“still brill”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife and I ate here 5 years ago on our last visit to Lille and thought it was the best in Lille. We ate here again on Easter Sunday and now think its the best in Northern France!!
We tried to book for Easter saturday evening, but it was full, so we had to wait till Easter Sunday.
All the food was of a very high standard, as was the beers and wine.
Service with a smile at our appalling attempts to speak French, and the bill wasn't too bad either.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I came here my first night in Lille and had a great meal. I didn't have a reservation so I came here promptly at 7pm and had no trouble getting a table. The servers were very nice and we got our food quickly. The beef stew was really tender, but I didn't expect it to be as sweet as it was. The salmon carbonnade was great though! It came with wild rice and a salad so it was a nice break from some of the heavier Flemish dishes. The power did go out twice during our meal but there were plenty of candles lit that it actually wasn't that bad. Just a little note, you pay your bill in the end at the bar. It was a little hard to find at first. You go through this small alley from the main street, but there's usually a chalkboard sign on the wall so you won't be too lost.

1  Thank framboise8
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stumbled across this wonderful little restaurant having forgotten to make a dinner reservation for a Friday evening. It isn't easy to spot as it is down a little alley where you emerge into a very pretty courtyard beautifully lit with fairy lights which must be a real bonus in summer months. Luckily they were able to fit us providing we could free the table within a couple of hours which wasn't an issue as we were eating with children and hadn't intended a leisurely dinner! Within half an hour the place was full and many of the patrons were regulars and known to the staff. Beautiful interior, lots of candles and quirky touches including a roaring fire and fairy lights everywhere. Husband and son are steak fanatics and gave the Pave 9/10. Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the dish I ordered (Assiette hivernale ?) but it was a speciality and included fresh vegetable soup with broth to die for, a large chunk of terrine with onion confit, a piece of camembert and a little dish of roasted new potatoes. The dessert menu included a small roasted camembert which I ordered with fries and salad as a main course for my daughter and she loved it. Excellent wine list and very reasonably priced. We had a decent beaujolais for 16 euros. Total bill was 70 euros but the whole experience felt much more expensive. As an added bonus the staff were very friendly too. So lovely booked to go back two days later with extended family.

2  Thank nat1962
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Typical intimate restaurant, mixing French and Belgian influences. Chaotic service, but somehow it all turns out nicely and timely. Lights got out every 5 minutes, sort of an attraction I guess. Good, authentic food. Did contract a nasty case of the noro virus though, although I cannot claim it is directly related to this restaurant (I did have the tartare though, but this really shouldn't be a problem if the hygiene is right).

1  Thank RonT58
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Wow this totally floated our boat! Go down a little corridor off Rue de Saint Etienne into a small treelit courtyard surprising us with a little gem of a restaurant. Shabby Chic interior with a wonderful candlelit ambiance with a crackling fire, Edith Piaf singing her 'thang' and attentive but not overbearing service with first class French cuisine at an amazing value for money! Overall tres superbe! and we WILL be going back again!

1  Thank AshleyBuck

Been to Les Compagnons de la grappe? Share your experiences!