“Disappointing”

Airbus Factory Tour
Ranked #14 of 39 Tours in Toulouse
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I added Toulouse to my itinerary purely for the two Airbus tours in English. The good news is that Toulouse is a wonderful city, well worth visiting; the bad news is the Airbus tour is sadly disappointing.

I took two tours - the A380 tour and the Panoramic tour. Our guide for both was Mathew. His English was excellent as was his knowledge. He toed the corporate line a bit too much for me, but that is not his fault.

My biggest complaint was that photography was not allowed. Seriously? We saw less on these tours than you can see on the internet; Boeing was not going to garner any corporate secrets from photos I might have taken. When I asked Mathew why the no photography policy, he agreed we saw nothing "secret" or even rare - rather Airbus was trying to protect its corporate image. What a load of bunk. I love my camera and any time I am prohibited from using it, I'm going to be very disappointed.

The A380 tour was only interesting when we got to the assembly building. You get to see whatever assembly is going on - we saw a BA and LH Airbus under assembly - and much of the information about the assembly process and how the parts are brought to Toulouse was fascinating. Standing outside, gazing over the flight line was also for me a wonderful experience. These are magnificent machines, and they deserved a picture or two :)

The Panoramic tour can be quite interesting. You are a bit at the mercy of what is going on on the given day. We saw a number of the "Beluga" transports, a new A350 under final assembly, many new A320's prepared for delivery to their customers, as well as the ATR and A330. Again, how I wish I had pictures to go back to.

The prices are very reasonable. I suppose for an aviation enthusiast like myself, it is a must do. But I really wish Airbus would review the no pictures policy. The gift shop is fine; I gladly parted with close to 100 Euros worth of T-shirts. There is no pressure at all to even visit the gift shop.

6  Thank viapanam
in 12 reviews
"passport"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My family & I took the A380 tour which lasts around 90 mins.

There are 3 elements. First a video of the test flight of the A380 from the perspective of the control centre where the engineers monitored the flight. This was little more than a video show.

Second a trip to the assembly line. You look out over the huge workshop where 2 aircraft were being prepared. It was interesting but all you do is look down from a height of about 10 stories onto the workshop.

Last is a visit to an interior mock up of an A380. The aircraft seats were tatty and worn and the business class section looked like none I have witnessed. This element really was awful.

The tour guide was good and her English was excellent but overall it was expensive and uninspiring. Even for myself who is interested in aircraft.

You end at the gift shop. Around €50 for some of the models. Need I say more?

Take my advice. Spend your money on a meal out with the family and avoid this tour completely.

3  Thank Chris P
Reviewed July 31, 2013

No nice movie theater, no nice bus tour on the site, little view of the plant. If you are in the neighbourhood visit but dont plan a trip specially for this

3  Thank GTholland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I went with three friends (all elderly) and we all enjoyed it. The hostess was very informative and we liked the take off and landing especially as cockpit visits are not allowed anymore. The sheer scale of it you cannot appreciate when you only see it flying. I can't wait to get on board!

1  Thank wriggle2
See more reviews
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had visited the Boeing factory back in March 2013, and I was hoping we can match the Americans if not do better!

But unfortunately the tour was immensely disappointing as you don’t get to see as much, as one does with the Boeing tour.

The tour guide was a recent graduate, and she was essentially presenting a paper and NOT talking to the people on the tour.

The visitor centre is OK, limited but OK. Again it pains me to admit Boeing did a much better job at this as they have an actual (small) aviation museum with rooftop viewing centre, not just a few posters, a few aircraft bits and a video!!!

All in all, I believe Airbus Toulouse have a lot of room for improvements in all areas.
The Airbus story is inspiring and what they’re doing with the A380s, etc does deserve to be showcased better....at the moment, it is not worth the €15 per adult entrance fee.
- Photography is not allowed
- Allow more time than you think to get there, the traffic around the airport was a nightmare
- Ample free parking available on site

This is the website to book tickets:http://www.manatour.fr/?lang=en