1,099 results
All reviewsclub roomplace du capitolegreat locationthe main squarecity squarechristmas marketfront desk staffinternal courtyardhotel is locatednice roomcomfortable roomsbusiness triplovely cityold citymini barair conditioningbars and restaurants
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We booked two nights on the 10th and 11th February. Even with an online direct booking, the room was far from cheap. The positives were that the room was quiet, the bed was comfortable and there was a kettle with tea,coffee etc. However, there was only one bath robe and one armchair, so one of us could sit in the chair and the other had to lie on the bed. The mini bar prices are outrageous, i.e. 40g mini pack of peanuts 6€,5mls of whisky or gin, 15 € and 12€ respectively. A can of tonic was €6 making a gin and tonic 18€!!! A bottle of water was 7€. These prices are aimed at business men who live on expenses. Our room was on the third floor in a corner and looked out onto another wall and the window of another room. No overhead lighting in the main part of the room. See my photograph.

We did not eat breakfast as at 24€ for the continental version, we again thought this extortionate. We decided on the second evening to have a drink in the bar before dining in the restaurant. My husband noticed the woman working behind the bar fill our glasses with tonic from a giant open bottle of tonic. Needless it say, it was flat and she replaced it. We then went to the restaurant and ordered from the €30 menu. My main course was pork fillet with caramelised apples and chestnuts. Sounds good, but when I cut into one of the two chunks of pork, it was raw inside. No vegetables, other than an orange smear of some sort of puree. I asked for the meat to be cooked some more. Not a popular request, judging by the look on the waitress's face. When it came back, on a piece of slate, I poured the gravy, in a small drinking glass, over the pork, and of course it ran off onto the table cloth. Why do chefs use slate? That's why we invented nice porcelaine plates surely. When the plates were taken away, there was a huge greasy stain on the table cloth from the gravy. Nothing was done to replace the cloth, so I folded the hem over it so I could rest my arms on the table whilst waiting for the dessert. This was a chocolate pudding with a liquid centre, with a pistachio sauce and for some reason a macaroon. The pudding was solid and bouncy. No liquid centre at all. Too heavy to eat and the sauce was icy cold. I left most of it and told the waitress it was not as advertised on the menu so she brought the manager. He asked what was wrong, so I mentioned the main course being uncooked, the dessert being solid, the slate being totally inappropriate for a dish with a sauce, or in fact any food in my opinion. He said it was the chefs decision and offered me another dessert or a glass of champagne. By this time, we were so upset by the meal being so disappointing, we just wanted to leave. However, no discount was offered for what was inedible food.

The reception staff were very good, especially Sheila, an English woman, and the location is good. However, overall, this hotel and restaurant are not 5 star, and we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nessie P
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Spent one night on a business trip. Hotel location is excellent and staff were all welcoming and helpful. The hotel isn't too big and the bedroom was comfortable but defintely overpriced for the overall quality of the hotel, which is about a 4 star. The bar is OK and I found the staff again very pleasant. The breakfast had a good buffet selection. This is defintely a business hotel and probably most companies don't mind paying the high rate but despite that, I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

we booked as a package so it was good value. Not worth the advertised prices if full price paid though. The hotel is rated 5 stars but should really be 4 stars max.
the location was excellent, right in the centre of town and very quiet as our room was facing a large inside "courtyard"
The hotel's staff were very helpfull and friendly.
There were llittle details missing in the room, like no coat hangers near the door entrance, nowhere to hang towels near the bathroom sink and no safe in the room although there is a possiblity to use one at the reception.
Overall a very pleasant stay but the hotel could be improved with only some small details....
I would recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Average but just has not grown up in a decade. Its taking business travellers for granted. Food too expensive and dull. Room at the back of the hotel was quiet enough. Bed was comfortable. Overall I just felt let down by the place. The croquet monsieur I had as a snack at the bar was terrible.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank John V
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This hotel has everything it should have - it just doesn't add up to a cohesive whole. Check -in took 25 minutes with only one receptionist answering external and internal telephone calls as well as dealing with a long line of waiting guests. The rooms are perfectly nice but the lighting inadequate. If you're hoping for soft fluffy towels you'll be disappointed with the sand paper quality of the ones in my room. If after a long journey you are looking forward to a relaxing night with the in house movie selection - make sure you bring a good book - it wasn't working. The Club Lounge breakfast was spectacular in it's paucity, probably the worst I've ever seen. Oh, and the wifi enjoyed several outages. The staff are perfectly nice and try to help but their authority seems to be limited and the conversation I had with the "Duty Manager" was, well, let's just say, "unhelpful". It is a great location though and the beds are great!

Room Tip: Many rooms face an internal courtyard.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business