“bad smell , rude and greedy boss”
Review of Hotel Heliot

Hotel Heliot
Ranked #21 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse
Toulouse, France
“bad smell , rude and greedy boss”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I can't understand why nobody has mentioned the horrible smell of the hotel,in the corridors, but inside the rooms, the dirty carpet and the mold on carpets and in the bathroom (especially on the third floor). otherwise it was relatively cheap so if you tolerate the smell and the fact that you have to climb 3 floors away it was simply tolerated. Fortunately the furniture in the room was new, and towels seemed clean. The young man who worked in the evening was very polite and willing to help us with our luggage. However, the boss (Fred) was very rude. when we mentioned the problems of odor and mold, told us liars, and that did not bother our opinion. Upon arriving we decided to cancel our reservation for the next few days, and stay only 1 night, although the charging policy enabled us to pay 1 night only, he charged us for 2, and he wanted for us to empty the room so that he can give it to another customer (arrogance). later told me that the company (booking.com) would charge him for the second night,so we couldn't pay only 1. I tried to negotiate with him but he was stubborn.
1 hour after we left, we got an email from booking.com that our booking had been canceled properly, and had to pay only 1 night.. (so, he wasn't charged the second day, and he could get the whole amount from us.) thus turned out that he is a liar and not we.
And by the way, Fred, because I know that you are reading the reviews, I think that I personally was very polite with you, I did not insulted you, I tried to negotiate with you, to explain you where was the problem, and the only thing you wanted is to get as much money as you can and wondering. if the place I live is better. I inform you that my place is far away better than yours, and I'm sorry for you , that you have to live and work in that place. I'm so sorry.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank KL P
DEUXH, Owner at Hotel Heliot, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear Sir,
I fully understand that you may not be entirely satisfied of your stay. As a matter of fact, I value the remarks and comments made by customers, for they help me improve and sustain the quality of the services we offer.
I must nonetheless regret that you are fairly insincere, and there is nothing I could for you.
May I simply suggest that you should check more carefully when booking your stay in a hotel :standardization, is not, and never will be our main criterion.
You also complained about the stained carpet and bad smells in your room, which leads me to remind you of a very simple fact you failed to grasp, and which caused us great annoyance : Eating is definitely NOT suited to hotel rooms.
Sincerely yours,
The owner
Frédéric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Finnish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Our family of four stayed here for 2 nights. The location is convenient, within walking distance to the train station and city centre. Our family room consisted of two bedrooms and a large bathroom. It was spacious and clean. There is no lift so it was quite a haul up 3 flights of stairs. Free wifi with good signal. There is a garden but only for use if you have the breakfast there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2011

First we noticed how conveniently situated Hotel Heliot is:

We arrived at the Toulouse airport and took the transport into central Toulouse. Our stop for Hotel Heliot was just yards from the actual Hotel, so it is conveniently situated. We never did use the underground while we were there, but the station is also very close to the hotel.

Then we met Freddie:

When we arrived at the Hotel Heliot, we were greeted by the very warm and personable owner, Freddie. He told us his nieces had been staying there, so Heliot (the cat) was more shy than usual because the girls had been very interested in him. Despite Heliot's shyness, he gave us a very good display of cat behavior when he attacked his new "cat condo" in the front room. I'm a bit balmy for cats, so Freddie and hit hotel went up even more in my estimation at that moment.

The room (s):
We stayed in room 11 (I believe), which had 2 twin beds and a little balcony looking out on Rue Heliot. I really loved the room. It was not at all fancy, more like our house back home (comfortable, clean, but not overly fussy). We decided to return to Toulouse early, so we came back and stayed at Hotel Heliot again; however, only a double room was available and it did not have the charming balcony right off the room (it did have an accessible balcony - from the hall, but it's not the same). I think we may have been in room 12 the 2nd stay.

The food:
We didn't opt for the breakfast, as we were trying to stick to a very strict budget. We did, however, find several little cafes in the area that had petit dejeuner for about 5 Euros (usually bread, a croissant, butter, jam, orange juice and a hot drink - coffee or chocolate). There are many cafes in the area and I recommend walking off of the main streets and away from the tourist areas in order to find one that appeals to you. Freddie recommended a couple of restaurants in Place Wilson. We opted for Italian (just for a change & to have a better vegetarian option for my daughter) and it was excellent.

All in all we found Hotel Heliot incredibly charming and liked it so much, we returned before our trip was over. I preferred it to the "posh" major chain hotel we Pricelined in London.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank BKinTexas
Ontario
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Heliot for 5 nights, and would definitely stay at this hotel again. The location was perfect: a short walk to the city centre, train station. Fred (the owner) was very friendly and helpful. One must remember that this is not a 5 star hotel, but it was clean, comfortable, and had Wifi for free.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank #1travelbug
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Attending a conference in Toulouse, I stayed 5 nights here. It’s run by someone who just might be the world’s friendliest French person. The WiFi signal was strong, the bathroom clean. The bedroom very comfortable. There is state-of-the-art fingerprint security system on the door entrance for night time access. Just one minor thing; there was no iron; so just iron your shirts before arriving :) (French conferences are so laid back though that you can get away with a few creases on your shirt – if you even decide to wear one at all). All in all, when you consider the cost and the location, I don’t think you will find a better hotel in Toulouse.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank dazzatraveller1234
Windham, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The walk up the three flights of stairs should have been the tip off - the walls were quite banged up with chipped and peeling paint. The room at first didn't look bad but the shower stall had black mold all around it. There was no place to put a bar of soap and you ended up stepping on the shower curtain when showering. When I mentioned the mold to the owen he said it was old and wouldn't come clean but I could wipe it off with a tissue. The slivers of soap we had used to shower with were still stuck to the base of the shower - no other place to put it - after the shower was "cleaned".

Although the hotel was well located and reasonably priced it is really not worth it if you want to feel clean!

Room Tip: Don't know if there is one!