“Beware of apartment formula”

Citadines Wilson Toulouse
Ranked #56 of 130 Hotels in Toulouse
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Citadines was booked for me by the travel department of another company on whose behalf I was making the trip, so I was unaware that this was an "apartment hotel". Each room (or studio if you prefer) has a small kitchen with fridge, microwave, dishwasher, two cook plates and a somewhat motley collection of plates, cutlery and glasses (some of the latter you will have to use for the bathroom). There is a vacuum cleaner in the wardrobe. The bathroom is fully equipped and the toilet is separate. The bed is a sofa bed (which guests must pull out themselves upon arrival). Internet is by cable but free of charge and worked without any problem throughout my stay. There is a flat-screen TV and mini hi-fi. The room has combined heating and air conditioning but the weather during my stay was of the kind where you don't need either, so I cannot judge about their quality.

The rooms are distributed over the main building and another building at the back, which you reach via an (unattractive) patio. It seems from other reviews that the rooms in the main building can be quite noisy because of the boulevard. The rooms in the other building, where I was staying, were very quiet.

The apartment formula means that the rooms are only serviced once a week. For bed linen this is normal practice which I have no problem with. If you want the bed made up you have to do it yourself (OK I can live with that too - although at 125 Euros per night it does not seem unreasonable to expect otherwise). The real problem I had is that towels were also not replaced for the four nights I was there (which in my case meant at least 8 showers). Fortunately I was on my own in a double room so I had a double "ration" of towels I could use.

Being a good sleeper the sofa bed didn't bother me but I could feel quite well that I was not exactly lying on a high-class mattress. People with back problems are advised to stay away.

The hotel serves breakfast, which, however, is rudimentary for 9.50 Euros. My advice is to have breakfast in the room (there is a well-stocked mini-market next door) or in one of the cafés on the Place Wilson - a delight on a sunny morning.

In the kitchen in my room I hit another snag: no tea towels were supplied (this place clearly has a towel problem). This forced me to run the dishwasher sometimes for just one plate and two glasses - not exactly something to improve my ecological footprint.

To end on a positive note: the staff were friendly and the hotel is in a top location, close to Place Wilson, Place du Capitole and loads of restaurants. If you like the idea of having your own kitchen I can even recommend this place but not for more than say two nights, after which you'll run out of towels...

Room Tip: Rooms in the building at the back (room numbers prefixed with "D") seem to be much quieter...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
toulousewilson, General Manager at Citadines Wilson Toulouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

In a Citadines Apart'hotel, residents get to enjoy the comfort of living in an apartment with an efficient use of space while enjoying the convenience of a hotel. Although some standard services are already included to the room rate (such as once-a-week housekeeping service), residents can choose other optional services, chargeable at nominal rates, based on their schedules and lifestyle preferences. Daily housekeeping service and breakfast in the lounge are some of the optional services that we offer.

As part of our concept in efficient use of space, sofa beds are used to help maximize the living space in the studios. Nevertheless, we have been listening to our residents’ feedback and we are pleased to share that we are replacing the sofa beds with regular beds in phases. Should a regular bed be preferred, our residents can make a request for an apartment with regular twin or double bed configuration.
We appreciate your review as your feedback helps us to improve our product and services to meet the needs and expectation of our residents. Thank you also for your compliments about our service and facilities. We hope to welcome you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Citadines Wilson Toulouse

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Run from the hotel please don't come near it . The staff are not helpful . The hotel is three star but I say it is one star really. They don't clean your room and the floor are discusting if you walk your leg will be black the room is tiny the bed is small. The A/C is all dusty.

My son has allergy from the rooms. This is my first time in three star hotel and it was really bad. But the location is good.

I don't recommend this terrible hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank 123A321
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I didn't want to rate this place "Average", but it wasn't quite "very good" The main hotel was very clean & well maintained however our room could have done with a bit more of a deep clean! The sofa & carpets were both quite stained in places & the stairs and hard surfaces were all very dusty. However the important parts; the beds, toilet, shower/bath & sink were all spotless so I can't complain there!

Having a kitchenette was very helpful, particularly being a vegetarian on holiday in France! It had everything we needed really, the only thing I would comment on is the lack of pans! We only had a really tiny milk pan or a HUGE casserole pan!

The staff were lovely & very helpful, they spoke excellent English & showed us where all the local mini markets were. The location of the hotel is really good.

On a side note, if you're in Toulouse on a Sunday, the street Flea Markets are really worth a visit!

Room Tip: We were on the very top floor & couldn't hear any traffic noise at all from the road below.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2011

It was not my first time staying at the Citadines in Toulouse but how I wish it was my last. I agree that it is located at the most central of locations in Toulouse, that there is a well stocked mini market right next to it, not forgetting the famous L'Entrcote restaurant just across and the Metro and airport coach stop just around the corner. However, I have never been more displeased with a hotel than this place ever before. The rooms are cleaned once a week. The reception was closed at night with no whatsoever means of communication in case of emergency (thank God nothing happened). The rooms are pretty old and most have a terrible toilet stench. I requested to stow my folding bike in the luggage room for a couple of hours because I was rushing off to an appointment and the staff at the desk said it was impossible because there was no room. When I showed her that the bike folds up quite tidyly she said sarcastically that it had to fold more than that so that it can be put on a small box in order for them to store it! They don't even have enough storage and yet here they go insulting their tenants. They typically don't oblige to any of your requests.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed August 31, 2011

On the good site: The hotel is well located. The staff was very friendly and helping out in order to fix the internet connection. On the other hand, we had dirty water (redish rusty or at times even black) for 3 days when we turned on the warm water. Talking to other guests they reported the same problem. The receptionist told us to keep the water running and then the problem would go away (supposedly they had the pipes repaired a couple of days beforehand, and the dirty water was resulting from this repair): until the end of the stay (four days in total) nothing changed.
Moreover the rooms are not cleaned. So if you run out of things you have to call for them. This is pretty basic stuff that should be standard by now.
Although Citadines looks like an average hotel, the lack of these basic things make the hotel earn at most two stars.
Would I go here again: No. For a cheaper price you will find better hotels at an equally good location (e.g.square at corner Rue Embarthe/Rue de la Chaine).
Sorry guys you do not meet the hotel 101 standards!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The hotel is small, clean, friendly and at the centre of town. i stayed there for 10 nights. i enjoyed my stay. i liked the location and the friendness of the staff. THe rooms are large and bright, and the the small Kitchenette is handy. There is some noice due to manitinance going on at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed there for a week during a business trip last month and felt very well welcome by the friendly staff. Residence apartment are clean and extremely pratical / well equiped, in addition to a convenient location. Will surely be back next time. Thank you

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business