“Quirky and stylish”

L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 107 Hotels in Lille
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our base for a city break, we really enjoyed this hotel. The combination of old and new has been done well. The bar is a lovely place to sit and drink. The room was lovely, if a touch small, and perfectly comfortable. Staff were courteous and helpful. Location is ok - slightly dubious street and a 10-15 minute walk from the main sites. Overall a great place to stay if a little pricey.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for L'Hermitage Gantois, Autograph Collection

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a very well placed hotel - only a 5 minute taxi ride from the Eurostar station. The building is a clever combination of an old hospice and modern facilities making a very quirky finished product. Our room was of a decent size, but I did not like the separate WC with no fan and no wash hand basin. The bathroom was fine, except the sink was such a curious shelved design with no plug - only a drain - it was impossible to fill it with water for washing or shaving. Everything was clean, and the service at reception was brisk and efficient. We did not sample the food as our deal did not include breakfast (an eyewatering 42 Euros for 2) nor did we stay in for evening meals. The bar prices were sky high, but then it is a 5* hotel. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We liked this quirky hotel in Lille, it is a perfect mix of new and very old. We arrived mid-day and were promptly escorted to our room in the older part of the hotel. As our lovely escort opened our rather crooked door, she announced that we had received a room upgrade.

It was indeed a nice, large room … and it was the most unusual hotel room we’ve ever slept in. We entered into an area with a wardrobe and work table. To the left was a large bedroom with a king-sized bed, sitting area and an old fireplace. To the right was a huge bathroom, well appointed, including bathrobes and slippers.

The floors were so slanted that the furniture legs had to be cut to various lengths to keep them level, but it was simply charming. We had windows in every room with a view of a purple flower packed inner courtyard.

As worn and crooked as the old part of the hotel was, the public spaces were sleek and modern. The atrium cocktail lounge was very pleasant and the piano music added to the nice ambience. The drink/wine prices, however, were very high compared to anywhere else we stayed and compared to the nearby restaurants and bars. My husband ordered a second glass of wine which, along with the server, never appeared. We took it as our cue to leave and find a place for dinner.

The front staff was helpful with restaurant advice and directed us to two very good, not so touristy, places to dine.

The only faults with this hotel for us were the terribly slow WiFi connection, although we appreciated that it was free, and the location. The hotel is situated a little out of the way from the center of town and the area wasn’t the best. But we are walkers and easily walked to both train stations and to all the Lille sights.

We enjoyed our stay here and appreciated the nice upgrade. Would recommend to anyone staying in Lille.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel looked great in photos so we booked for a weekend trip to Lille. We drove from London - dead easy on the tunnel. Parked in local multi storey and on the street quite cheap so don't worry about valet nonsense. Also reception don't know about the parking times on the street parking so don't ask - because they want you to pay for valet parking probably.

We had a quiet room at the top overlooking the inner courtyard, so the room was small and low ceilinged, bit dingy due to small dormer window but quite attractive. The bathroom had no window and VERY poor lighting so it was dark and depressing, but quality fittings. Don't get excited by the Hermes toiletries, its just shower gel. Ask for a bright room if you want to see what you are doing! We did just have the basic room though, and that's exactly what it felt like!
We used the brasserie one night which was fine. We didn't have breakfast as the room looked dull - only very high windows you cannot see out so was odd feeling, and was so expensive for breakfast anyway we gave it a miss.
Also, hate to say, but there was the distinct background smell of a dead rat somewhere - both in the restaurant/breakfast area and the brasserie (connected to each other). I have a bit of a fetish about this smell and knew it immediately. Not bad enough to alert everyone, but enough to put me off! Its an old building and an old town and I know its difficult to deal with, so not entirely hotels fault.
The hotel does look good, and the public areas are great and well thought out - comfortable with a bit of glamour. The bar area is in an atrium which gets very busy with business meetings at all times, even weekends. This is good as it makes it a buzzy place top hang out. The prices though are CRAZY expensive - 12 euros for a glass of wine!! They do give out quality nibbles with drinks though, there is a man tinkling on the piano which is always a winner, and the service is very good. Worth it for one glass before moving off!

One other thing - the place seems to have been allowed to gather a selection of laughably bad art - poor handling paintings and ridiculous metal standing figures of nuns and priests. Terrible. The quality of the architecture is first rate, but its close to being spoiled by clutter of bad trinkets junk and kitsch. I know taste is subjective, but their association with whatever local gallery is hawking this guff needs a rethink.

Overall, loOks great in the pictures, not bad in parts and is very smoothly run, but maybe there are better places to spend your money in Lille.

