“Terrible Service Rude Recepcionist”

Hotel du Moulin d'Or
Ranked #30 of 107 Hotels in Lille
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I went there with my reservation, the recepcionist lady told me that there was a mistake on my booking for that reason they're not able to give me my room at Moulin d'Or and they send me to much cheaper hotel without my permission.
When I told her that I'm not happy about that she yelled at me and banished me from the hotel and also charged NO SHOW to my credit card.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Fiorrre
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Moulin d'Or

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night in October. Its located 5 minutes from the Lille Flandres and 10 mins Lille Europe Train Stations. Entrance to the hotel is "hidden", just a door leading through to a corridor. The reception is on the 1st floor, with rooms on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd. We were on the 3rd floor, the room wasn't the largest, but fulfilled the purpose, and nicely decorated and clean.
WARNING: Reception isn't manned 24/7, entrance to the hotel after an evening of fun is by a keypad, unfortuantly we weren't advised of this and it was only by luck my partner noticed a code on the key fob. Missed breakfast, however there is a brassarie across the road. We were able to leave suitcase and collect later during the day
Would definitely reccomend!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

A 2 star hotel, which is small but well located we had a room on the 3rd floor which was amply apportioned for a weekend away. It was close enough to all the amenities to get out and about.

the hotel is clean and comfirtable and we were able to leave our luggage there on Sunday why we did some sigh seeing.

thank you for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Basic but wam and cosy
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed for one night a week or so ago in the Hotel du Moulin d'Or, two friends visiting Australian battlefields and sites on a tight schedule. We had booked a twin room.

Arriving in the morning, we viewed it with utter dismay. It was furnished with large dark-brown pieces, diminishing further the already-tiny space. In one corner was a metre-cube board cupboard of a toilet, in another a metre-wide bathroom of board, entrance curtained off, and whose walls did not reach the ceiling.

The beds were jammed between these facilities, no side tables, no space between the beds, such that one had to crawl into one bed from the side. More intimacy than we wished.

We would have liked to move to another hotel but there was no question of this, Madame insisted. The choice was to grin and bear the room for one night - or pay for two hotels. At 99 euros per night for the Moulin d'Or, we were not prepared to do this.

But perhaps even worse than the room was Madame herself. She was so unwelcoming as to be almost a Monty Python caricature. There was no pretence of politesse or even civility. When we asked her about getting to Ypres to see the Menin Gate and the surrounding cemeteries, she shrilly informed us that Ypres was in BELGIUM and that it would be impossible to get there in one day. This was terribly upsetting news as this was the specific aim of our trip. We did of course get there and see the sites.

The room was clean, yes. The hotel is very near the station, yes. There were tea b ags and a kettle, yes. But we expected far more of a hotel at this price. It was grim, unwelcoming, charmless. And way overpriced. Were we in the same hotel as other reviewers? is there a phantom staff we did not spy? Did we get the only unrefurbished room in the hotel?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank arabrab
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here for two nights visiting Lille for a long weekend trip.

We were very impressed with this quaint, bijou little hotel.

The hotel is an unassuming Victorian building in a busy, rather run down street. Please don't be put off. The rooms are really lovely- in a 'shabby chic' French style.

Our room was immaculately clean and compact. It was prettily decoated with blue sailing boats. The bed was particularly comfortable The toilet and shower were in good working order. There was a hair dryer, tea/coffee making facilities and a desk. A flat screen tv is also provided with a good range of channels.

We found the staff very friendly and they cleaned our room each day; toilet rolls replaced , towels were changed, bed was made, floor hoovered and bin emptied.

The only downside is that the main street can be very noisy at night if you are in a room at the front as we were. We closed the windows on the second night which helped of course but without air conditioning, it did get hot! But overall, the hotel itself is peaceful. Even in high season and fully booked, our landing was almost silent. We couldn't hear anyone in the rooms around us, although on a return trip from the recpetion to get a magazine, I heard someone snoring!

There is room service and breakfast but we went out to eat, so I cannot comment on the quality of food or service here.

if you go out at night, they give you a code to unlock the door as they lock it at about 9ish, so they are security conscious.

I would definately reccommend this hotel for couples and for business trips.

I think for the money, it's excellent value and so convenient for the old quarter of Lille, Eurostar and Lille Flanders main station.

The stairs are very steep and there is no lift. So for those less mobile, it could be problematic. I'm sure they would help you to carry suitcases up to the top floor, although I did not see a porter.

We enjoyed our stay and would definately return.

Room Tip: For those with less mobility, ask for a room on first floor. If you are sensitive to noise, ask for...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Having just returned from Lille, previous reviews are pretty much accurate, but here are some more notes for keen researchers who dismiss gushing reviews.

Location: you can walk there from Gare Lille-Europe in about 5-10 minutes (handy tip: don't walk around the front of Gare Lille-Flandres, walk through it and you'll exit nearly opposite Rue du Molinel).

