“Great stay”

Novotel Lille Centre Gares
Ranked #23 of 107 Hotels in Lille
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night, I had a suite, very clean, very comfortable
The staff are nice, the breakfast is normal french one (Croissant + orange juice only)
The location is good as it is close to the train station
The internet is good

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The long weekend break was booked via the Eurostar web site mainly because this offered a breakfast included rate. As events turned out this was just as well since the 14 euros charge represented poor value particularly when the breakfast room (about 75 covers capacity) was busy - and boy was it busy the first morning. At least one coach load stopping at the hotel was augmented by seemingly another with guests walking in from a nearby hotel. The result was little short of chaos with people unable to find a table and even if they could then unable to find a plate, cup or more especially any food since the contents of trays periodically brought in were immediately consumed. One Frenchman apparently trying to feed his family resorted to taking food from unattended tables - the moral of the storey was clearly that the early riser could enjoy a reasonable breakfast but woe betide if you turned up after 8.00am. It was hard to believe that the number of staff had not been increased to meet the demand generated by so many in attendance. In fairness to the hotel when we complained about the bedlam experienced we were provided with a voucher for a free drink but I think most people would prefer not to be subjected to this sort of experience in the first place. On the following two mornings we were blessed with a degree of normality although a shortage of cooked items again involved a lengthy wait for the items to appear.
On the positive side the (superior) room on the 4th floor was a decent size and the air-con helped to keep the room at an acceptable temperature at night. The check-in staff were helpful and easy to communicate with - the breakfast staff did not seem to speak any English but this may have been more to do with ignoring the somewhat irate guests on Saturday morning!
Probably fairer to give 4 stars rather than 3 but I could not really say that the stay overall was "very good".
We might return to Lille again but probably would look for a slightly better hotel.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

it' was paradise. Receptionist so professional. Hotel restaurant served best tasty food. Rooms perfect ,I felt like a royal. The hotel has its own gym. Situated very centrally near all the attractions and shops. There are several restaurants nearby if you prefer eating out.. I'd like to visit this place again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Close to station, rooms large and clean. Long wait to check in while helpful girl showed prev customers all the tourist sites, which we appreciated when we finally got to counter. Need more than one on desk! Key didn't work on door, back to desk to get fixed. When requested extra plug for charging up iPad, was given wrong type that wouldn't fit into their own plugs. Back to desk and had to show her which one. Breakfast a disaster. Arrived at 8.15 for breakfast. No bacon left so told attendant. He checked and went into kitchen. Someone came out 10 mins later and lifted lid to check and disappeared. After 20 mins still no bacon. No toasting bread left either so asked attendant for that. Plain cheap white sliced bread arrived. I thought the French were well known for their bread! We have had beautiful bread for toast elsewhere. Made my toast still no bacon so decided to go without. No round plates anywhere for toast, had to use long plates segmented into three and balance toast onto that, actually had to cut it into half to get it to fit. Scrambled egg was stone cold. It had been sitting there since we arrived and it turned out that it wasn't plugged in! Only other hot option was to boil my own egg and didn't want to wait any longer so ate it cold without bacon. Not good Novotel, won't use your chain again.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

There are a few threads to this review - but since this mainly concerns the hotel itself, I'll start here. The hotel is conveniently located next to the busy Centre Gares station. Don't let this put you off. Despite being the link to all over Europe - we didn't experience any noise from passing trains.
We joined a coach trip from South Wales (Leisuretime) and were welcomed on arrival with fruit juice and water following a long journey. Check in was efficient and friendly, and the public areas were spacious and modern.
Our room was on the first floor (106) and we were surprised to see a double bed and a sofa bed made up. We put the sofa bed away as we didn't need it. Modern bath and shower with a separate toilet. Tea and coffee facilities - but like many hotels - only the bare essentials. ,
My only criticism of the room - paper cups for beverages and no mirror around the dressing table area. The only appropriate tv channel was BBC Worldwide - so no domestic news.
We had breakfast included - which was far better than the usual continental offering. The first morning went well, but the buffet was not as we'll stocked on the 2nd day - mainly because there was another coach tour on an overnight stop - so it was very busy.
Lille itself was very nice. A little bit more difficult to eat out than say Paris - and our poor French language skills were tested! Lille can be accessed in around 1.5 hours from Calais and about as far to Bruges.

