“Ok, not great”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux Lille 2
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I ordered a dish that had duck and was roped with mash potato. It was warm not hot, but tasted ok.

Given the competition along this road I was really surprised.

The service was good and the place filled up as the evening progressed, so maybe I was just unlucky.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We went to Lille for the day to celebrate my husband's birthday and booked Au Vieux Louis for lunch, partly on the strength of Tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. The food was well presented and delicious. We started with a vegetable tart which melted in the mouth. My husband then had the fish of the day for his main course, which was sea bass and I had the duck breast. It was a very ample portion, cooked in honey, which I can thoroughly recommend. I believe the restaurant specializes in duck and this dish was really good. We wanted to try a dessert but could not manage one each, so shared a creme brulee with cinnamon which again was delicious. The whole feast with a glass of wine each and soft drinks came to under £50, which we reckon to be very good value. We will certainly pay a return visit next time we are in Lille.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is easily one of the worst restaurants I've been to.

After about a twenty minute wait, I I ordered Chateaubriand with morel mushroom sauce. I did not order a starter. After about 25 mins, I asked the waitress what the status on my dish was. She said it would be ready soon. After waiting another 15 minutes. I asked where my meal was. The waitress replied that it was taking a while because I had ordered the steak well done. I pointed out that I had ordered the steak very rare. "Oh," she said and soon I was handed a steak that was barely an inch thick - Chataubriand is usually at least three to four inches thick.
It was accompanied by a small container of microwaved morrell mushroom sauce. In a good French restaurant, microwaved sauces are unacceptable. I would note here that I was charged a Chataubriand price for this puny steak.

For dessert, a chocolate tart that had been picked-up at a patisserie earlier in the day - certainly not prepared at the restaurant

When it came time to pay the bill, I gave the waitress my creditcard. U.S. credit cards to not have a chip in them. This has never been a problem at countless restaurants throughout Europe. The owner or manager had a fit because I didn't have enough cash to cover the meal. Ultimately, I had to give him the 20 Euros that I had and we took my credit card to another restaurant to pay the balance for my meal.

The credit card incident was minor but any restaurant who can't produce the food that's on their menu and takes cheap short cuts is completely unacceptable.

In hindsight I wish that I had walked out before the steak came. I'd have gone to Comptoir 44 (across the street) where I'd had a wonderful meal the night before.

Avoid this restaurant like the plague.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

We were with a group of 8 so we were glad to find a spot at this restaurand located at the Rue de Grand. What a nice street on itself in Lille (lots of restaurants, bars and wine bars!!)
Menu card look pleasing and we all had a 3 course meal. Staff friendly and helpfull.
I had for starters the Foie gras de canard fait maison which was just excellent!
Me and a friend then went for a big chunck of meat with the "Côte de boeuf"
I ended with a really delicious "Moelleux au chocolat noir fait maison, crème anglaise".
The red wine they served us was also good. (and since i almost drink only white wine it was a pleasent surprise for me!)
An other suprise was the total cost for the 8 of us....(positive wise!) I didn't expect it to be that cheap!

1  Thank PatrickBuijs
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This restaurant had a nice ambience and lots of outdoor seating, but I'd have to say that the food is a bit average for the price you pay. Perfectly adequate though and we had a nice evening here.