It's in a somewhat tacky street, but that does not matter because thenceforward you'll be on foot, heading towards the lovely parts of this delightful city and will get there within minutes.

Entrance: is exactly that, a door in the street. Very steep and narrow stairs lead up to a very narrow corridor containing reception desk. This is not a hotel for people who have problems carrying baggage or with mobility issues.

Check-in: pleasant, but next-to-no English is spoken nor understood.

Rooms: compact is a polite word. The double bed takes up nearly all the room. You see those cupboards in all the photographs? One of them in each room contains the lavatory, on the other side of the bed from the tiny washbasin-shower facility. You keep forgetting to go the other way to open a cupboard door to use the lavatory, then squeeze back around the bed to get to the wash basin.

Shower is up two steps inside the tiny curtained-off corner: potentially very dangerous: another sign that this hotel is for agile people only.

Mini-bar was eventually found inside another cupboard, and empty. Yes there is a kettle and a few packets of instant coffee with plastic cups. Bring your own (proper) mugs, tea bags, and ask for fresh milk to put in the tiny cupboard fridge to make your own early morning tea.

Windows: yes they do open, but you have to jam something in to make them stay open on a hot night. People in rooms at the front will suffer from flashing street signs and noise after dark.

No one else has mentioned the room telephone. At first I thought there wasn't one, but eventually I found a wall-mounted hand-set with a sign saying that it costs 50 Euro Cents to activate it.........better take your own mobile phones if you want to call anywhere - including emergencies?

Room cleaning: don't expect too much. All they do is shake the duvet and replace it, together with any used tea/coffee bags (presumably) and empty room bins. Everything else is left untouched from day to day (on a 3 night stay) - washbasin/shower area not cleaned, for instance.

Two people would have a struggle in one of their double rooms. As it is one person has to walk sideways to get around the bed and there is nowhere to hang clothes apart from the back of the door. The one tiny closet was filled with a spare folding chair, two spare pillows, and a spare blanket.

The day we left, something went badly wrong with the water supply. The sink water was white, not clear. Stupidly, I tasted it while brushing my teeth. Twelve hours later the bad taste has still not gone away. The shower ran hot then cold then packed up when I was covered in soap. Eventually the water came back on again. Referring to these on check-out (in French) she said it was a problem with the electricity supply. ??? That makes no sense to me, but at least it happened on the last morning and not the first one, and I had filled the kettle the night before (phew!)

Sleep quality: poor. Boiling hot room with very strange plumbing whereby when the person in the room overhead flushed their lavatory, a loud rattling noise was heard in this room, in the lavatory cupboard right next to the bed. It was like being back in Spain. No one else has mentioned this either - perhaps they slept more soundly?

We did not try their breakfast: there was no need to with so many other places nearby including the station a few steps away.

The only reasons for staying here are: location, clean room when you arrive, price. If you expect more than that, you're in the wrong place.

Lille itself is a delightful city, and a complete surprise. It is full of restaurants of all types to suit all budgets. The buildings are a pleasure to look at, just to wander around the other streets so easy to get to from this hotel, was amazing and fun. Shopping opportunities abound, if that's your thing. We will return (but alas, will spend a bit more and stay somewhere else).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor, the floor up only one flight of steep narrow stairs. Ask for a ro...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank StripedShirt
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I have just come back from a week-end in Lille where I was visiting a friend in hospital there. I stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel du Moulin d'Or.
It is in a very convenient location, 5 mns' walk from Lille-Europe and very close to Gare Lille-Flandres; in fact so close that I walked right past the hotel, which is at the Lille-Flandres end of Rue du Molinel. I had asked for a room on the 3rd floor and yes, the stairs are steep but this is fairly normal, considering the architecture of the houses in the area (tall and narrow). When I got to my room (Room 310 I think, double room overlooking the back), I opened the window and thought:"Oh dear, cooking smells from a restaurant". I have a very sensitive nose and although the smell was not very strong, I wondered if I should change rooms. However, I am pleased I did not. The smell was only temporary (during lunch and a bit in the evening) and I had an excellent stay in that room. It was wonderfully quiet and I slept like a log. It was also lovely to have tea/coffee making facilities in the room (kettle, tea, coffee and sugar)j. It made it feel very homely. I shall be coming back to Lille with my husband and will stay there again. It is so convenient, being in town and yet quiet. I was able to walk to the cinema Rue de Bethune every night and back without a problem. I also did a lot of shopping as it is close to the shopping areas. Another positive is the prompt response I got from the owner by email when I told her my arrival time, which did not seem to be when reception was manned. She assured me I could get my room as soon as I got in by Eurostar in the early afternoom and indeed, she was there to check me in when I got to the hotel.The only negative: the room, although a double, was not huge, but for a week-end it would be enough. I caught a glimpse of a room opposite (overlooking the street, not the back) and it seemed a bit bigger, but less cosy.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs, choose a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo