“Impressed with the Crowne Plaza”

Crowne Plaza Toulouse
Ranked #17 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse
Sheffield
“Impressed with the Crowne Plaza”
Reviewed April 20, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a trip to Toulouse, where we spent 5 nights at the Crowne Plaza. Toulouse is great – plenty of things to do and see, and all within easy walking distance of the Crowne Plaza. Which, for us, made this hotel a great place to stay.

Overall, we were impressed with the Crowne Plaza. Its location is perfect for a sightseeing holiday. But it wasn’t just the location; the hotel and its staff were very good as well. The reception staff were helpful and efficient, and they spoke good English.

We had a king sized bed in a perfectly good sized room. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were fine. The room was kept clean and tidy for us by the housekeepers. The room’s furniture and decoration was certainly not new, but it was ok for our needs and did not spoil our stay in Toulouse. Our room had a good bathroom and a shower with plenty of hot water. Given that the shower comes with a half screen, rather than a full curtain, a reasonable amount of care ensured we did not get water everywhere.

At 23 euros each we felt that breakfast was not worth touching. So we ate in a café in Place du Capitole – Le Figaro I think it was called. We were quite happy to pay just 5 euros each for a croissant, bread roll, butter, preserve, glass of fresh orange juice and a coffee.

Taking everything into consideration, I would be quite happy to stay at the Crowne Plaza again and to recommend it as a place to stay for a short city break.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price of breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OldScarborian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 6, 2008

Yes, the location is wonderful. But there is nothing else about this hotel that is.

This was my 6th stay in Toulouse and my first at the Crowne Plaza.

Upon check-in, I requested a "quiet" room and got one overlooking a small courtyard (restaurant below) and rooftops. Not much of a view, but it was quiet. -- as opposed to the rooms that overlook Place Capitole which can be noisy, especially if you like to sleep with your window open. The check-in staff was courteous, but nothing special. The bell-man was very responsive upon my arrival and I almost felt bad that I had luggage with wheels and could handle it myself.

The hotel room was small. And well-worn and outdated. It seems this hotel has 2 distinct types of rooms, the 'standard" rooms -- that are smaller and tired, and the "club" rooms which are larger and much more nicely appointed, as well as more expensive. The room had a king-size bed with a dark yellow bedspread -- nothing like the gorgeous red/gold pictures shown with some of these reviews. The mattress sagged to the most used side. And the pillows were either lumpy or super-firm foam. There was no sofa, but 2 club chairs in the room that were small, yet too large for the room. The carpet was in good shape, and fairly clean, and the drapes appeared to be quite new. The hotel was full, so there was no chance to change rooms.

The bathroom was pretty decent with lots of counter space and a adequate shower set-up with the 1/2 door that the French are so fond of and therefore, lots of water on the floor....

Everything was kept very clean by the efficient, but smelly, house-keeping staff. Yes, the housekeepers had a bad case of BO -- I found myself holding my breath as we passed them in the hallways. Their odor also lingered in the room, even after they were gone. Thank heavens for a window that opened!

Every afternoon, a house-keeping manager came by the room to check on its "cleanliness"; and someone came by each afternoon to replenish the 8 oz bottles of Evian. If you plan on taking a nap, be sure to put out the "do not disturb" sign, or they will make quite a ruckus trying to enter your locked and bolted room. On the last afternoon we were there, they came around about 3 in the afternoon wanting to turn off the electricy for 10 minutes and work on something in the room...I had been napping without the "do not disturb" sign out and they were not going to just go away. I was not feeling well. The staff person that was knocking very loudly was not very understanding when I said I needed a minute to get dressed before I could open the door. Then the workers come in, and some tool that has a long cord comes apart and they leave and never came back. Strange. I still do not know what the issue was. Communication was very lacking -- and I don't mean language issues -- although, for a "continental" hotel, there seemed to be a hesitation to speak English -- as if they weren't sure of themselves... And, this issue was a complete lack of any attempt at communication. They were there and then they were gone -- with no word on if they were coming back or what or when...

Breakfast was interesting -- included in the room price -- and plentiful, as long as you got there by 8am during the week. Breakfast was served 6:30-10:30. As I was not on business, I ventured down early a couple of days, with the hubby, and later, the rest of the week. Earlier, about 7:30, the scrambled eggs and hash browns and everything seemed nice and fresh; later, after 8:30, give or take, and nothing was fresh anymore -- the eggs and hash browns were soggy with condensed steam, all the strawberries and other fresh fruits were gone, as well as the croissants (sacre bleu!) and some of the cheeses. There seemed to be adequate staff Monday thru Thursday and we always had plenty of good coffee. And you could order freshly fried eggs, omelets, and crepes -- there's a menu on every table with these items -- Keep in mind, however, that even when the restaurant was not busy, a cheese omelet took 15 minutes.

The high speed internet connection in the room was 10 euro per day and it was about as fast as dial-up. Maybe. I was surprised that a hotel of this caliber charged for internet -- and then was extremely dissappointed at its functionality. And it was bad anytime of day. Hubby used it at night for his business stuff and was frustrated; I tried morning and afternoon and had no better results. Argh!

Although this was a very "continental" hotel with a very varied clientale, I felt that it lacked the charm of a smaller, more personal hotel, such as the Mercure Wilson. Sure, the lobby and public areas of the Crowne Plaza are pretty, but that's not what I come to a hotel for...

And sure, it's kind of nice to be right there, on Place Capitol, but there are numerous hotels within 5 minute walking distance that are superior for the price. And the cafes, bars, restaurants that are so close, while adequate, are nothing special. They cater to the tourists that frequent the area and generally, don't know any better. However, a 5-10 minute stroll will have you stumbling across much better establishments with better prices, too.

