This is a modern hotel situated in a side street, and backing onto a square, about 5 minutes walk from the Place Rihour and the Grand Place. Thus very convenient for all activities; about a 20 min walk from the Eurostar station.
Lille pleasant (don't miss the free zoo - closed Dec1-Feb6 and the Art Gallery)
I will deal first with the positives, and deal with the problem last.
Hotel design in public areas is chic, even funky, the bedrooms being more standard, but still well-appointed, with large flat screen TV, sofa, pivoted table, etc. Staff really excellent - pleasant and concerned but not obsequious. Breakfast (included in our 3 night break from Superbreak, cheaper that way than direct) really very good, with wide choices and (a nice touch) local specialities such as wafers and Maroilles cheese.
Staff would break out into English at any opportunity.
We stayed in Room 205 from 8-11 October -and the hotel had got out its winter heavyweight duvets -- far too hot as it was 72 deg F outside.
The major problem, however, was mosquitoes. My wife and I ended up with over 30 painful bites between us. Reception expressed great surprise over this, and had no remedy. When we used to go round France 30 years ago in 70-franc a night small hotels, they were common, and we soon learned to take insect repellent and an aerosol of fly spray. But in a modern 21st century hotel?
The mosquitoes seemed to lurk in the cooling and heating ducts, and the flat roof below Rm 205 was equipped with long flat drainage channels that retained water - ideal for mosquito propagation!
Would we recommend the Novotel? Well, oddly, we would. It was a very good hotel. But management (to whom I will copy this) really ought to see to the insect problem, as the consequences for someone with an allergy could be very serious. In the meantime, take a fly-killer aerosol with you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel Lille Centre Grand Place is a 3 star hotel in the heart of Lille, close to the Grand Place and the old city. The hotel offers 104 airconditioned rooms, a restaurant, a bar and four meeting rooms for your conferences and seminars. This hotel is equally suited to a business trip or a holiday in Lille with your partner or family. Guests also enjoy the benefit of a gym and a secure public car park adjoining the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Novotel Lille Centre Grand Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Lille Centre Grand Place Hotel Lille
- Accor Lille Centre Grand Place
- Lille Novotel