“Horrible!”

Wazemmes Market (Marche de Wazemmes)
Ranked #34 of 136 things to do in Lille
More attraction details
Owner description: Asia, Africa and other parts of the world are represented through reasonably priced clothes, food and other products available at this large, diverse marketplace that also has stores and restaurants.
London, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Horrible!”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I was tempted to this market as it was in the guide book. I was expecting the usual nice French market with various foods and stalls but this whole area appears to mainly be ethnic food, clothing and cheap goods. There is nothing wrong with that but it certainly was not what I had been led to expect. The butchery section was disgusting and nothing would tempt me to buy anything anywhere here. I have been to real markets throughout the length of Africa which were much nicer than this place. I only stayed about 20 minutes and the whole are became so crowded and noisy that I could hardly move. It felt safe and I didn't feel threatened in any way but I was squashed amongst the crowds and smells and was glad to escape. They obviously like it but I found the whole experience just horrible.

There are other much nicer markets in Lille Old Town which I recommend. In fact, I recommend anything except Wazemmes Market.

Visited December 2010
3 Thank Michael J

• Hungarian first
Sheffield
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Wazemmes Market. Last minute shopping.”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

We were there on a short weekend break and leaving the luggage at the hotel, EuroLille) we caught the metro (Lille-Flandres - Gambetta - about 3 minutes - 0.65 single.

Colourful with a wide range of stuff. We bought some specialist cheese and there was a great beer place. Both in the covered permanent bit.

I'd certainly shop here if I lived in Lille. Great range of ethnic restaurants around the square.

3 Thank Folkiedave
Brussels
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“More for locals than for tourists”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Less picturesque than London's Notting Hill. Unlike in Paris' Marché aux Puces de Saint Ouen or Madrid's Rastro, nothing is old (or almost). Unlike in Barcelona's Boqueria, the food is not particularly exquisite. Wazemmes is simply big, ideally suited for the needs of locals. Going there on Sunday morning is a perfect way of sharing a little bit of the life of locals. What is not bad for certain tourists.

2 Thank Vanderheuvel
Northants
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Midweek is nothing special”
Reviewed April 24, 2009

We were not able to go to the big market on Sunday but went to the smaller one held every Tuesday and were not that impressed. It was about what i would have expected in my local market. Nice enough but I think the Sunday one is the one to go for.

2 Thank The-beets
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Lively and fun!”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I nearly didn't go this market after reading negative reviews about the area but I'm glad I ignored them! It is true that the area around the metro is slightly disconcerting but it is very busy with a steady stream of locals and tourists attending the market. It probably just looks a bit shady because of a couple of beggars and folk lingering rather than actually being dodgy. Of course you need to make sure your purse is safe as you would in any crowded area-I would do exactly the same in the London market where I live. You can see the start of the market from the metro exit but we arrived on foot which took about 25 minutes from the Euro lille station area-a nice walk.

Making sure our money was safely tucked away, we happily strolled through all the stalls selling a myriad of different things. As well as the usual market wares such as clothes, shoes, linens and kitchen paraphernalia there were lots of colourful stalls heaving with wonderfully looking fruit and vegetables. There were gorgeous big bunches of unusual flowers like mimosa and even small trees for sale.

There was also a handful of stalls by the church selling old records, books and bric-a-brac.

The surrounding streets were so quiet on the Sunday morning that it seemed possible that most of the residents of Lille were there buying their weekly veg!

It is definitely the where all th life is on a Sunday in lille as almost everything else is closed.

We really liked it!