“What more could you ask for”

Le Barbier qui fume Vieux-Lille
Ranked #28 of 1,554 Restaurants in Lille
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Monterrey, Mexico
“What more could you ask for”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Service, food, wines, coffee was outstanding. Dessert was a great way to finish a fantastic evening.

Visited August 2014

Verbier, Switzerland
“Lucked a fine evening meal here on a Lille summer Sunday, memorable.”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

And learned some new words. So my simple French told me “souris” meant smile, so how did souris d’agneau make sense. As a metaphor. The French sounds much better than its English name, lamb shanks. And, marinated and slow cooked, it was delicious. My partner’s steak also was excellent. My other new French word was “ cassonade” (brown sugar), used in another figure of speech, for a dessert, an old French favourite, a “souvenir d’enfance” (“memento of childhood”), called “pain perdu a la cassonade”. Good service, in a butcher shop turned restaurant after dark in a neat old corner building. Overall a neat restaurant.

Barcelona
“Different but not exceptional”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We had a considerable wait before our starters were delivered and given that they were both cold dishes, we couldn't understand why other people received theirs before us. My wife's terrine was OK but no better than I have made myself. My langue Lucullus was very small and not very exciting. My wife then had camembert with smoked beef. The beef was beautiful but there was a bit too much camembert! I had the smoked rack of lamb which I was warned would be pink. When it arrived it was near to being overcooked but it tasted OK but the vegetables (5 small batons) were cold but the potato dauphinoise was fine. All dishes were accompanied by probably the worst bread rolls we have ever had in France - very doughy and not ideal companions to the meal - something rustic/artisanal would have been better. We had no desserts. We had a pichet of house red and that too was OK. We felt the service could have been better and generally the food was overpriced. We would try other restaurants before going back to this one.

• Visited August 2014
“Great meat, friendly staff and lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Welcoming atmosphere and lovely waitors. We shared a selection of meats to start which was very tasty and bountiful. We then both had the rump steak which was cooked to perfection. Good portion sized. Worth a visit if you like good quality meat!

Bruges, Belgium
“For meat lovers”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We haphazardly went looking for a restaurant and bounced into what was actually a butcher shop turned restaurant with the funny name :”Le Barbier qui fume“. Very friendly and very professional, the service was impeccable. And so was the meat. For starters we had a nice serving of Iberico pata negra and we let some crispy toast with fresh bone marrow melt on our tongue. Vera had piece of Rum steak, I had the Faux filet and our daughter relished a plate of pork ribs, cured and smoked on oak. It was all prepared to perfection, the meat was tender and succulent, in one word: delicious.