Overall, while there was really nothing "wrong" with our stay at the Crowne Plaza, I believe that there are much better hotel values to be had in Toulouse.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price, Value
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank suzyav8trix
Vancouver BC
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We were disappointed in our stay at this highly ranked hotel. Although the staff were friendly, the furniture in the room showed a great deal of wear and tear. Our biggest frustration was the breakfast service. They were severely under-staffed and very slow to clean away and reset tables. On Saturday morning at 8:30 there was no staff present when we arrived, the coffee carafe had burned dry and there was no hot milk at all. This is not a good way to start one's day and I would recommend going outside and having breakfast at one of the nearby cafes also situated on Place Capitole.

• Liked — the central location on Place Capitole
  • Disliked — the breakfast service was very frustrating
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
MD, USA
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Perfect for my stay as a solo traveller as it was right in the heart of Toulouse. Big, clean room with cable TV and a luxurious bathroom. For a chain hotel, the room was beautifully decorated and still maintained a "French" style.

Stayed February 2008
Sussex
Reviewed January 6, 2008

With the passing of time, it has become our routine to celebrate our wedding anniveray each year by visiting new European locations. This year , between 3rd and 5th January, it was to be Toulouse, France as most of the other Capital cities have been marked off over previous years. The hotel accomodation was booked direct with the hotel via their website. Some excellent deals can be obtained via this route (we have the proof!).

Having arrived at Toulouse Airport, we opted to experiment with the public transport system to get us into the centre. Exiting at Gate C, we found a city shuttle bus which quickly took us into the centre.Because the city is almost all a pedestrian precinct, you have to leave the bus on one of the main roads which skirt the city centre. However, it took approximately 10 minutes to walk through two delightful little squares until we reached 'Le Capitol' , the main square where the 'hotel de ville' is located. Across the square from the town hall was located The Crowne Plaza Hotel. It is an imposing building situated above the shop, C&A.

As you enter the hotel, you get a warm feeling which is mirrored by the pleasant reception provided by the immaculately dressed staff.

The hotel has an air of finesse about it and is superbly furnished and decorated .

After a swift signing in procedure we found ourselves going by lift to floor three to our room, which was beautiful. Spacious, well equipped and with the biggest bed I've come across in all our travels (even America couldn't beat it!!), and a view across the square.

Luxuriant is the best way to descrtibe the fixtures and fittings.

Whilst there is a lovely restuarant downstairs which, from the menu was truly inviting, we dined out in the square both evenings we were there.

The breakfast each morning was amazing.The variety of food was simply breathtaking. Every kind of cheese, meat, bread,cakes, cereals could be found. That was without the cooked element of egg, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, hash brown and more.

The reception staff were extremely obliging and were only too willing to arrange tours(if needed) and resturant bookings. When arranging a visit to Cite Le Espace (a must) the staff went to great lengths to establish times, routes etc (we used the Metro and bus system which costs 2 Euros return for the day!!)

As we were due to fly home on an early flight, an alarm call was arranged (automatically done) and an early breakfast followed by an 'on time' taxi service arranged by the hotel.

Our three days in this buzzing University city were complimented by the excellent service provided by the hotel.One to put at the top of your list if intending to visit this city.

Ken Harwood

• Liked — It was sumptious, both in fittings and fixtures
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cotehele
london
Reviewed October 6, 2007

We choose this hotel for location and comfort and were not disappointed.

The location in the very attractive Place des Capitouls could not be bettered, and the old ,and very interesting, parts of Toulouse can easily be explored from here on foot.

The rooom (booked on the phone at a reasonable rate) was comfortable, with a lovely large, and firm, bed and perfectly pleasant bathroom. The air conditioning was adequate.The service was good, and reception staff friendly and helpful. All in all, would definitely use again if we return to Toulouse.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dotful
Bronx, New York
Reviewed September 1, 2007

I was kind of nervous visiting France as an American who cannot speak French. I was visiting friends in Toulouse who spoke both languages so I figured I would have no difficulties while with them, but I wanted a modern, air conditioned hotel to retire to, that was used to dealing with foreigners. A lot of the more charming hotels did not have AC, so I opted for safety with a large business chain in the center of the city. Desk staff could understand and speak English pretty well and didn't seem to mind as I attempted some French. AC was wonderful. Room was a plush "club-sized" room with a huge American style king size bed, which averaged 185 euros per night. It came with the fancy robes and mini bar, which I didn't use, as well as the water boiler and nightly turndown service with chocolates, which I did. Bathroom was large, with nice soaps, fresh flowers and a bidet (if you wish to avail yourself). Shower lacked a proper curtain however, just a barrier that covered half the length of the tub and resulted in a great deal of water on the floor after a shower. I noticed this design in 3 hotels in 3 European countries, so it seems endemic. Bed was very firm and comfortable. Room had a small table with two side chairs, as well as two armchairs in the corner, which is nice if you have a few people visiting. Room cleaning staff generally quite doting and professional. However after a very late night, I had not risen, showered or dressed until late that afternoon. They seemed very insistent on servicing the room no matter how many times I said "No necessaire" (Is that French?). Finally, after a few phone calls about cleaning the room and my need for towels, they settled on bringing fresh flowers after I indicated I was not dressing or leaving the room until that evening. Lovely lobbby with many comfortable seats, garden cafe, restaurant and bar. Sauna, hot tub and a few workout machines are in a small gym below the lobby. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Liked — Central location and foreigner friendly
  • Disliked — Sometimes the room does not need cleaning.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends