“まるで日本で食っていた / A little slice of Japan in Toulouse”
Review of Shin-ya Ramen

Shin-ya Ramen
Ranked #13 of 2,245 Restaurants in Toulouse
Description: Mini ramen shop de 10 places au comptoir uniquement ! Ne prends aucune réservation! 1er arrivé 1er servi ! N’accepte aucun groupe incomplet!
Reviewed August 31, 2018

日本人ではありませんが、日本に勉強や旅行のために何回か通ったことがあるから、日本料理をよく食べます。今回はフランスでの研修のついでに3人の友達と一緒にこの店で夕食を食べました。一時間半の待ち時間でしたが、整理券制度だったから、店舗の外で待たなくてもよかったです。フランスではあまりない制度ですね。

10席とスタッフ2人しかいないラーメン屋ですが、スタッフの2人はとても親切でした。サービスと雰囲気はまるで日本のラーメン屋にいたようです。

メニューは醤油ラーメンがメインで油そばや冷やし中華もあるから、選択肢はいくつかあります。私達は全員違うものを注文しましたが、私は油そばと餃子を試しました。出された料理は全てお代わりを注文したいほどおいしかったです。餃子はぱりっと焼いていて、油そばのしょっぱさとあぶらっぽさはちょうどよかった。味はフランス人の口に合わせるために調味されたと思いますが、純正日本料理です。必ず戻ります。

トゥールーズでは人気なラーメン屋みたいなので、ここで食べたかったら、早く着いた方がいい。

I visited this place on a Friday evening together with three other friends, and the place definitely fills up quickly. We arrived 20 minutes before the place opened for dinner at 7pm, and barely made the third (and last) seating at 8.30pm. Although it was a 1.5h wait, the waitress gave us tickets that we could return at the seating time to be seated, so we did not have to stay in the queue for the entire duration and were free to leave and explore the nearby area until 8.30pm. This was a considerate touch that I rarely see in eating establishments.

Regarding the ambiance, I would say that the place is cozy, seating only 10 people at a time and having only 2 staff members around (the waitress and chef). The menu was only in Japanese and French, but the waitress spoke English as well, which was convenient for my friends, who only spoke English.

We each ordered a different dish, and found no fault with any of them. The food here is seasoned slightly differently to fit the French palate, but is otherwise as authentic as any street-side ramen shop in Japan serving the same menu items. Personally, I ordered the abura soba and gyoza and was delighted by both dishes. The gyoza were juicy and had a crispy skin, exactly how they should be cooked. The abura soba was not too salty nor oily, the meat was tender, and the noodles were cooked perfectly, such that they were chewy but not too soft. It was a highly satisfying meal that I can see myself having once or twice a month.

In conclusion, the place is definitely popular and some menu items even ran out by the third seating, so queuing before the place opens is definitely advised. Note also that shoyu ramen is the main dish served here, so it's definitely not the place to be if you're looking for tonkotsu, miso, or shio ramen.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

A very unique and genuine place to enjoy real fresh japanese Ramen, very small dining area but so authentic. I tried the ground pork, chili oil one sesame sauce, just excellent. The place might be a bit hot during summer time due to poor ventilation but beside that, great place to eat. Arrive a bit before opening time because it's quite a popular place in Toulouse and queue might be already formingon the sidewalk

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

I got in line 10 minutes before opening, and I was lucky to get a seat at the 10-person bar. Was it worth it? Absolutely. The broth was delicious, and the noodles had great texture. Also, their pork (I ordered chashu-men) was perfectly cooked, and it was a great topping. I highly recommend this place if you can manage to get a spot.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed January 29, 2018

We came here without a reservation and were lucky to get a seat for the second dinner round (they have two seating round for dinner, second round around 9pm). The place is very small (10 places), which gives it a cozy and very traditional feeling (how I know it from my time when I lived in Japan).

The cook and staff are Japanese, which also speaks for the authenticity of this place.

We first had the Gyoza which are delicious, crusty and on point. Then we both decided for the chashu ramen. Absolutely tasty ramen! Especially the quality and amount of the meat were very good. Each of us had a beer. All together we paid 40 €, which is a fair price.

I never expected such a good Japanese ramen place in Toulouse.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed December 13, 2017 via mobile

I tried ramen and it was delicious and the staff very friendly, they explain you all you need. Good price and big dishes.
I totally recomend this restaurant.

Date of visit: December 2017