“A pleasant stay at H. Heliot.”
Review of Hotel Heliot

Hotel Heliot
Ranked #23 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I enjoyed Toulouse a lot, and my stay at Hotel Heliot was one of the main reasons. I stayed at Heliot for 4 nights, last week (Sept. 2012), and I felt like at home. Fred, the manager, was really kind and helpful, ready to help and advice about the city, he speaks French, English and Spanish fluently, so I can comunicate in my own lenguage and share many more things. Heliot, the cat, is big -well, really huge :)-, calm and friendly. The room was big, with high ceilings, has two big windows, and it was well insulated, so you can rest quite well. There are plenty of room around the bed, and the bed was big (double), and confortable. The house is an old one, but everything was clean and ready, and far from annoy me, the years give to the whole hotel a home like atmosphere, and charm. I particularly like the stairs, a nice wood spiral one, with a light forged rail, that maches perfectly with the mood of the house. There are not lift, but there are just 3 floors. I also enjoy a lot the garden, espetially at morning when I was enjoying my breackfast, since the opposite wall is all a big window, so you can see through the nice tiny yellow and pink roses and the ivy and other plants, and if you are lucky you can follow to Heliot the cat in his morning walking. The garden is casual and share the mood of cottage gardens, with empty pots and pieces of these pink bricks that gives the nickname to Toulouse (The pink city). It was unespected, but it is a gem, ... just like a secret garden.
The breackfast was simple and tasteful, croissans and bagette almost hot, served early in the morning by the backer, so it is nice. The coffee was made by Fred, and everything served by him, the breackfast was like the zem moment, for my in a work trip, but it would be the same if you are there for holydays.
So if you are looking for a design, impersonal, sterilised hotel, well the Heliot, is not for you, but if you love the hotels with character, charm and a friendly and familiar attention, Heliot is for you.
I recomend this hotel, and of course, I would stay in it when I come back to Toulouse.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great location just minutes from the centre.

Personal welcome, very friendly.

Room was quiet, well equipped, but yes may be seen by many as quite run-down, could do with modernising but given i wasn't there for long i didn't mind too much. Shower could've definitely done with an upgrade.

Good value for money all things considered.

Stayed for two nights.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I thought it is only fair to write this review after reading some unfavorable reviews on this hotel. I just would like to say that we did thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in December 2010. We had a very enjoyable in Toulouse and absolutely love the food on offer in Toulouse. The owner was most welcoming and helpful. The room we stayed in is basic and the bathroom was clean and spacious without any extras one would expect from 3/4 stars hotels. We did mind climb the stairs and we see it as our daily exercise before and after breakfast. I agreed with one of the reviewers that he or she found the settee cover dirty but this is to be expected in most hotels and it didn't help with a calico fabric. It would be good to have some space for storing things instead of the hanging trays in the wardrobe. Granted our room is on the dark side but we only sleep that and besides it was winter. But these are minor things and they did not spoil our stay. We certainly didn't find the place dirty or smelly. The breakfast we had was always good with fresh bread and hot coffee, and the price is reasonable.

We find the location is extremely central, everything is within walking distant. We would not hesitate to stay at Heliot again. We are cat lovers and were delighted to have the company of Heliot.

