“Good location”

Novotel Lille Centre Gares
Ranked #23 of 107 Hotels in Lille
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The location was right next to Lille Europe train station which was excellent because I walked from the train station to the hotel. It is walking distance from all the main downtown attractions. The hotel has a computer in the lobby which was great because I didn't bring my laptop and needed the internet.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had chosen the Novotel Lille Centre Gares for a short weekend. This was my second stay at this hotel, the previous occasion around 4 years ago.
Firstly, the hotel has a great location, only 10-15 minutes’ walk from Lille-Europe station (for Eurostar and long distance TGVs) and just on the side of Lille-Flandres station (local services and Paris TGVs).
The staff is very good, fast check-in and check-out, and very responsive to problem. Because, problem, I had!
I arrived at around 19h30 on Friday evening. Swift check-in and I was in my room in no time. After trying to contact the restaurant for some room-service, no one was picking up. So I contacted reception and was told that this may be a problem because of 2 groups having dinner, but the young lady on the phone said she would call me straight back after checking with her colleagues from the restaurant. And no more than 5 minutes later, she called me, apologising but saying that her colleagues from the restaurant and kitchen said no room service or diner at the restaurant would be provided that night! I was rather unhappy about that, and to her credit, before I could even complain; she offered to source some diner for me from surrounding restaurants. And so she did! She called me from a local restaurant, taking my order, bringing it herself to my room before returning to the restaurant for my payment! Amazing service I have to say, well done!
Nevertheless, I find it unbelievable that the management of the hotel had not planned ahead, bringing in more staff to cover the extra volume of customers.
The other bad points are about the room itself. It seems that the hotel is aging without being properly taken care of. The air-conditioning is not properly working, whether you set it on 5, 15 or 20° it makes no difference! And the first night was rather warm. The TV channels on offer are very limited (just over 10, some badly tuned), not even offering the full range of free channels available in France. Also impossible to adjust the screen view (set on movie and totally wrong for most of the programs on air) and impossible to make use of the language selection on offer on many French channels (you can select to view some programs in original language).
I regular stay in Lille, and most times at the Novotel Grand Place as it is generally a little cheaper than the Centre Gares. I wanted to try again the Centre gares, but I think that this will be the last time and I will return to the other central Novotel for my future visits.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank leolon
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Newish, clean and well appointed. Staff were very helpful and despite our early arrival had the room ready and accessible straight away. The street is very bland (I'm inclined to say the wrong side of the railway stations, but I am not sure there is a right side), but easily walkable to the historic centre of Lille. Probably better for car travellers. The room was spacious and comfortable with a good bathroom. Higher floors may have some sort of view, but the lower floor we had looked out on to concrete. But one is not in Lille to sit in hotel rooms, so not a problem for a short stay. This is clearly a hotel which prices itself to maximise returns from events in Lille. The pricing is OK if there is not much on in town, but jumps enormously when something is scheduled. Take advantage of any special offers or early booking discounts, but compare pricing carefully with comparable properties for the dates you may have in mind.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pogee06
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked the hotel thanks to a promotion. Not our first time in Lille. Good hotel and centrally located, public parking next door, very close tot rail road stations Lille Flandres and Lille Europe, delicious breakfast, friendly staff, we'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Nice standard Novotel. Good sleeping quiet. Location is not too far from centre. Price prebooking is OK, standardprice is too high. Nice breakfast, good coffee. Wifi a bit complicated, but works well. Very friendly people!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here for 3 days and enjoyed every minute. We had a room at the rear hotel, very quiet, spacious with a lovely bathroom. Large cumfy beds, spotlessly clean bedding, towels changed if required in the bathroom.The reception area is light and airy, staff always there to help. The hotel is ideally located for local restaurants and bars and there certainly are plenty to chose from. Having been to Lille before, we were quite amazed by the number of beggars now allowed on street corners - be aware of pick pockets. I would certainly recommend the hotel either for pleasure visits or business. Breakfasts comprised of either hot or cold buffet meals , continental breakfasts if needed along with cereals, juices and coffee/tea just as you wish.

Room Tip: quieter rooms at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have stayed at Novotel "suites" before, so knew what the room facilities would be like. Front desk staff were very helpful. As were arrived mid-morning and our room was not available, the manager arranged for us to have a complimentary breakfast. Good selection of breads, pastries, cereals, juices and a self-service coffee machine that made a reasonable cappuccino. The room was quite spacious - with the trademark "Suite" roller-desk. Bed was confortable, adequate pillows altho I found a little hard. Bathroom had the usual amenities. Location is 5-10 minutes walk to the Lille-Flandres rail station, and a few minutes from the main square.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business