it was a short visit but hopefully we will have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon.

It will be the ideal occasion to try our Breakfast settled in an historic room of the building.
For any future reservation, please check our website as all the best offers and prices are posted on a regular basis.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

There is no question that the style and ambiance of this hotel were absolutely beautiful from the glazed over courtyard that is now the very pretty, pale blue furnished bar, to the breakfast room and chapel to the bedrooms themselves which are very nicely decorated with a mixture of antiques and contemporary furniture. The building itself was converted in the 1990s from a medieval hospital.

The beds were comfortable, linen of good quality and I liked the Hermes products in the bathroom. Breakfast was excellent with delicious eggs and coffee.

However that is where the positives end and those positives come at a very hefty price. There is no value for money here.

I had three main beefs with our room, two I suspect were general to the hotel, the third specific to our room.

To begin with that: it was a large room with an entrance lobby to once side with a toilet off it (no basin) and a large bathroom the other side (bath with shower over and basin). This was a real pain, trooping backwards and forwards across the room to wash hands after using the toilet. there was room in the bathroom for one - there was also room for a separate shower cubicle. The design seemed daft and unnecessary even within the limitations of converting an historic building.

Of the other two the first was the Internet - the free version was so slow it was ridiculous and I really thought it was a con to get you to pay €22 to upgrade to the faster version. It irritates me greatly that the management should play games like this. If it is free, it is free and it works otherwise don't advertise it as free. I stayed in both 3 and 4 star hotels during this trip and this was the slowest WiFi encountered by a very long way. Possibly even worse was the lack of plug sockets - always my big bugbear. There was one hidden under the desk but it didn't work. I had to move a chest of drawers to find a plug behind it for the laptop and unplug the bedside light to charge the phone. Not good enough in a hotel of this quality.

Verdict. Style is wonderful, substance is lacking, staff not particularly engaging and prices exorbitant.

Room Tip: Ask about the layout of the bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Theodora M
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Madam,

We thank you for sharing your opinion with us and we feel sorry to learn that your stay among us did not entirely meet your expectations.
Rest assured that your comments have been well taken onboard.

Moreover, we would like to let you know that we normally do not receive any complaint regarding the configuration of our rooms as they are common to most of the 5* hotels.

Of course, we understand that everything is a matter of personal taste and should you have requested a room move during your stay we would have been glad to attend your request.
On a next occasion, we will be delighted to show you our different categories of rooms so you will be able to choose the one that suits you better.

Regarding the Wifi service in our hotel, I kindly inform to all our TripAdvisor’s reviewers that our hotel offers two connection options:

A Complimentary Service for a standard connection (allows you to check emails, news online..)
A Premium Service at 22€ for an extensive use of internet (allows you to watch movies online, make internet calls..)

Dear Madam, we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our property as we will be delighted to show you that we can be a great value within Lille’s hotels.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

The hotel is well placed with shops and wonderful Palais des beau arts around the corner. The hotel is an old historic building beautifully converted with an impressive public area on the ground floor. We were given a very small, but quiet room but its size got to us in the end and we asked to move to a larger room, and Christophe was very accommodating and found us a much better room. This is a special celebration and we wanted everything to be perfect, which he organised for us, not to mention the bottle of champagne. Good breakfasts especially the fruit salad but we were surprised that we could not order or make ourselves a boiled egg, and the water for our tea was not boiling hot so became cool very quickly. At 23 euros per breakfast it is pricey. We used the valet service to park our car and at 50 euros for two days which expensive too but it gave us peace of mind as parking is not available at the hotel itself. Shame there was no hot towel rail in our bathroom which is beginning to show its age with a few chips in the bath.
A hotel to enjoy for special celebrations. Thanks to Christophe for providing us with a more comfortable room so making it a memorable two days.

Room Tip: The room around the courtyard are very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Stinker_9,

Thank you very much for sharing this positive review with everyone on TripAdvisor !
We are thrilled to learn that you were seduced by the location of our property and its architecture.

Also, I am delighted to read that we were able to relocate you in a room that allowed you to properly celebrate your anniversary.
Moreover, rest assured that for your next stay among us, our reservation office will be at your entire disposal in order to take note of your room preferences.

We hope that we will, from now on, become the perfect spot for any of your romantic celebrations.

Warm regards from Lille,

Reviewed May 15, 2014

A guest I spoke to nailed it well: "you should come if you like history, otherwise it feels like being in a museum". His disappointment has a mirror correspondence to my enthusiasm and satisfaction for having selected this place for a 2 nights stay.
POSITIVE: superb recovery and adaptation to hotel function of an historical kloster, with church, hospital, courtyards. It hosts 2 restaurants, nice small living rooms popping up at corners and a museum for contemporary exhibition, as well a room dedicated to the history of this place.
Unlike other reviews I do praise breakfast -buffet is hosted in a charming little room -you just need to appreciate the antique wardrobe and decorations of that area.
Room was spacious, woodwork embellished all walls. Ceiling was especially high, which contributed to a sense of palace-inhabiting. Very fine bath with fine tiles that covered the walls till half of the height.
Service was kind and attentive. Nice people indeed. They run the extra mile in a couple of occasions and I consider the way this place is managed absolutely fitting a 5 stars standard expectations.
Location is safe and close to the exhibition center. For the old city you need 10-15 walk.
NEGATIVE: some of my colleagues complained about noisy rooms -also reported in another review. You may want to ask for higher floors, real walls-made rooms. (however, it must be said that entrance and bed room are separated by an additional door).
CONCLUSION: no doubt my first choice for another stay. Forget the '800 Ritz Carlton in the center: here you dive in the past history of this flemish-french city and also appreciate modern architecture solutions. A wonderful, enriching stay I will not forget.

Room Tip: Get courtyard view, make sure you're away from the bar, as for real walls-made rooms to get no n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear HEDIN,

We thank you very much for this very detailed review concerning your last stay at l’Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection.

We are glad to learn that you have enjoyed the architecture of our property as well as the service provided by our staff.
Your kind comments will be forwarded to everyone as it is always a pleasure to learn that our work had the expected result.

For any future reservation, do not hesitate to check our website as our best prices and offers are posted on a regular basis.

We wish you a very pleasant spring and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

A unique hotel, sympathetically fused with a historic hospital with fantastic public spaces. Great reception staff.
Unfortunately a number of issues let this hotel down. As a regular business traveller I usually stay in 4 star hotels so was looking forward to a treat in this 5 star. Free basic WiFi was provided in all rooms - apparently only if you happen to be in the area of the room that receives a signal. 1 bar intermittently available on WiFi and more often than not the signal dropped completely. If you are going to offer WiFi them provide a proper service or not at all. A premium service was on offer for 22 Euros a night - I can only presume that premium means that it actually works.
The hotel bar is a joy to uphold but is very very expensive which did not encourage many patrons when we visited.
Breakfast was the scene of disorganised chaos! We were not met on arrival and shown to a table. No tables were ready to be used - either in a state of partial re-laying of cutlery or recently left by earlier visitors. Not enough staff were evident. We had to chase a waiter to ask if we could get tea or coffee. The room providing the breakfast selection is far too small and no chef was on hand to cook eggs or omelettes to order. Every hotel I stay in for business provides this service. During breakfast I witnessed several other guests experiencing the same lack of service. 1 couple even had to lay their own table so they had somewhere to eat.
I would stay at this hotel again but I would watch Trip Advisor carefully to see if the hotel has addressed these problem areas.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
A-Grosperrin, Directeur général at L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Phil,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinion with us.
We are glad to learn that you have enjoyed the time spent in our property but we feel very concerned by your comments regarding the WiFi and the breakfast.
Of course, these issues will be addressed immediately as our greatest concern is the satisfaction of our guests.
Our breakfast is normally well rated among our clients and we are sorry if we were not able to fulfill your expectations on this occasion. I can guarantee you that no efforts will be spared in order to avoid any similar discomfort to our next guests.
I wish you a wonderful spring and rest assured and I will be more than delighted to welcome you back very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in all aspects. We stayed for three nights and I think our bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in, and the bar was a gorgeous (albeit, yes, very expensive) place to relax. Still, the service was excellent and it is a lovely place to spend time. This hotel should be a case study in excellent restoration/renovation. It had so much character, but at the same time very modern and comfortable.

We walked to and from the Eurostar and as many say it is around a 15 minute walk - flat, easy and good to get your bearings when you arrive. We loved staying here, though it was a pretty long walk to the Old Town - which is by far the nicest part of Lille. This didn't really bother us too much though it felt a tiny bit too far on the way home some nights. I like staying a little out of town normally, but there really wasn't a lot around the hotel in terms of nice bars and cafes, or places to explore which was a bit of a shame. The hotel does have an excellent Boulangerie next to the entrance though, where we bought breakfast every morning.

A few things to say about Lille itself - we stayed Sat, Sun, Monday nights and found Lille to be practically dead on Sunday and Monday evenings, there were so few restaurants open on the Monday which was a shame. We ate in the hotel Brasserie on the first night, and it was excellent, but we found ourselves having almost no other option on the Monday. We didn't eat in the main restaurant - it looked lovely, though very formal.

I can't decide if we would stay here again. I think, once the Spa arrives, then yes - as a real getaway place. But, if we wanted to do more in Lille I think we might prefer to stay a little closer to the centre (which is very unlike us!).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah B

Dear Sarah,

We would like to thank you very much for having chosen L’Hermitage Gantois Autograph Collection on your last stay in Lille.

Your feedback is a great value for us and I am glad to learn that our level of service has reached your expectations.

For any future reservation, do not hesitate to check our website as the best rates and offers are uploaded on a daily basis.

Once again, thank you very much for your positive feedback and we hope we will soon have the pleasure to welcome you back at our hotel.