Y Milford

Room Tip: Adequate space to move around; space to store ones luggage; clean with reasonably comfortable bed.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Dirty, smelly carpets, looking very very old. One of those places you expect to see a mouse coming from a hole in the wall. Fortunately, we didn't. Three flights of stairs, not easy for my sister who had fallen the day before and was in a lot of pain. The clerk was both nice and rude: nice when he carried my sister's suitcases up the stairs; rude when he shushed me and said I was not in my house (after, my sister and I had a good laugh about it all, we're good sports). Central location. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lucia G
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I can't understand why nobody has mentioned the horrible smell of the hotel,in the corridors, but inside the rooms, the dirty carpet and the mold on carpets and in the bathroom (especially on the third floor). otherwise it was relatively cheap so if you tolerate the smell and the fact that you have to climb 3 floors away it was simply tolerated. Fortunately the furniture in the room was new, and towels seemed clean. The young man who worked in the evening was very polite and willing to help us with our luggage. However, the boss (Fred) was very rude. when we mentioned the problems of odor and mold, told us liars, and that did not bother our opinion. Upon arriving we decided to cancel our reservation for the next few days, and stay only 1 night, although the charging policy enabled us to pay 1 night only, he charged us for 2, and he wanted for us to empty the room so that he can give it to another customer (arrogance). later told me that the company (booking.com) would charge him for the second night,so we couldn't pay only 1. I tried to negotiate with him but he was stubborn.
1 hour after we left, we got an email from booking.com that our booking had been canceled properly, and had to pay only 1 night.. (so, he wasn't charged the second day, and he could get the whole amount from us.) thus turned out that he is a liar and not we.
And by the way, Fred, because I know that you are reading the reviews, I think that I personally was very polite with you, I did not insulted you, I tried to negotiate with you, to explain you where was the problem, and the only thing you wanted is to get as much money as you can and wondering. if the place I live is better. I inform you that my place is far away better than yours, and I'm sorry for you , that you have to live and work in that place. I'm so sorry.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank KL P
DEUXH, Owner at Hotel Heliot, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

Dear Sir,
I fully understand that you may not be entirely satisfied of your stay. As a matter of fact, I value the remarks and comments made by customers, for they help me improve and sustain the quality of the services we offer.
I must nonetheless regret that you are fairly insincere, and there is nothing I could for you.
May I simply suggest that you should check more carefully when booking your stay in a hotel :standardization, is not, and never will be our main criterion.
You also complained about the stained carpet and bad smells in your room, which leads me to remind you of a very simple fact you failed to grasp, and which caused us great annoyance : Eating is definitely NOT suited to hotel rooms.
Sincerely yours,
The owner
Frédéric

Reviewed October 10, 2011

Our family of four stayed here for 2 nights. The location is convenient, within walking distance to the train station and city centre. Our family room consisted of two bedrooms and a large bathroom. It was spacious and clean. There is no lift so it was quite a haul up 3 flights of stairs. Free wifi with good signal. There is a garden but only for use if you have the breakfast there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2011

First we noticed how conveniently situated Hotel Heliot is:

We arrived at the Toulouse airport and took the transport into central Toulouse. Our stop for Hotel Heliot was just yards from the actual Hotel, so it is conveniently situated. We never did use the underground while we were there, but the station is also very close to the hotel.

Then we met Freddie:

When we arrived at the Hotel Heliot, we were greeted by the very warm and personable owner, Freddie. He told us his nieces had been staying there, so Heliot (the cat) was more shy than usual because the girls had been very interested in him. Despite Heliot's shyness, he gave us a very good display of cat behavior when he attacked his new "cat condo" in the front room. I'm a bit balmy for cats, so Freddie and hit hotel went up even more in my estimation at that moment.

The room (s):
We stayed in room 11 (I believe), which had 2 twin beds and a little balcony looking out on Rue Heliot. I really loved the room. It was not at all fancy, more like our house back home (comfortable, clean, but not overly fussy). We decided to return to Toulouse early, so we came back and stayed at Hotel Heliot again; however, only a double room was available and it did not have the charming balcony right off the room (it did have an accessible balcony - from the hall, but it's not the same). I think we may have been in room 12 the 2nd stay.

The food:
We didn't opt for the breakfast, as we were trying to stick to a very strict budget. We did, however, find several little cafes in the area that had petit dejeuner for about 5 Euros (usually bread, a croissant, butter, jam, orange juice and a hot drink - coffee or chocolate). There are many cafes in the area and I recommend walking off of the main streets and away from the tourist areas in order to find one that appeals to you. Freddie recommended a couple of restaurants in Place Wilson. We opted for Italian (just for a change & to have a better vegetarian option for my daughter) and it was excellent.

All in all we found Hotel Heliot incredibly charming and liked it so much, we returned before our trip was over. I preferred it to the "posh" major chain hotel we Pricelined in London.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family