Room Tip: We had an Un-guaranteed request for a low floor and this was honoured.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just had a great time staying at the Novotel Lille, cannot agree with Doreen from Llanelli more, a wonderful value for money break. Have already e-mailed Thomas of Rhondda regarding their driver Jamie.I fully concur with all previous comments made by Doreen. He is certainly a credit to the company but most importantly to himself. It is so refreshing to find someone so young with such understanding and patience. The hotel and staff were first rate and I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone. WELL DONE lEISURETIME THIS ONE IS A GEM.

Room Tip: 316 A lovely quiet room at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brianwhitelock
Reviewed July 16, 2013

As usual I booked a lovely coach trip with Leisuretime Coaches, as they are so reasonably priced, and certainly value for money, we were going to Lille in France with a day trip included to Brugge, which is the prettiest place any one could wish to visit, similar to Venice, but without the dirty water smell, [I have been to Venice], we stayed at the Novotel, Lille Centre Garres, which is next to the main railway station, I have stayed in this hotel 3 times over the past 2 years, and it is unbeatable for quality and service, the staff are wonderful, the young lady on the reception desk, Asma, even remembered me from last august, and i was really shocked at that because they have so many guests over the period of a year, [I unfortunately didn t recognize her, until she rushed after me, which was quite embarrasing] they are all so kind and helpfull , it is a lovely hotel to stay in and so clean, and the excellent breakfast is out of this world, THEY HAVE EVERYTHING, and it was quite a problem for me, knowing what to eat first, ha, ha, pig as i am.

I was on my own this year, as my husband stayed home to watch the dog, horse and rabbit, it was also our 51 st wedding on the 13th july, so i left him to have a peacefull day without me, ha, ha, I always request room 501, when i stay there alone, as it is a single, but it has a king size bed, and it is a huge room, it also has a mini bar, I take all their things out when i arrive, and go and buy fresh milk to make my cups of tea, as there is a huge shopping centre, [like city europe,] just up the steps to the left of the hotel entrance, and i go shopping in Carre four, which is very reasonable. This hotel also has an electric kettle and all the tea bags, milk, coffee sachets, etc, etc, for you to use , which they replenish each day, free of charge, in the room. I love this room, as it is so peacefull, as it is at the end of the corridor, and I have never heard any noise whilst in this room as it is in the back of the building.
The bed has a duvet, and lovely pillows, which are ever so comfortable, and is always spotlessly clean, the air con is really cold, and it is not a problem to sleep even in August as it is so cool.The bed covers must be cotton, as they are always really cool.
The t.v. has british channels, and it has a remote control which is left in the room.
There is a shower room and a seperate toilet.
If anyone is a smoker I believe that the whole of the second floor has ashtrays in the rooms, but where i am there is not even a whiff of cigarette as it is a non-smoking floor, which is excellent .
We were taken to Brugge on the free excursion on the Saturday, and really enjoyed until 4pm, our coach driver was excellent his name is Jaimie, and he drives for Thomas the Rhondda Coaches, he was the most pleasant young man that you could wish to meet, he was certainly brought up really well, he was exceptionally polite, and not only being an excellent driver, he was well turned out, and so helpfull and professional at all times, Mr. Thomas certainly knows how to choose his drivers , they must be hand picked he only has the very best, and they all work to a high standard, I have never seen a bad one yet from Thomas the Rhondda coaches, not like some other coaches I have travelled on, and it makes a very big differnce to your holiday, to have someone pleasant and friendly driving you, on my last trip which was to Ostend , we had Jeff Thomas and all the old ladies on the coach, [including myself loved him to bits] he too was excellent in all ways, and couldn t do enough for us, in order to make our holiday so special , i would like to give special thanks to jeff, and jaimie from everone on the coach, for giving us all such a wonderfull holiday, as we wouldn t have been able to get to this lovely hotel, without their carefull driving. yours thankfully rosemary cole LLANELLI.

Room Tip: I have already mentioned that the 2nd floor is meant for smokers, and also the top floors at the bac...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo