“The best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Michel Sarran
Ranked #1 of 1,786 Restaurants in Toulouse
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Michel Sarran restaurant in Toulouse���s charming old town is a townhouse eaterie that boasts a pair of Michelin stars, understated warmth and style, and the most famous gastronomic name in the city. Michel���s wife Francoise greets you and shows you to the bubbling, modern ground floor dining room, the leafy terrace, or one of the more subdued, romantic first floor dining rooms. Sarran has made his name with ambitious, subtle gastronomy focussing on the best regional, seasonal ingredients: warm foie gras soup with Belon oysters, wild salmon cooked and cru with green curry emulsion and soba noodles and shellfish, chicken and egg with Aquitaine caviar. The lunchtime Saveurs menu is a steal. Wines and service are superb and the amuse-bouche delightful.
Brazil
“The best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

It was our best restaurant of the trip. The service and the food was fantastic as we expect from a restaurant with 2 Michelin star.

Visited February 2012

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“For business only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is a smart, classy restaurant - in a run of the mill area - opposite one of the university faculties riddled with grafitti! I went with my partner, attracted by the strength of the TA reviews and the 50€ menu (including wine). We were both disappointed, not by the numerous waiters, maitre d' nor the sommelier who were all top notch, attentive and polite, but by the food itself and the excessive number of small offerings between courses which contributed a sense of haste to the meal. Our dishes (we both chose the same, veg soup starter, fish main course) were chosen by process of elimination as we don't eat foie gras or pigeon. Our aperitives, Kirs, came accompanied by three different flavoured puff pastry sticks - noticeably salty. We were then offered an egg cup of very tasty parsley soup with a whipped brume of something that, in retrospect, tasted very like the first course of jerusalem artichoke soup. The parsley soup was accompanied by a trio of mini-pastries which were deep fried and heavily salted. The artichoke soup was also generously salted; consequently we found it necessary to drink numerous glasses of water so that when the main course of sea bass was presented, I felt full and had lost my appetite. This didn't help my appreciation of the sea bass which I would have happily eaten au nature but it was overwhelmed by a heavy bouillabaise sauce; a mere egg-cup of the sauce would have sufficed! I wasn't enjoying it so I didn't finish it. We had opted for the pudding over cheese choice BUT I strongly advise anyone visiting opt for the cheese course because immediately after your main course you are presented with a miniature ice cream chocolate cone, swiftly followed by a selection of mini-sugary amuse-gueules. So when the pudding arrived I was predictably over-sugared and didn't appreciate the pudding itself,only eating a spoonful to taste - unmemorable. We turned down coffee, but were still presented with the coffee accompaniments! We then paid and left - all within 90 minutes. To conclude, my overall impression is that this establishment and its €50 menu is targeting the French 2 hour business lunch. Its many courses are pure window dressing, impressively presented but without real concern as to how the food tastes. I would not be surprised if the boss had left the very able staff running the show on their own - they are indeed excellent. I do think he should try sitting at one of his tables and tasting the food - salt can enhance flavour but should not BE the flavour. In my view, the food I ate on that particular day does not merit a single Michelin star.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank sailingourmet
London, UK
“2 Michelin stars, but good value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

The food here is world class. 2 Michelin stars are wholeheartedly deserved. If you eat here for lunch, it is superb value, especially the 49 euro special. A bargain for a foodie. If you order a la carte, you can anticipate higher prices, but you get what you pay for. Another bit of evidence that this place does not try to fleece its customers on account of its Michelin stars. We asked the sommelier to recommend a local wine that would pair up with our food. He took great care to learn what we had ordered and pointed at a bottle of Fronton, a local appellation. I was shocked at how inexpensive (but good) the wine was. Only 35 euros. It was a perfect pairing with our food. Try asking a sommelier elsewhere to recommend a bottle of wine, in my experience they point to something really expensive and when you ask for something more reasonable they sniff their nose at you and belittle you for ordering something under 100 euros, dollars, pounds, etc.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Lawrence23
London
“Refined in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

The setting is lovely and intimate, and our lunch highly enjoyable, especially (I must confess) as we weren't paying the rather eye-watering bill.

Toulouse, France
“fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

We went for my 30th as a treat, what a great place.. as a group of 4 we had a big table in the main room which is well spaced out room is well spaced, so much so that you can forget that there are others dining there. We all took the surprise menu with the wines to compliment each course. Everything was excellent, Michel was cooking himself and was more than happy to adapt the courses and make special dished for the members of the group who couldn't eat certain items. He came out to talk to us at the end of the meal, I think because we ordered 4 tasting menus! Hefty bill, but came away thinking it was worth the experience and the price, I imagine the same standard in Paris or London would be nearly double too. We spent over 4 hours eating and drinking. A lovely evening for a special occasion. Will go again for sure!

2 Thank Thomas M