By the way, Lille is FANTASTIC - loads to do if you like arty history stuff. Also worth a trip - the Piscine museum in Roubaix. World class. Also the new Louvre offshoot in Lens - AMAZING!

Room Tip: if you don't like dark dingy rooms, avoid the ones in the roof
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I try to give a short review on the l'Hermitage Gantois in Lille (autograph collection). I went to this hotel due to their Marriott affiliation. First of all the property is extremely nice and in the last reviews you see that the people really like it. It's old church/monastery made into a hotel.

The rooms are nice and the beds comfortable (like always). Although I have the feeling that the room is missing something. There is a see through blind in the shower area which is really see through. It lacks privacy especially when you have a room on the street side with a complete flat block looking into your room. Furthermore the room on the street is very very noisy (so opening a window is a non option).

The free WIFI is extremely slow and you can hardly use it to download attachments so I decided to take the 22 EURO ! per day internet which is also slow (max 150 kbps). It is possible that this due to the location of my room but for the price offered and the price of the room it needs to be perfect.

The business center offered by the hotel is extremely small and impossible to do any work. There is also NO fitness center.

In my opinion this is a hotel for couples and family on a leisure trip not for business travelers who will stay a longer periods.

Room Tip: Don't take a street view room. Extremely loud noise from traffic and passing people
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk away from the old city and the wonderful historical buildings and tasteful shops. The hotel is an amazing building that oozes with history, there is a chapel and a museum all within the hotel, it's very tastefully renovated and the room that I had had all the creature comforts and a nice quiet outlook onto a delightful courtyard.
The food was excellent and catered well for vegetarians though there was one tiny accident with a little appetiser that was not expected and was fish (fortunately I could tell before eating anything and the waiter was very apologetic about it). The service was impeccable and though my French is terrible the staff were very patient with me (their English is perfect and when I struggled they helped me out - thank goodness!)
Lille is a beautiful city with fine architecture and L'Hermitage Gantois a wonderful hotel to enjoy your stay

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Snutz
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Why I consider this the best hotel is because it ticks all my boxes. I was last here in August 2012 where you will see my first review. I am back as I promised with my partner for a swift weekend break.

The basic hotel is an old hospice renovated, refurbished and extended. The history is well documented in my original review and in other Trip Advisor reviews so I will not repeat it here.

Back to my tick boxes, I love a nice atmosphere, fabulous staff, a nice room with a great bathroom, a comfortable bed with comfortable pillows and a large room to move around in. Add a great restaurant and bar, free wifi everywhere and you have my interest.

We arrived to find Willy was still working on reception, good to see the lack of turnover of staff. Sarah took care of business on this trip and checked us into a lovely wood panelled room (233) overlooking the street (my choice) last time I was in room 255. The bed in my room was home from home. Fabulous! (You will not want to leave it). Even the pillows were totally acceptable which is a huge plus, the best hotels do not necessarily provide good pillows. The bathroom was an internal room but totally acceptable with a separate walk in shower again my preference. They are mean with the toiletries but a visit to the housekeeper trolley soon corrected that.

Free wifi is available all over the hotel but my room was not very good reception so if this is important to you, make sure wifi works in your room before settling in.

The bar area is great and the restaurant is one of the best restaurants in Lille.

I travelled to Lille on Eurostar arriving at Gare de Lille Europe station which is a 15 minute walk to the hotel. The hotel is in Rue de Paris and opposite a residential block which is not very inspiring but don't let that put you off. Just across the road to your right is the town hall with its tall belfry which you can visit and get a 360 degree view of Lille. Turn left out of the hotel and walk for 10 minutes to reach the Grand Place where there is Lille life. The Opera and square and any cafe's shops and streets to walk around. On my visit the opera playing was Barber of Seville and they had a huge screen and sound system erected in the square for all to see and hear completely free.

There is not a lot to do in Lille, the old town, grand place, art museums, shops,restaurants, but you could incorporate into your visit (as I did on this occasion) a drive to Ypres in Belgium to experience the last post at The Menin Gate. It will take about 45 minutes each way. Get there for 20:00 especially on a Friday. Have dinner in the main square.

Back to the hotel summary.

A Marriott "Autograph" property well worth a visit. Look out for special offers from providers such as Shotbreaks or Last Minute. Get yourself a Marriott loyalty card. Dont be afraid to ask for an upgrade at checkin. Get breakfast included in your stay €18 with the room booking €21 extra if you pay separately (May 2013). Valet parking if you have a car. The only thing missing is a pool, spa, leisure centre but they are extending the hotel and later this year (2013) they will have one.

• Stayed: May 2013